Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Aztec Gods

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Aztec Gods

Postby fumandomuerte on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:13 am

I've been working on this idea for a few weeks but I first like to present you the gameplay I've formulated.

A few random aztec gods -just to fit the number of 8 starting positions- will be selected at will and also a main deity.
http://www.azteccalendar.com/god/
The main deity will have the power to dominate the rest of the gods (one way attack), while minor gods will grant you troops if you do enough sacrifices. You need to collect maiz and do sacrifices to obtain more power from your god.

Here's the gameplay scheme:

An early draft of how divisions will look like:

And finally, the graphic theme goal:

The gameplay idea is to:
1) collect maiz (corn) to earn the basic bonus. Each god will have 5.
2) Upgrade your bonus making "sacrifices". Each sacrifice will grant you a +5 bonus (holding all the maiz).
3) With all the sacrifices done for certain god you can now start stacking and prepare to attack.
4) You have 2 options to assault other gods: via serpents-warriors for adjacent gods or via the major deity (the one on the middle) if you want to assault non-adjacent gods.

I hope the shceme is clear enough and I wish you take some time to provide feedback about the gameplay and the theme.
P.S. I can use some help with graphics.
Captain fumandomuerte

Re: Aztec Gods

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:29 am

A few random aztec gods -just to fit the number of 8 starting positions- will be selected at will and also a main deity.

You do know you can have more starting positions, right? You can have as many as you like, they'll just be evenly divided to players.

I like the idea though. There's lots that could be done graphically with this map.

The killer neutral with 20 armies is a bit high though... Chances are it will remain unused in most games.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:38 am

This looks like a really neat idea. The kind I wish I'd thought of.

natty_dread wrote:The killer neutral with 20 armies is a bit high though... Chances are it will remain unused in most games.

+1 per Maize per Sacrifice can mean very high numbers, very quick. If you own a quarter of each, you'll get 90 troops per turn. If you own half, it's 340. If you happen to own all of them -- which you shouldn't ever because you should have won by then -- you get 1320 troops every turn, just from those bonuses.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:26 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:This looks like a really neat idea. The kind I wish I'd thought of.

natty_dread wrote:The killer neutral with 20 armies is a bit high though... Chances are it will remain unused in most games.

+1 per Maize per Sacrifice can mean very high numbers, very quick. If you own a quarter of each, you'll get 90 troops per turn. If you own half, it's 340. If you happen to own all of them -- which you shouldn't ever because you should have won by then -- you get 1320 troops every turn, just from those bonuses.

Ah. Didn't think about that.

In that case you should make sure that even the small version can fit 3-digit army numbers...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby fumandomuerte on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:This looks like a really neat idea. The kind I wish I'd thought of.

Err the max. Possible bonus you can have per god region is +25. Sacrifices work as the hole in the [url]Supermax: Prision Riot![/url] map. Let me rephrase the instructions: "THE HOLE: -1 per cell, +0 per cell with guard 602, +1 per cell with the Warden".
Maizes and sacrifices are specific for a certain god, that means that 1 sacrifice from god #1 only work with maizes within god #1's region.
For example: You own Tlaloc the Rain God, 5 maizes & 0 sacrifices within his domain (1/8 of the map); that will grant a +5 for holding 5 maizes (+1 each). Next turn you take one sacrifice so your bonus raise from +5 to +10 (+2 per maiz). You continue the taking over sacrifices to earn the max. Possible bonus for your god (+25 or +5 per maiz). After that you build a nice stack and you decide to attack Xipe Topec god of rebirth via the serpent-warrior-serpent between both (since he is your adjacent foe). For certain reason (terrible dices) you took 2 maizes, 1 sacrifice but not the god within Xipe's domain. If you can keep these recently taken terits. You will be receiving the next amount of bonus:

Evil DIMwit got bonus of 2 troops added to Tlaloc's throne
Evil DIMwit got bonus of -5 added to Tlaloc's Serpent
Evil DIMwit got bonus of -5 added to Xipe Topec's Serpent
Evil DIMwit received 25 troops for holding all Tlaloc's Maizes & 4 Tlaloc's Sacrifices
Evil DIMwit received 2 troops for holding 2 Xipe Topec's Maizes (no effect of the sacrifice you took since you don't own the god)

I wich I was clear. I could add this table to the board:
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby Rakio on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Very nice idea and theme.

