Conquer Club

Map Categories/sorting

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Map Categories/sorting

Postby mattosaurus on Wed May 13, 2009 7:16 pm

We are getting to the point that we have a lot of maps to look through to find one we want to play. We should create map categories, and sort the maps into their categories so we can find what we're looking for much faster.
    Make different categories and sort each map into its own sub category. Here are some suggestions of ways to sort them:
    Size: Make a Small, Medium and a Large category, sorting them by the number of territories.
    Location: Sort them by the continent they come from, and have another subcategory for make believe places.
    Gameplay type: Sort by whether they are a "classic map" with continents or other forms of bonuses and objectives.
    Obviously, we should still have a comprehensive list as well, so you can browse in the original manner as well.
And also, we should have each map sorted within each browsing category, so have it in size, gameplay and location and also any other ways to sort maps that we come up with, so please make suggestions on other ways we can sort them.

Map finding and creation will be helped by this
    Well, obviously, this will help us be able to find a good map for what we want quicker, as opposed to having to search through the hundred or so maps we have on here.
    I like having a ton of map options as it makes for exciting games to have to figure out how to play the map, so don't take this as having to decrease the number of maps or stop making maps.
    This will also make it easier to get new maps made (a plus for mapmakers like me) because people will be less afraid to have more maps. What does it matter how many maps we have as long as they are unique in some way? Server space isn't a problem, its getting cheaper all the time. The only reason to have less maps would be to keep out confusion on finding a good map. If we sort the maps, then that alleviates the finding of a good map, so we can make more maps. If we have some support for a map, why not allow it to be made? This will get rid of the only reason to not have lots of maps.

Check out my map in the making: Testosterone VS Estrogen
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=85196
Sergeant 1st Class mattosaurus

Re: Map Categories/sorting

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed May 13, 2009 7:19 pm

I think this is what you're looking for ;)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby mattosaurus on Wed May 13, 2009 11:43 pm

It doesn't have a thing for number of territories though. Maybe we should add that. And make a link in a well known place that people would see.

Postby squishyg on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:44 pm

I would also like to see number of territories, particularly when I'm the one starting the game. It would help by being a quick reference when determining how many players to have if you want to avoid neutrals.
Captain squishyg

Postby chipv on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:39 pm

It does have number of territories on each map page. Granted it is not displayed in the full list but the numbers are there.
Captain chipv

Postby mibi on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:I think this is what you're looking for ;)

that's for map makers, not players.
Captain mibi

Postby chipv on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 pm

mibi wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:I think this is what you're looking for ;)

that's for map makers, not players.

Completely wrong, sorry. The whole point of it was to give players new to maps a full breakdown so that they could make a more informed opinion on which maps they should or want to play, the game finder/ browse maps doesn't give much warning.
Captain chipv

Postby Thezzaruz on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 am

chipv wrote:Completely wrong, sorry. The whole point of it was to give players new to maps a full breakdown so that they could make a more informed opinion on which maps they should or want to play, the game finder/ browse maps doesn't give much warning.

No it isn't chip. The first view is very heavy on map makers props (don't get me wrong, they deserve recognition). The search function can do exact map, exact feature, maker, makers home country and launch date. And as the only one of these that is really helpful to players is the feature one and then we're still missing most of the ones the OP (and other suggestions) have asked for such as size, style (geographic, historic and so on), difficulty and others. Also it's an off site thing without any obvious links from the game creation/search pages so very few will ever find it.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great tool that I use a lot and you deserve major props for running it but it is a very poor solution to the OPs suggestion.
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby chipv on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:04 am

You're failing to recognise the additional information contained on each map page and at the same time missing the point of the web page, however I have no dispute with this being incompatible with the OP's suggestion (your use of the word poor fails to recognise that I have not advertised this as a solution to this suggestion at all, just correcting the mistake that this webpage is for mapmakers - it is not, it is for players - I should know the reason why it exists, right, there is no other catalogue of map properties that is easily accessible, new players can't easily find one way borders in advance of playing maps - I agree it should be easier to find, I have argued this before to no avail.
Captain chipv

