Conquer Club

Germany Revamp

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Germany revamp?

Total votes : 0

Germany Revamp

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:11 pm

How would everybody feel about one? Either another competition I guess, or I might see if I can contact Hoff (the mapmaker) to get permission. Post your thoughts.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 pm

There are others that need revamping before this one I reckon?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:15 pm

This is actually a pretty darn good way of figuring out what revamps we should do. Going to direct gimil to this next time he's around.

I voted no btw.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Ogrecrusher on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:21 pm

I vote yay, but then I think a lot of maps on the site look nowhere near as good as what it takes to get quenched now.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby Lone.prophet on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:26 pm

sry but there are ones that need to be done first, like brasil
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby lanyards on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Lone.prophet wrote:sry but there are ones that need to be done first, like brasil

There is a Brazil revamp going on right now but I don't think it is going anywhere.
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby pepperonibread on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:42 pm

Two other good candidates for a revamp could be Tamriel and N. America. I would say Brazil, but like lanyards said, there's one going on already.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Gilligan on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:46 pm

I don't think Tamriel needs a revamp.

Germany, on the other hand, could use one.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Lets keep this on the topic of Germany and handle other maps as they come up...

In a slightly contradictory statement to that, I voted no for this because other maps really do need it a lot more then Germany does.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby edbeard on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:17 pm

well I don't think is asking for 'is this the map most in need of a revamp' thread. It's just asking about germany.

I say yes.

I don't see why we need to do them in order of 'in dire need of a revamp' all the way to 'needs a revamp at some point'

someone wants to do it then go ahead and try to do it if the original dude wants it.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Coleman on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 pm

I also voted no because I like how Germany looks, and if British Isles came up for a vote I would have voted no to that too, but it didn't because of the nature of that revamp...

Anyway, gimil will be running several and I believe Germany is on the list anyways. It's his domain now. Not mine. Arguing about it or the methods with me doesn't solve anything.

I agree that there is no reason to do them in order of need unless we can only do them one at a time.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:40 pm

lanyards wrote:
Lone.prophet wrote:sry but there are ones that need to be done first, like brasil

There is a Brazil revamp going on right now but I don't think it is going anywhere.

It is in the process, but I have posted that I have a ton of RL crap going on right now, and have to focus on it first. I have also posted that if anybody would like to help me with it so it goes much quicker, just shoot me a PM and I would gladly accept the help. Sorry it's taking so long, but like I said, I have a ton of crap going on right now that takes precendence over CC :cry:. If you wanna help, just let me know :D (it would really help me out, a ton!)

To keep on topic, I voted yes. Although Germany isnt' the worst, it could definately use some improvements.
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Re: Germany Revamp

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:37 pm

pepperonibread wrote:How would everybody feel about one? Either another competition I guess, or I might see if I can contact Hoff (the mapmaker) to get permission. Post your thoughts.

i think you would do a GREAT job at it :wink: , no only if Gimil will accpect it.
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Lone.prophet on Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:37 am

there are maps that need it more DONT do germany first.
Captain Lone.prophet

Postby militant on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:45 am

I voted yes. Germany isnt the map in most need of a revamp, but it could do with one.
Guys I am intentionally lurking. Discuss; Play mafia, it is good.
Oderint Dum Metuant says: Don't confuse the easily confused!
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 am

i voted nay. but not because i don't want germany revamped it's because i don't want any map revamped at least not in the way it has been done so far.

all revamps are fine with the condition that the old map is still available. i simply don't like some revamps and consider the old map better despite the lower graphics. if we have something like an option in the game
[small]
[large]
[revamp]

then i wouldn't care because i'd know i can always switch back to the original.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby militant on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:47 am

DiM wrote:i voted nay. but not because i don't want germany revamped it's because i don't want any map revamped at least not in the way it has been done so far.

all revamps are fine with the condition that the old map is still available. i simply don't like some revamps and consider the old map better despite the lower graphics. if we have something like an option in the game
[small]
[large]
[revamp]

This would definatly keep all the player's happy, although it would create quite a strain on the server to have all the previous maps. With this maybe coleman and andy would be less worried about revamp's in case people kick up a fuss like they did with the canada revamp. :(

Edit: If i am not mistaken this could be implemted pretty easily, i dont know because i dont progam stuff lol, but if you can have 2 images for each game (large and small) then it would be easy to add a third because they would require the same xml as well. :D Just a thought :P

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:42 am

militant wrote:
DiM wrote:i voted nay. but not because i don't want germany revamped it's because i don't want any map revamped at least not in the way it has been done so far.