I hope you are a patient person, since I assume this map will take a long time to develop. Both graphically and game play.

I dont think you need or will have the space for a bonus table. Making it clear enough in text would be enough.

Best of luck!
Discover & Settle - a new land.
A map not in the making currently. Please have a look and comment anyway? :)
Cadet Rakio

Postby fumandomuerte on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Mmm it seems that the lack of feedback strikes again...
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Don't let it get you down.... I think its the Melting pot in general (except for Clandamonium). Personally, I need to see a all out draft before I can really comment on anything. The idea sounds decent, definitely go for it, but a draft would help considerably.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:48 pm

fumandomuerte wrote:Mmm it seems that the lack of feedback strikes again...

It may be because of the idea, and not necessarily "the Foundry". The more complex the idea (or at least, if an idea immediately appears complex), you may get less feedback than say a more straight forward (or immediately straight forward) map design.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Anyway, I think this is a cool idea and I'd like to see it go further. So, yeah.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Jace22 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:37 pm

it does seem like a cool idea. Go for it and see what happens
Sergeant 1st Class Jace22

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:37 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
fumandomuerte wrote:Mmm it seems that the lack of feedback strikes again...

It may be because of the idea, and not necessarily "the Foundry". The more complex the idea (or at least, if an idea immediately appears complex), you may get less feedback than say a more straight forward (or immediately straight forward) map design.

--Andy

Yeah, I think this might be the case. I am a little unsure of how this map will work with basically every territory either granting bonuses, being a huge neutral, or a killer neutral. Also, it seems to have conquest style game play, where you the gods are coded starting positions? Then you bombard to serpent, and through serpent into objective? Or you run around the outside building your bonus?

I think I am still just trying to get my head around how it actually will work game play wise.

The only other thing I would stress is finding a balance between objective and domination. I find that most maps with coded neutrals, or objectives with coded neutrals, almost always seem to end in domination rather than objective taking.

Maybe if you could post up some more info about game play, you would see some support. The bonus chart is very helpful, even if it won't be on the final map, when I first read the comment where you could easily get a 90 bonus, I was put off a bit.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby Rakio on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Make a draft, with some simple graphics but the importance of having clear rules on the image already.
You rules would need to be simple and clear enough to fit on the image. So on could always start with that.
Cadet Rakio

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Design Brief wrote:Map Name: Aztec Gods
Your aims/design style: Aztec art style and the well known stone calendar.
Uniqueness: Starting positions, upgradable bonuses, bombarding territories, 2 assaulting options, 8 players.
Relevant Experience: Worked on some map ideas before. All of them abandoned due to lack of time, experience, support & patience. You can see my older approaches to become a map maker following the links in my signature.

Your first post here is much more informative than the submitted design brief, but I can let that slide ;-)

Symmetrical maps are often not well-received by the foundry, and I have often stated that a symmetrical map needs some sort of killer-concept to make it happen. In this instance, I think the combination of concept and theme could work.

I have some concerns about how games are likely to pan out, as it almost seems inevitable that games will turn into dice-dependent build games. It might be worth considering a slight change to encourage early squabbling for resources (ie the god connections could be one-way to the Maiz, with a single connection to a neighbouring Maiz area).

Despite my gameplay concerns, I am confident that you have a clear vision for what you hope to achieve, and believe that if the gameplay can be worked out to minimise the dice-factor, then this could be an interesting addition to the map collection.

[moved] to the Gameplay Workshop
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:09 pm

This map does not look like one that will work for CC. Being totally serious I cannot see this one getting much support, but good luck.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Rakio on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:20 pm

I hope this move/promotion will encourage you more.

Now lets focus on the gameplay!
Cadet Rakio

Postby Mad-elph on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:00 am

I like the map. I really enjoyed playing Prison riot and think this can deliver a similar feel, but not as restrictive. Good luck and keep at it. You have a winner here that just needs a couple hours of heavy polish and elbow grease.

Good one! =D>
Lieutenant Mad-elph

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Are there starting locations?
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Bruceswar on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:50 am

What is the status on this map?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby iancanton on Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:23 pm

it appears that development of this map has stalled. if the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the foundry moderators will be able to put the thread back into the foundry system, after an update has been made.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Recycling Box