Conquer Club

maps

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

maps

Postby demon7896 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm

what do you consider to be "a bad map" i mean like, what qualities. i like maps like the old rome map, which are bright, but not to bright, and are about intresting topics. small maps are good too. however, my favorite is age of realms, both might and magic, cause they're the easiest to win :lol:
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON MY ENEMIES...
CAUSE I SURE AS HELL WON'T!
Private demon7896

Postby Coleman on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:42 pm

I think a bad map is one that causes people to pm me and complain about it. A good map draws no such angst.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Right now, the Brazil Revamp....with RL stuff it's taking me forever, and I feel bad because I know the foundry wants a revamp. Sorry all :cry:

Other than that, pixelation, hard to read words, and gaudy/extremely bright or clashing colors all turn me off.
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Postby Herakilla on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:07 am

in my opinion a good map is one that the vast majority of players like playing on and will do so many times, it doesnt have to be simple as long as everyone can understand it, it doesnt have to look pretty as long as the game play is unique and superb. but i would like it to be complicated and pretty lol
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby oaktown on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:29 am

For me a bad map is one that looks like it was done without attention to detail. This can include just about anything: colors don't go together, text is unnecessarily hyphenated, graphic elements were hastily created or don't work together, some elements look 'flat,' lines are pixelly, legend doesn't make sense, attack routes are unclear, etc.

All maps are without attention to detail early on, so in the early stages of a map I would never call it bad... the idea might be bad, but i try to reserve judgement on the image until the thing gets rolling. We just hope that by the time people start yelling "Forge!" the little things have been caught and addressed. We've had a few maps reach the Forge recently that, while in no means bad maps, lack attention to detail; hopefully as a result of recent discussions some of this will be remedied.

Edit: just left posts in ten map threads. I suggest everybody else do the same to help improve overall map quality!
Captain oaktown

Postby Lone.prophet on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:06 am

either maps that dont look graphicly, pixelated wrong, color combos or just a bad overall feeling

or maps that have no overview and are just a bunch of confusion
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby demon7896 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:28 pm

oh, i forgot about lousy fonts
MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON MY ENEMIES...
CAUSE I SURE AS HELL WON'T!
Private demon7896

Return to Foundry Discussions