[Abandoned] - A New Asia Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: A New Asia Map

Postby jasnostj on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Pakistan is geographically, historically and linguistically part of the Indian subcontinent, not Central Asia.
Private jasnostj

Postby jasnostj on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Why an independent Tibet (and big too!)? Trying to make a political statement?
Private jasnostj

Postby jasnostj on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Speaking of which... Palestine or Israel? Controversy please!

Just call it Israel & Palestine.
Private jasnostj

Postby darth emperor on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Maybe as it seems the japan part very small,you should add it to china and call it far east bonus.

Or you can do same as World 2.1 give a bonus for china give a bonus for japan, and if someone has china japan and korea give him more(though i dont like this idea much)

Indeed pakistan should be in the indian bonus not with central asia

Maybe for tibet could be +1 if you get it and already have china bonus,that would reflect his "indepence" and at the same time his dependence to china

For russia maybe you could split in 2 or 3...(in the last map i just see 5 borders...) altough all together is not a bad idea
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Medals: 78
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

I'd quite like to pick this up again....

Any further thoughts?

show
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 pm

I wouldn't complain. It's a lovely map, and a fair one. A perfect Asian parallel to Europa, where all the countries relate to territories. It could use some Impassable though, and Russia could stand to be more than 5 territories.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:59 am

I think Russia works fine as one territory. It only borders six others, and it's hilarious.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Raskholnikov on Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

A few comments:

1. Pakistan really should be included in South Asia, with India. It was part of the Raj and until 1973 it included Bangladesh.

2. China: If Tibet is included, so should be the Uighur Autonomous Region, which has also been in the news recently; as well as Hong Kong. For these regions, no claims are made about their independence - simply about their unique status within China.

3. Middle East: same idea with Palestine (West Bank) in Israel. You will probably need an insert for that region, anyway.

4. Japan: should be part of the Pacific Rim, with the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, etc.

6. The Russia Issue. Russia has 21 constituent republics (see map below).

Click image to enlarge.

If you regroup the smaller ones together, you could have an entirely reasonable 7 -territory Russia: Russia, Caucasian Republics, Volga Republics, Karelia, Komi, Sakha, Asian Republics.

Considering that both Russia and China are not nation-states but empires, it is only fair to show some of the key sub-units of each. India, whilst also not a nation-state, is a democratic federation, so an argument can be made to keep it as one unit.

Anyway, I think these changes would make the map more interesting to play withoud deviating from the principle of showing all Asian States.
Sergeant Raskholnikov

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Also: Egypt's Sinai Peninsula in Asia, just as part of Turkey is in Europe.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Map Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Raskholnikov on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:13 pm

True, but I never heard of Egypt being referred as an "Asian" country. Besides the proportions are reversed wrt Turkey. Most of Turkey is in Asia, most of Egypt in Africa.
Sergeant Raskholnikov

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 pm

I mean, Egypt might be included in the Asia map because Turkey is included in the Europa map. But then, so are some countries that are entirely in Asia.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 pm

I agree with Rask on most everything except that Russia ought to be one country on this map.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I don't like disproportionate territories on a map. It just seems weird to me that you can take over and hold a huge amount of land with just one army.

So what if current country borders say that this land area is one country. "Borders" are an abstract thing anyway.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather see Russia divided in several territories on this map. But that's just me..
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Seconded, Russia should be divided, most most other countries should be left whole. Maybe (just maybe) West China should be it's own territory, you know the Xinjiang province since it's an autonomous region, that's only been a part of China for a little over 50 years.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (4)
General Contribution (3)

Postby Raskholnikov on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:20 pm

if you look at the map, Russia will still look like one country, because it will be the only country in its group. The 7 subdivisions would be the really existing republics - no borders are invented. So this is the equivalent to having China divided into China proper, Tibet, Uighur, Taiwan and Hong Kong. As long as the country borders are preserved and no borders are invented because real sub-divisions are used, I think even the biggest sitcklers for realism (like me) will be happy.

Incidentally, exactly for this reason I would take the Koreas out of China and include them, with Japan, in the Pacific Rim countries, This way you will have the two empires on their own, with their respective internal subdivisions. So all would be totally consistent, and the map would be more playable.

Russia as one territory makes no sense either strategically, in terms of its real weight in Asia, nor in terms of gameplay. As it is, Russia represents 40 per cent of the map. To have that as one territory really doesnt work... I'n not saying it's not possible, but it doesn't make sense.
Sergeant Raskholnikov

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box