Conquer Club

Threads per page

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Threads per page

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:13 pm

So Twill has reduced the number of threads per page from 50 to 25 in the forum to try and increase performance a little. This got me thinking do we really need 50 threads on the first page in the foundry? do we even need 25? There is never more that a dozen good map in production and even less than that make it to final froge. So i put it to you, how many threads do we want on the first page of the foundry?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Threads per page

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:32 pm

gimil wrote:So Twill has reduced the number of threads per page from 50 to 25 in the forum to try and increase performance a little. This got me thinking do we really need 50 threads on the first page in the foundry? do we even need 25? There is never more that a dozen good map in production and even less than that make it to final froge. So i put it to you, how many threads do we want on the first page of the foundry?

Phew...i thought we were going to have a thread police there for a mo LOL.

I think 25 is a good number.
a. it will reduce the number of map that we have to troll through on the foundry & new idea pages.
b. it will still allow people to find the most recently quenched maps in Final Forge.
Any less would be disastrous for feedback...people would get sick of going from page to page to page.....they already have to do this in the map productions.

Which brings me to a :?:

Does this also apply to the map threads. my reason for asking is that some of these threads produce large volumes of feedback (and tripe sometimes).

I have suggested this before, but is it possible to get each page to produce the current version of the map (from page 1) at the top of each page in a mpa thread so that feedbackers always have something to refer to?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:37 pm

i like 50 better.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Think about what will happen if an active map slips to page 2. Without bumping it will be lost forever, and we dont want bumping.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Qwert on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Then mine maps will go in page two too :wink:
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Think about what will happen if an active map slips to page 2. Without bumping it will be lost forever, and we dont want bumping.

Actually i think 15-20 is a good number if a map falls to page 2 and the carto doesnt resurface it then it shows a lack of committment and leave space for other maps to contnue through hte process.

and carins you seem to be rambling a bit, can you re-phrase your question please :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wicked on Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 pm

It really doesn't matter, as people will look as far down as they want to. If anything, the more the better, b/c threads on the 2nd page would be soon forgotten. For uniformity, I doubt we'll make different parts of the forum different, so it's likely a moot point.
Major wicked

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:02 pm

wicked wrote:It really doesn't matter, as people will look as far down as they want to. If anything, the more the better, b/c threads on the 2nd page would be soon forgotten. For uniformity, I doubt we'll make different parts of the forum different, so it's likely a moot point.

doesnt hurt to discuss. In the foundry your lucky if people make it half way downth forst page when browsing, very rarely does a thread get bumped from the furnace by someone other than the OP.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wicked on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:06 pm

well if you're that bored I guess. Kinda silly to push threads back to the 2nd page, where they're substantially less likely to be seen, when you're constantly trying to get more people in here participating. It doesn't gain you anything by making it smaller, except a teensy bit less load time.
Major wicked

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:09 pm

25 is more than enough. i doubt there are more than 10-15 trully active maps at the same time in the main foundry.

in fact when we had 50 threads per page, the ones at the bottom had the last post more than 1 month ago. if a map stays even a week without any posts then it's worth abandoning.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:11 pm

wicked wrote:well if you're that bored I guess. Kinda silly to push threads back to the 2nd page, where they're substantially less likely to be seen, when you're constantly trying to get more people in here participating. It doesn't gain you anything by making it smaller, except a teensy bit less load time.

Well making it smaller would probably make the foundry a little easier to understand and work, like DiM just said anything mre than a week without a post isnt doing the foundry a favour, getting more people in and more feedback would be better achived by reducing the size and gicing a little more focus on whats worth posting in.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby wicked on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:03 pm

they're just threads guys, it doesn't make it "easier to understand" if there's more or less of them. It's not rocket science after all. :lol: Pushing some to the second page would make people more likely to bump. The ones near the bottom of the page are most likely the ones that NEED discussion anyway to keep the map going, so why make it harder for that to happen. Either way, it's an absurdly silly thing to discuss, so I'm gone. I don't see us having it different for different areas of the forum anyway.
Major wicked

Postby MrBenn on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Does the 25 threads per page include all the stickies?? If that is the case, then I recommend a new sub-forum for all Quenched maps, so that the FF ones don't need to be stickied...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby yeti_c on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:Does the 25 threads per page include all the stickies?? If that is the case, then I recommend a new sub-forum for all Quenched maps, so that the FF ones don't need to be stickied...

I think this small limit will be lifted soon.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:33 am

25 works for the foundry... right now there are only two or three active maps that have been bumped to page two, and they'll float back up soon and replace the abandoned and vacationed threads on page one (as long as we stop bumping them!)
Captain oaktown

Postby gimil on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:30 am

After i spoke to Twill he says that he couldnt keep this for the foudrey, with the entire forum its all or nothing :(

Maybe when PHPBB3 shows up we can request to go back to 25.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby FreeMan10 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am

Forum know-nothing here...

Could the cut-off be date based? i.e. anything with a post within the last 7 days is on page one, everything else floats backwards.

This will keep ALL active maps on the main page, and if you notice that yours has disappeared, you might want to take it as a hint. (of what, I won't make any implications ;))
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby gimil on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 pm

FreeMan10 wrote:Forum know-nothing here...

Could the cut-off be date based? i.e. anything with a post within the last 7 days is on page one, everything else floats backwards.

This will keep ALL active maps on the main page, and if you notice that yours has disappeared, you might want to take it as a hint. (of what, I won't make any implications ;))

I was thinking about something similar and twill told me that anything is possible with PHPBB3. The PHP site offers requests for board mods. So im planning to (once apporved) apply for a few mods once we see whats possible with default PHPBB3 :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:05 pm

DiM wrote:in fact when we had 50 threads per page, the ones at the bottom had the last post more than 1 month ago. if a map stays even a week without any posts then it's worth abandoning.
I agree with this, 100%.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby oaktown on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:44 pm

FreeMan10 wrote:Forum know-nothing here...

Take a look at the forum right now - there are only four thread at the bottom that haven't seen new posts in the past week. I think we're in pretty good shape as is. Same goes for Foundry Discussion.
Captain oaktown

Return to Foundry Discussions