[small]
[large]
[revamp]

This would definatly keep all the player's happy, although it would create quite a strain on the server to have all the previous maps. With this maybe coleman and andy would be less worried about revamp's in case people kick up a fuss like they did with the canada revamp. :(

Edit: If i am not mistaken this could be implemted pretty easily, i dont know because i dont progam stuff lol, but if you can have 2 images for each game (large and small) then it would be easy to add a third because they would require the same xml as well. :D Just a thought :P
This is not going to happen. Lack has told me that he does not want both maps on the site. An original might have more history, but in general a revamp looks better. He likes the revamps more and does not want to allow players to choose.

If you have any issues with that , he is th guy to talk to.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby gimil on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:00 am

Germany is definetly one thats high on my potential revamp list. So i vote yes.

Isee no reason why pep couldnt handle the germany revamp. If he wants to get in touch with hoff then thats one less thing for me to do :D

pep you have my full support. If you get permission be sure to get in contact with me :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby lanyards on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:05 am

militant wrote:If i am not mistaken this could be implemted pretty easily, i dont know because i dont progam stuff lol, but if you can have 2 images for each game (large and small) then it would be easy to add a third because they would require the same xml as well. :D Just a thought :P

Actually, they would need different XMLs. Sometimes the territory names change and the coordinates will always change.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:14 am

lanyards wrote:
militant wrote:If i am not mistaken this could be implemted pretty easily, i dont know because i dont progam stuff lol, but if you can have 2 images for each game (large and small) then it would be easy to add a third because they would require the same xml as well. :D Just a thought :P

Actually, they would need different XMLs. Sometimes the territory names change and the coordinates will always change.

--lanyards

and that's not a problem. there are 2 solutions to keep the old maps.

1. the way i suggested where inside the game you have the option to see the old map. what this needs is a simple xml coding inside the same xml. you'll have revamp and original xmls inside the same file and when the [original] button is selected it automatically querries for the original xml tags.

2. have 2 separate maps in the game finder. original and revamp. each with it's files and games.

method 1 is more subtle and adaptable but it would require some work
method 2 is more obvious but it's the simplest to implement.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:20 am

WidowMakers wrote:This is not going to happen. Lack has told me that he does not want both maps on the site. An original might have more history, but in general a revamp looks better. He likes the revamps more and does not want to allow players to choose.

If you have any issues with that , he is th guy to talk to.

WM

this is wrong and i'm sure it upsets many many players.

each of us likes a map and is familiar with it and has history on it. once you revamp it all is lost.
some revamps are successful some aren't

for example circus maximus. never liked the map and never played it. i'm fine with the revamp because i have nothing to do with the old map and the new look looks great.

but look at canada. i really liked that map. the revamp is very nice graphically speaking but for me canada is dead and i'll never play it again because of the revamp, same goes for montreal. i have memories with montreal.

and same will be when british isles will be quenched.

despite having better graphics, canada montreal and british isles are totally destroyed for me. 3 maps i'll never play again. and there are many people that think the same.

sure you'll say i have 70 other maps to choose from but that's the wrong attitude.

to be honest i will never allow revamping for my own maps. i'd rather have them removed completely than revamped
Major DiM

Postby mibi on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:54 am

DiM wrote:each of us likes a map and is familiar with it and has history on it. once you revamp it all is lost.

big deal. if you are looking for permanence, then avoid the internet.
Captain mibi

Postby militant on Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:13 am

lanyards wrote:

--lanyards

Oh, , i was justing thinking about it earlier, never mind :roll:

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:34 pm

mibi wrote:
DiM wrote:each of us likes a map and is familiar with it and has history on it. once you revamp it all is lost.

big deal. if you are looking for permanence, then avoid the internet.

i'm not talking about permanence i'm talking about satisfied customers.

in case you missed it there were about 20 or so threads protesting against the canada revamp for example. those people were complaining because one of their favourite maps was changed for the worse. unhappy customers means less money less money means unhappy lack.

now would it have been that hard to keep the original canada and next to it a canada revamp? i doubt it would have been hard. in fact it would have meant just 5 minutes of uploading for lack. 5 minutes which would have made everybody happy. both those that like the new version and thse that like the old.

when pacman 3d (the video game) was released did a nasty guy come to my house tear my floppy of the ancient pacman and gave me a shiny cd with pacman 3d? no they simply made it and launched it for those that wanted a 3d version. no obligations and nobody forced me to play the new version and give up the old one.

and since we're talking about pacman let's look at wm's conquerman map. it's a map with feeling, the gfx make all the feeling for that map as well as the little animations. what if after 1 year some guy decides to change the graphics and get rid of all the pixelization and the strong colors and stuff like that. what if the new version is antialiased and pastelated? yes it will look better but it won't have any feeling. this is what happens to the revamps. they die. no matter how good the new version is it will never be able to replace the original.
Major DiM

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions