Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Oasis Sahara

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Oasis Sahara

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:34 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to present you a map I made.
You can see it underneath
Version 1.9: Removed desert, changed anchors
Click image to enlarge.

Version 1.8: Optimized natural borders so they're more clear.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8199 ... 8kopie.jpg
Version 1.7: Optimized anchors and changed Libya's bonus.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6601 ... 7kopie.jpg
Version 1.6: Tweaked some natural borders
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2453/saharamap16.jpg
Version 1.5: Added natural borders.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/664/saharamap15.jpg
Version 1.4: Changed Bonusses. Discussion on these starting at page 3
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/8831/saharamap14.jpg

Version 1.3: Removed abbreviations were possible, changed mountains and optimized bridges. Any comments on these?
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/6996/saharamap13.jpg

Version 1.2: Resized, got rid of army circles, used abbreviations, diluted border: http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/3342 ... esized.jpg
Version 1.1: Changed colours to fit more themewise: http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/3215 ... mies11.jpg
Version 1: http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9441 ... armies.jpg

Map statistics:
-52 territories
-13 continents
Special features: +1 autodeploy on Oasis, ports attack each other.
Ports and Oasis + Tagant and Zinder start as neutrals.

This is the first map i made, and I would like to receive some feedback on it. I have put a lot of work in this so be constructive please. I would like to optimize it so it could go in bèta later on.
I didn't make a large map yet, but I'll do that if this is going to something.

Greetings, ;)
Nilcius
Last edited by nilcius on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 am, edited 18 times in total.
Sergeant nilcius

Re: Oasis Sahara

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:53 am

Oh, I like this one. Simple but an underrepresented area.

You'll want to put some starting neutrals around -- one on each oasis and then at least 3 more to bring it down to a balanced starting territory number. I recommend one in Morocco, one in Mauritania, and one in Niger so that players have no chance of starting out with those small bonuses. Also, pretty much every bonus you have is overvalued but we can hammer that out in Gameplay. Still, this is a terrific start.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:00 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:Oh, I like this one. Simple but an underrepresented area.
You'll want to put some starting neutrals around -- one on each oasis and then at least 3 more to bring it down to a balanced starting territory number. I recommend one in Morocco, one in Mauritania, and one in Niger so that players have no chance of starting out with those small bonuses. Also, pretty much every bonus you have is overvalued but we can hammer that out in Gameplay.

Thanks for the positive comment :)
And yes that's a good idea, I already coded that the Oasis start as neutrals but I'll add those other territories.
I had some doubts too about the bonusses ^^ I used an Excel sheet to calculate them, but I think because there are quite a lot borders they became overvalued.
Greetings,
Nilcius
Sergeant nilcius

Postby GSP JR on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 am

I also like this one. I am fond of the map design as well, maybe a bit of clean up (the bridges, anchors, and mountains need work), but I like how the borders are not all uniform thickness and have a bit of a rough feel. The colors seem ok, but I think the oasis/desert theme would do well with more browns/ tans, natural colors.

I agree that the bonuses seem high, and I think it would make gameplay more interesting with not only each oasis, but also the docks start neutral.

Interesting concept, I can't wait to see how it develops.
Corporal 1st Class GSP JR

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38 am

Submit a design brief.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=105502
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:42 am

GSP JR wrote:I also like this one. I am fond of the map design as well, maybe a bit of clean up (the bridges, anchors, and mountains need work), but I like how the borders are not all uniform thickness and have a bit of a rough feel. The colors seem ok, but I think the oasis/desert theme would do well with more browns/ tans, natural colors.

I agree that the bonuses seem high, and I think it would make gameplay more interesting with not only each oasis, but also the docks start neutral.

Interesting concept, I can't wait to see how it develops.

Thanks for your feedback ;)
As for the colours, I have now about 5 different types of brown/orange, with more of these, won't it be too hard to distinguish them? For now I could change the purple ones (horn of Africa, Mali) into maybe more yellowish territories.
I will look at the bridges, anchors and mountains, although these things aren't easy :P
Greetings,
Nilcius
Sergeant nilcius

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

natty_dread wrote:Submit a design brief.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=105502

Done ;)
Sergeant nilcius

Postby theBastard on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 am

the map looks good. when you have here Oasis, did you think about any desert territories (maybe jungle also) as killer neutrals or decay territories?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby Kowalskii on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:55 am

Hi!
I like the map, it's very original. But you must make the bridges and hills a bit better. But on the whole a good job !
Sergeant 1st Class Kowalskii

Postby Rih0 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Some things to help on your mapmaking: (This is just some advices, you don´t really need to make them, but in my opinion, you should)

You can take those army circles out.

Instead of those arrows connecting territories to names like abuja, tunis, tozeur and tataounie, try abreviating their names as Eastern Front(E.F.)

Im worried about the border. The way it is, I think it may be hard to make two versions(big and small) You can reduce the border size a little, or even take it out.
Private Rih0

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Kowalskii wrote:Hi!
I like the map, it's very original. But you must make the bridges and hills a bit better. But on the whole a good job !

Rih0 wrote:Some things to help on your mapmaking: (This is just some advices, you don´t really need to make them, but in my opinion, you should)

You can take those army circles out.

