Map Idea: Ach, zombies... run, Hans, run! Zombies have flooded into the streets of downtown from a nearby cemetery. They are feeding upon the living, destroying private property and resisting arrest.
There's a National Guard outpost with a helipad nearby, and you intend to fight your way to it. Luckily, you've managed to find some like-minded people who are willing to make an escape attempt or die trying. Unluckily, they want you to lead them. The streets are filled with fog and shadow; you'll have to gather some major weapons and maybe a big honking truck if you're going to get all of your fellow lemmings to safety.
Current Maps (updated 10/5/11)
Big Map (840 x 800)
A blank army circle indicates open, random deployment.
Any other value is set for the start of the game. Colored values are starting positions; white values are neutral or killer neutral- see the legend for details.
Small Map (Not Updated... Yet)
Used as an 888 test to see if CC numbers would fit in the space provided.
A red number of '888' indicates open, random deployment or player starting position.
A white number indicates a starting neutral or killer neutral.
1) Does the Losing Condition seem balanced or is it too restrictive/risky?
2) Are all of the region connections obvious?
3) Does the gameplay come across clearly? Is this map too cluttered or is it OK?
4) Any suggestions for flavor- name ideas in particular are welcome here.
Graphics Concerns Are:
1) Do the buildings need any further major work? (The outside walls are getting some texture)
2) Is the legend too cramped?
3) Fonts- are there too many, and do they look OK?
4) Do the icons need any further work?
5) General thematic flavor- anything missing?
Feedback of any kind is always appreciated!
Map Goals: I'm attempting to simulate a sense of dread and isolation for the players, and set up the map itself as an enemy (in addition to the opposing players of course).
As for gameplay, I want the map to have "Zombie Gauntlets" (long stretches of low value killer neutrals) that players will need to run through in order to move from region to region. Also, I'm looking to have a gameplay objective that involves the center and 8 starting positions. I like the idea of items as well, and have incorporated them into the map gameplay.
This map is meant to have largely open deployment.
(1) None yet
(1) Change the Comic Sans font in the streets (altered... need opinions)
(2) Enhance the color of the street names (DONE)
(3) Give the streets more detail (under consideration)
(4) Give the buildings more detail (IN PROGRESS)
--Low-level killer neutrals all over the map.
--Gauntlets of killer neutrals that players must face in order to move troops between regions.
--An item in or near each building (see item descriptions below)- each of the 4 types of Item have a different power. Two of them give bonuses, the other two allow bombardment or movement.
-- A Victory and a Losing Condition
Recent Map Modifications (10/2/11)
There are too many changes and I am honestly too lazy to enumerate them all in detail; however I can give a broad summary...
(1) Changed the term "Faction" to "Gang" (for space purposes)
(2) "Gangs" (see above) are now a part of the bonus areas that they occupy (they were combined with the room that they were in to create a single region).
(3) Gangs no longer give an autodeploy; rather they just start with a lot of troops on the drop (10 at the moment), and a player must hold at least 1 gang- or 1 haven- as part of a losing condition.
(4) Made a number of minor alterations to attack routes in the streets and indoors, particularly in the Ghetto bonus area.
(5) Simplified the power of the Relic items from "+1 for every 4 regions indoors" to "+1 per 4 regions" (overall region count)
(6) Defined the term "Haven" to take the place of the phrase "non-zombie street region"
(7) Added a haven starting position to be coupled with each gang and made holding at least 1 haven- or 1 gang- as part of a losing condition.
(7) Slightly expanded the power of the Guns items to include all of the streets, not just havens
(8) Saturated the color of the Ghetto bonus area to make it more distinguisable from the Mob HQ and Fort Alamo bonus areas
(9) Enhanced the intensity of the blue color for the havens.
(10) Separated the Items that were indoors into their own room, and colored them to indiicate that they are not a part of a bonus area.
(1) Changed and enhanced the faux 3D perspective on all of the buildings and Fort Alamo
(2) Darkened the street background (the map is cluttered enough without distracting brightness)
(3) Moved various zombie regions in the streets for clarity
(4) Altered the zombie icon to 3 zombie figures
(5) Used a single font for the indoors and a separate single font for the streets
(6) Homogenized the legend fonts (used 2 not counting the title)
(7) Added cartoon/comic style zombie scenes to the title and legend background
(8) Re-organized the legend instructions
(9) Changed the title font and gave it a light green backdrop
(10) Altered the Comic Sans font in the streets to look more 'tatty'
Current map modifications in progress- To Do list in order of priority:
(1) Add texture to the outside walls of the buildings
(2) Add asphalt/cracks/dirty texture to some parts of the background.
(3) Add texture (yellow stripe, etc.) to the streets (if necessary). Not keen on doing this as the fog is meant to come across as pretty thick, but if the streets are too bland I'll give it a try.
(3) Add 'battle damage' to the buildings (if necessary). Also not eager to try this out as the map already has plenty of distracting elements.
Name of map: Zombie Invasion!