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:40 am

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=36514&hilit=map+catagories

A big effort was made some time back, and I still think it's still being kicked around.
Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:46 am

chipv wrote:You're failing to recognise the additional information contained on each map page and at the same time missing the point of the web page, however I have no dispute with this being incompatible with the OP's suggestion (your use of the word poor fails to recognise that I have not advertised this as a solution to this suggestion at all, just correcting the mistake that this webpage is for mapmakers - it is not, it is for players - I should know the reason why it exists, right, there is no other catalogue of map properties that is easily accessible, new players can't easily find one way borders in advance of playing maps - I agree it should be easier to find, I have argued this before to no avail.

nope, its not for players. Players want the map sorted by size, complexity, geography, fantasy, etc. This tool sorts map by map author, date of launch , and specific gameplay features, which a majority of players would have no clue of. When is the last time you heard a player ask "How can I find a map to play that has naming challenges and dead space?". never, though it's a very useful tool from a map makers point of view. Trust me, I am a mapmaker and a player, and that tool is pretty useless for the player side of me. throw in some other categories like size, complexity, and other categories that have often been suggested you have a tool for players too.
Captain mibi

Postby chipv on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:02 am

Ok, well, fair enough, then it has failed in its intention in that case and probably doesn't need any more work from me on future maps - I was hoping this would help players get a better view of each map but if you're saying this is not the case, I have to take that on board - I won't be wasting any more effort on it to keep updating with new maps, I've missed the target audience.
Captain chipv

Postby Riazor on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 pm

chipv wrote:Ok, well, fair enough, then it has failed in its intention in that case and probably doesn't need any more work from me on future maps - I was hoping this would help players get a better view of each map but if you're saying this is not the case, I have to take that on board - I won't be wasting any more effort on it to keep updating with new maps, I've missed the target audience.

In its current state, it may not be that appealing to players, even though its a great tool, but as mibi said:
mibi wrote:Players want the map sorted by size, complexity, geography, fantasy, etc.

If this could be included some way or another (thinking tags here)it could be more valuable. Of course those tags will have to be chosen by you, or us as a community, though, because its unlikely there will be an official tag on each map anytime soon
Last edited by Riazor on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Riazor

Postby Echospree on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:45 pm

It'd only be useful if we can choose how we want to sort.

What if we wanted to search alphabetically, or by size, or by rule complexity? Each option would have to be considered for this to be particularly helpful.
Major Echospree

Postby mattosaurus on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 am

So to sum up, as I did in my first post on this subject, we would all like to see:
1. A link or the tool itself placed in the "Start a Game" Section.
2. Maps being able to be sorted by:
. number of territories
. Complexity of rules, IE is it straight continents, does it have one way attacks, special bonus territories, etc.
. Where or what the map is based on, etc.

I would be happy to compile a database with this information, if someone would be willing to turn it into a tool of some sort.

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:03 am

Would this be covered under the database that tnb80 has set up?
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 am

chapcrap wrote:Would this be covered under the database that tnb80 has set up?

Not really. His database lists the stats for the maps, but it's not actually sortable. If you wanted, for instance, to design a tournament using all maps that have 1-way portals, you couldn't conveniently click on "1-way" in the database and get a list of only those maps. You would have to go through each of the 200 descriptions and manually extract the information.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 am

Gus, this is being sorted as we speak. nobodies has this in hand but here are the links to a couple of topics related to this. Map Tags . Map Complexity This is all going towards the things being asked for here so anyone that has an opinion, should discuss it there.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am

koontz1973 wrote:Gus, this is being sorted as we speak. nobodies has this in hand but here are the links to a couple of topics related to this. Map Tags . Map Complexity This is all going towards the things being asked for here so anyone that has an opinion, should discuss it there.

Then I'm going to send this thread over to you. MOVED to Foundry.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Foundry Discussions