Instead of those arrows connecting territories to names like abuja, tunis, tozeur and tataounie, try abreviating their names as Eastern Front(E.F.)

Im worried about the border. The way it is, I think it may be hard to make two versions(big and small) You can reduce the border size a little, or even take it out.

Thanks for your comments!
I will keep those advices in mind for the next update. Without army circles it's way easier to fill in the coördinates in the XML too :P
As for the border, I would like to keep it if you don't mind. I think it fits very well with the African theme. But I will reduce it's size certainly.

Greetings,
Nilcius
Sergeant nilcius

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 pm

theBastard wrote:the map looks good. when you have here Oasis, did you think about any desert territories (maybe jungle also) as killer neutrals or decay territories?

That is an interesting thought, but is it a plus gameplay-wise? I mean, if I put some killer neutrals, there should be some reason to conquer it, otherwise it's pretty useless. I might be missing something here, but, let me know how you see this :P
Sergeant nilcius

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Your map is too wide btw. It is currently 915px × 476px when the maximum size for the large map is 840x800.

Postby The Bison King on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:14 pm

This looks great. We were talking earlier about how there need to be more maps of Africa, and this is just what the doctor ordered.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:23 pm

natty_dread wrote:Your map is too wide btw. It is currently 915px × 476px when the maximum size for the large map is 840x800.

Resized it, should be 840px × 425px now :)
Sergeant nilcius

Re: Oasis Sahara, V1.2

Postby natty dread on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Actually, using abbreviations is not a good solution. It makes the map much harder to read - players need to check back and forth between the map and the list of abbreviations. Now you have way too many abbreviations - even in places where they are in no way necessary. Whoever put you up to this??

Less abbreviations = better. It doesn't matter if some territory names overlap borders, as long as you can still see which territory borders which clearly.

Abbreviations should be only used as a last resort, ie. when there's no way to put up the whole territory name without sacrificing legibility.

Postby nilcius on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Rih0 wrote:Instead of those arrows connecting territories to names like abuja, tunis, tozeur and tataounie, try abreviating their names as Eastern Front(E.F.)

natty_dread wrote:Actually, using abbreviations is not a good solution. It makes the map much harder to read - players need to check back and forth between the map and the list of abbreviations. Now you have way too many abbreviations - even in places where they are in no way necessary. Whoever put you up to this??

Less abbreviations = better. It doesn't matter if some territory names overlap borders, as long as you can still see which territory borders which clearly.

Abbreviations should be only used as a last resort, ie. when there's no way to put up the whole territory name without sacrificing legibility.

Okay I will change it back to full names when possible, I think there's enough place to write every name in full. I had some doubts about the list of abbreviations too - anyway it's sorted out now :)
Sergeant nilcius

Postby theBastard on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:46 pm

nilcius wrote:That is an interesting thought, but is it a plus gameplay-wise? I mean, if I put some killer neutrals, there should be some reason to conquer it, otherwise it's pretty useless. I might be missing something here, but, let me know how you see this :P

well, if it is plus for GP must say any mods or skilled guys...
the right is that this change your map/idea. I only noticed that to have complex Sahara - Oasis (which save lifes), - desert (which take lifes).

but the map is good without them ;)
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby GSP JR on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:55 pm

theBastard wrote:
nilcius wrote:That is an interesting thought, but is it a plus gameplay-wise? I mean, if I put some killer neutrals, there should be some reason to conquer it, otherwise it's pretty useless. I might be missing something here, but, let me know how you see this :P

well, if it is plus for GP must say any mods or skilled guys...
the right is that this change your map/idea. I only noticed that to have complex Sahara - Oasis (which save lifes), - desert (which take lifes).

but the map is good without them ;)

I don't know that killer neutrals would really work here. Decaying territories makes sense, especially in those areas that are not oasises (what's the plural to oasis?) or touching water. It could make for interesting game play. It might also make the map nearly unplayable. I'd ask for more opinions before implementing this.

As far as abbreviations go, for those areas that are hard to fit the full name in, abbreviate them and use the abbreviation with the full name in the coding so it appears in the drop down menu. I don't think you need it as much as you've used it, but it certainly can help when there isn't much room.

On the left side, I think the text needs to be horizontal. Turning it 90° like that makes it hard to read at a glance (for freestyle games).

I think the colors look better now. And the smaller border is less intrusive. :)
Corporal 1st Class GSP JR

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:46 pm

Love the idea.. .We've got your brief and Tacktix and I will be in touch.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: Oasis Sahara, V1.3

Postby rockandrull on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:16 am

What are the anchors for?
Private rockandrull

Postby nilcius on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

rockandrull wrote:What are the anchors for?

It is described in the legend. Anchors with the same color can attack each other. So for example: Caïro can attack Somalia and vice versa ;)
Sergeant nilcius

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:38 am

In response to your Design Brief, we're stickying this map. When I get a chance to talk to Tacktix about it I'll let you know and we'll see about advancing this map.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby nilcius on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:43 am

Industrial Helix wrote:In response to your Design Brief, we're stickying this map. When I get a chance to talk to Tacktix about it I'll let you know and we'll see about advancing this map.

That's great, thanks! :) I will be happy to continue optimizing it.
Sergeant nilcius

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 pm

This is a great idea and great start. I look forward to following this one!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Next

Return to Recycling Box