Mapmakers: MarshalNey, based off of a proposal by Top Dog, and ender for XML
Map Size (large version): 840 x 800 pixels
Map Size (small version): 630 x 600 pixels
Number of regions: 110 total, 70 deployable
- Bonus Areas
- Total regions: 88 (includes any region that can provide a bonus)
Indoor bonus regions: 70
Street bonus regions: 18
Deployable: 70 (includes 8 starting factions)
- Indoors: 57
- Neutral Indoors:13
Neutral Street: 5
- Zombie Areas (killer neutral)
- Total regions: 22
Killer Neutral-1s: 18
Killer Neutral-2s: 4
2-player or 3-player games: 23
4-player games (also doubles): 17
5-player games: 14
6-player games (also triples): 11
7-player games: 10
8-player games (also quads): 8
Number of bonus areas: 9 total
Bonus area descriptions:
Notes on the Victory Objective
- The Victory Objective (regions needed to be held to win the game) consists of holding:
- Any 1 Item (there are 8 Items on the map, all starting at neutral 5 or 6) and
the Fort Alamo bonus area (6 regions, 3 are split as starting positions).
Fort Alamo (located in the center):
Regions: 6 bonus area
Killer Neutrals: none
Special: 3 regions are split between 3 players as starting positions
Hospital (located in the middle of the righthand side):
Regions: 6 bonus area + 1 Zombie
Starting Position: Mad Doctors (Gang)
Item Name/Type: Meat Wagon/Wheels (located in the streets)
Killer Neutrals: none
Bank (located at top of the lefthand side):
Regions: 5 bonus area + 1 Zombie
Starting Position: Machiavellians (Gang)
Item Name/Type:Armored Car/Wheels (located in the streets)
Killer Neutrals: 1 zombie region separates 2 regions from 4 others.
Academy (located at the bottom of the righthand side):
Regions: 6 bonus area + 1 Item (Tome)
Starting Position: Tackticians (Gang)
Neutrals: Tome starts at 6
Killer Neutrals: none
Mafia HQ (located at the bottom of the lefthand side):
Regions: 7 bonus area + 1 Item (Arms Locker) + 1 Zombie Region
Starting Position: Death Dealers(Gang)
Item Name/Type: Arms Locker/Arsenal
Neutrals: Arsenal starts at 6
Killer Neutrals: 1 zombie region separates 1 region, 2 regions and 4 regions from each other
Cop HQ (located at the top of the righthand side):
Regions: 9 bonus area + 1 Item (Small Arms)
Starting Position: The Aarchons(Gang)
Item Name/Type: Small Arms/Arsenal
Neutrals: Small Arms starts at 6
Killer Neutrals: none
Church(located in the middle of the lefthand side):
Regions: 8 bonus area + 1 Item (Relic)
Starting Position: The Crusaders(Gang)
Item Name/Type: Relic/Ward
Neutrals: Relic starts at 6
Killer Neutrals: none
Mall (located in the middle of the top side):
Regions: 7 bonus area + 1 Zombie Region
Starting Position: People's Mob(Gang)
Item Name/Type: Gas Pump/Fuel (located in the streets)
Killer Neutrals: 1 zombie region separates 1 region, 2 regions and 6 regions from each other.
Ghetto (located in the middle of the bottom side):
Regions: 7 bonus area + 1 Item (Gas Cans) + 1 Zombie Region
Starting Position: The Survivalists(Gang)
Item Name/Type: Gas Cans/Fuel
Neutrals: Gas Cans starts at 6
Killer Neutrals: 1 zombie region separates 1 region, 1 region, 1 region and 5 regions from each other.
Items exist that give powerful abilities or bonuses. Any Item is 1/8 of the victory objective (and no more). There is one Item located in or near each building except the helipad. Items located in buildings are only adjacent to a region in the same room. They are:
There are 2 Wheels in the game- one outside of the Bank and outside of the Hospital. They provide a one-way attack against any non-zombie zones located outside of a building (including other items).
There are 2 Arsenals in the game- one in the Police HQ, the other in the Mafia HQ. They can bombard any zone outside of a bulding.
There are 2 Fuels in the game- one outside of the Mall and the other in the Ghetto. They give +1 reinforcements for every non-zombie zone owned outside of a building.
There are 2 Wards in the game- one in the Church and one in the Academy. They give +1 reinforcements for every 4 territories held inside of a building.
Factions are starting points for each player. They give a +2 autodeploy each turn and are only adjacent to a region in the same room. Any faction counts as 1/8 of the victory objective (and no more). The Factions are:
Mad Doctors, located in the Hospital and only adjacent to the Asylum.
The Aarchons, located in the Police HQ and only adjacent to the Desk Jobs.
People's Mob, located in the Mall and only adjacent to the Movie Theater.
The Machiavellians, located in the Bank and only adjacent to the Manager.
The Crusaders, located in the Church and only adjacent to the Sanctuary.
Death Dealers, located in the Mafia HQ and only adjacent to the Diner.
The Survivalists, located in the Ghetto and only adjacent to Shotgun Sheila.
The Tacticians, located in the Academy and only adjacent to the Lecture Hall.
Zombie Regions are scattered throughout the map, mostly in the streets outside of the buildings. They revert to neutral at the end of a round.
One of the 'core' gameplay features of this map is the Zombie Gauntlet. A Zombie Gauntlet is a string of killer neutral territories that a player must rush through all in one round in order to get any troops to the other end.
Zombie Gauntlets exist in the pathways between buildings and the Helipad in the center. So, once a player has been kicked out of a building, the only way to get back in is to run through a Zombie Gauntlet (or take hold of a Wheels territory, see the Items section above).
All normal zombie regions revert to 1 neutral troop at the end of a round. Currently, there are 4 "Champion" zombie regions at the 4 street intersections that revert to 2 neutral troops instead of 1.