Conquer Club

Map Contributions

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Contributions

Postby -=LRK=- on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:28 pm

I have a few map ideas that I wanted to work on to contribute, but it seems to me, that greater care is involved with making these maps perfect before anyone even has a chance to try them out. I would love to see a Beta Map section I can play from because, I gotta tell ya, the map choices are terribly limited as it stands. I see maps in development I would never play, and also maps I would love to try out right now.

I just got here, and I hate to rock the boat, but Lux Deluxe has 1,2,3,4,... 500 bajillion maps to choose from. http://sillysoft.net/lux/maps/pictures_all.php I don't know whats good, bad, or indifferent, but, wow.... that's a lot of maps.

All I am saying is, i would rather get a map into play with cheesy graphics when the map is playable. Let the pretty artwork and super details follow with later updates.
Sergeant -=LRK=-

Re: Map Contributions

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:01 pm

-=LRK=- wrote:I have a few map ideas that I wanted to work on to contribute, but it seems to me, that greater care is involved with making these maps perfect before anyone even has a chance to try them out. I would love to see a Beta Map section I can play from because, I gotta tell ya, the map choices are terribly limited as it stands. I see maps in development I would never play, and also maps I would love to try out right now.

I just got here, and I hate to rock the boat, but Lux Deluxe has 1,2,3,4,... 500 bajillion maps to choose from. http://sillysoft.net/lux/maps/pictures_all.php I don't know whats good, bad, or indifferent, but, wow.... that's a lot of maps.

All I am saying is, i would rather get a map into play with cheesy graphics when the map is playable. Let the pretty artwork and super details follow with later updates.

unlike luxdelux we have certain standards here. :wink:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:34 pm

boo lux deluxe
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby KoolfuZ on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:40 pm

I would love to see some kind of beta testing for maps. As it is now, 3/4 of foundry discussion is about appearance -- and what little consideration is given to gameplay is purely theoretical, since we have no way of testing the maps. It would be great to be able to play unrated games on maps in development, so flaws could be spotted before the map goes public, or even before the graphics are very far along. Beta testing could be restricted to premium members, or even to a private club, and only on the condition that players leave feedback. But there ought to be some way to test gameplay.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby DiM on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:49 pm

KoolfuZ wrote:I would love to see some kind of beta testing for maps. As it is now, 3/4 of foundry discussion is about appearance -- and what little consideration is given to gameplay is purely theoretical, since we have no way of testing the maps. It would be great to be able to play unrated games on maps in development, so flaws could be spotted before the map goes public, or even before the graphics are very far along. Beta testing could be restricted to premium members, or even to a private club, and only on the condition that players leave feedback. But there ought to be some way to test gameplay.

actualy you're wrong. some people actually test the maps. i have over 50 games on my AoM map and coleman has playtested several maps. ofcourse it could be done much easier on the site then the way we do it (by printing the map and playing with real dice and troops)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby -=LRK=- on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Personally, I believe that if a map is good play, no one is going to mind playing it while it evolves. So I think it should be available for premium play, clearly named a BETA, even if they don't want to critique it. That can be left for the few who want to be involved in development. Just say that any BETA game can be canceled without warning (or, you could keep 2 versions live during a map upgrade or something waiting for matches to end).

All I am saying is, if you allow the gameplay for beta maps, it will encourage development because the mapmaker will get an instant gratification in seeing his work being enjoyed. And if it is not well liked, he won't continue to waste development time.

The whole reason I brought this up in the first place was because another message around here somewhere. The map had everyones blessing and one guy was complaining about some artwork. The mapmakers reply was in frustration because he knew it was playable, wanted to see it in motion, but had to go back to the drawing for some reason.[/img]
Sergeant -=LRK=-

Postby ericwdhs on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:42 pm

I think playable BETA maps is a good idea. However, they should be separated from the official maps and games played on them should not be scored. I see plenty of maps in the foundry that deserve testing on gameplay but never make it past the graphics stage.
Sergeant ericwdhs

Postby zeppelin90 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:00 am

lux deluxe is a nub site.

i've looked at their maps and so many of them suck and it keeps players away having so many freaking choices - most being bad choices. i'd like to say CC is much more professional.
Colonel zeppelin90

Postby hulmey on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:35 am

You have to pay big bucks to playe DE-LUX so i think we are doing quite well here.....

Also this thing about people play testing there maps at home is silly...I agree with the above poster...Before a map is put on the site permantely it should undergo some tests to see how it plays....Obviulsy if its tested at home by coleman and dim and there buddies certain things are going to be overlooked....

I mean are games played in escalating, with or without cards????

All you got to see is some really good looking maps like chinese checkers, artic map,KOTM, senate and 8 thoughts and they have horrid game play and are hardly being played on at all...THIS BY NO MEANS IS A STAB AGAINST THE ARTIST'S WHO INVENTED THEM.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:32 am

Alternatively perhaps a "Beta Testing" section of members that you can apply to join and are vetted by the BigWigs... that can play some of the FF maps to ensure they all work before they are quenched...

All these Beta games should be no pointers...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Molacole on Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:40 am

if there is a beta team I would love to be on it!!!

probably be best if scores weren't recorded, but either way I want in!
Lieutenant Molacole

Postby d.gishman on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm

Beta testing is a great idea, actually. I have noticed in the past with some maps, the first group of people who play the new maps sometimes get XML problems (like certain boundaries can't attack properly)

and luxdelux might have a lot of maps, but may i point to you to this:
http://sillysoft.net/lux/maps/Horsey
It's a map... of a horse's face. need i say more?
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Return to Foundry Discussions