Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Pachisi!

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Parcheesi!

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Ok, well first off you've got to get gimp or paint.net or photoshop... preferably the latter. Because there's no way this map is going to make it though the graphics workshop without a program like that.

I'll see what I can do. If I can't get an acceptable artsy program, you think I could get someone else to help with the graphics?
TaCktiX wrote:Also, see if you can move the rules from being text in the first post to text on the map image itself.

Like Pachisi 1.0 (bottom of first page) or 1.1 (top of 2nd page)?

Also, I assume the ! is good? What does it mean? I'm a little new to the foundry process, other than giving my two cents to the maps I like. :oops:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:33 pm

I'll try to post another draft soon.
Last edited by Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby maasman on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 pm

It looks like the nests a,d,e,h are all at a significant advantage due to the one way attacks pointing away from home, giving them a quicker route to home. Unless I"m missing something this could be a large problem.
Colonel maasman

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:22 pm

maasman wrote:It looks like the nests a,d,e,h are all at a significant advantage due to the one way attacks pointing away from home, giving them a quicker route to home. Unless I"m missing something this could be a large problem.

I see what your saying and I'll see what I can do. Btw, I should have another draft up by the end of the week (hopefully within the next two days, but we'll see).
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby squishyg on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:11 pm

I like the idea of an Indian flair. perhaps also adding a more royal or expensive look to the map, such as jewels, would enhance it.

i know i used to play Parcheesi all the time, and i loved it, so i imagine i'll end up liking this too :-)
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby wisemanpsemc on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Oh the memories of the hrs spent playing this game as a kid, and now I get to play it with my kids.

I am assuming your idea is to have it play similar to the board game. Is this correct? If no one can attack the nests then are you making this an objective only map? If that is the case will the opponents be able to kill each other at Home?

I know you are going to be working on graphics a bit, but I think the region names are too bunched together.
Major wisemanpsemc

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:48 pm

wisemanpsemc wrote:I am assuming your idea is to have it play similar to the board game. Is this correct?

Yes :D I want to try and make it as accurate to the board game as I can, while still creating a unique and fun CC map.
wisemanpsemc wrote:If no one can attack the nests then are you making this an objective only map?

Yes. Just like the board game.
wisemanpsemc wrote:If that is the case will the opponents be able to kill each other at Home?

Yes. Otherwise the first person to take HOME wins, which wouldn't be entirely fair.
wisemanpsemc wrote:I know you are going to be working on graphics a bit, but I think the region names are too bunched together.

I'll see what I can do, but the territories/spaces are bunched together...

Thanks for your comments and interest :D
-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby barterer2002 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:30 am

OK a couple of things.
1. You need to update the map in the first page of your thread to be the current one. As this thread goes longer people won't always have the time to look through to find the current map.

2. In Parchisi a player has to go all the way around the board to get to their own area before they can head down to home. I don't know that there is a way to do that here but wanted to make sure you're either planning or not planning on that feature.

3. Can you attack within your next. For instance if I end up with Nest D yellow can I attack the Nest D green or will the deploy give me both of those?

4. There are some significant advantages to starting position here within the nests. I wonder how it would look if each side of the nest could exit at either save zone. For instance Nests C and D could enter the playing field at either ZC or ZD. That might give advantages to whomever plays second though.

5. Thinking through how this plays. Essentially the race here is to go from the entry point (such as ZD) up to the top of red (Z4) then down through the Vs with enough armies left to take and hold Home. So as I read it each V has a n1 to start, and home has a n3 so almost perfect dice would want 12-15 armies on z4 just to get to home. So you start out on Nest D holding yellow and green squares. Do each of them auto deploy 3? Or is it one for the entire nest? I'm assuming there are 2 positions within the next but maybe not. Lets assume 1 for this. So you drop 3 on Nest D, get an auto of 3 on turn 1 and have your standard 3 deployment which goes there so 9 armies to work with at the start. Takes ZD and stop. You should have 6-8 armies most turns on ZD. next turn it autos 3 on the nest and you deploy your 3 to zd. In adjacent games you don't attack, just build on Zd (or better yet in the nest area). In chained or unlimited you take d4 for the card and bring the auto from the nest up to the front giving you 9-15 armies on d4. Repeat for turn 3 which should have you with 12-18 armies on d5. At this point, in a cards game whoever get a 3 card flat rate mixed should win unless both players do. Adding 13 armies to the 12-18 sitting on d5 gets you enough to get into home and you opposition will need a set-probably mixed to get in to stop you. In no cards you'll have 15-21 with your added 3 on d5 so probably will move to z4 and be ready to attack down on turn 4. The key there is to have enough at the end to put up a defense on home and hold it. The game will essentially come down to who can deploy to v, w, x and y7 and break the other guy's home. You could interrupt things but moving, for instance from Z4 to Z8 and interupting the flow from the nest to the home area but you run the risk of not breaking the home and thus losing the game.

I wonder if you could make it more advantageous to go around the board and not just rush in. For instance you've got +4 bonuses listed for holding all the white spaces in an area. What if you made the 1 section a n10 which would require players to move around the board before jumping into the red zones. You could also make the red areas auto killing instead of just decay so that you don't have the 7s to attack home with, you have to hold enough on the Z1, 2, 3 or 4 areas to get all the way back through but that might just give the game to the last player so you wait and move around the board some more. Just trying to think of ways to get the players to interact with each other in the white squares rather than just racing for home
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 pm

barterer2002 wrote:OK a couple of things.
1. You need to update the map in the first page of your thread to be the current one. As this thread goes longer people won't always have the time to look through to find the current map.

Will do :)
barterer2002 wrote:2. In Parchisi a player has to go all the way around the board to get to their own area before they can head down to home. I don't know that there is a way to do that here but wanted to make sure you're either planning or not planning on that feature.

I thought about this while I was making the first draft and I do not believe there is a way to make that happen.
barterer2002 wrote:3. Can you attack within your next. For instance if I end up with Nest D yellow can I attack the Nest D green or will the deploy give me both of those?

The nest is the semicircle, not the diamonds. And no, nests cannot attack each other.
barterer2002 wrote:4. There are some significant advantages to starting position here within the nests. I wonder how it would look if each side of the nest could exit at either save zone. For instance Nests C and D could enter the playing field at either ZC or ZD. That might give advantages to whomever plays second though.

This is a great solution, actually. Assuming the first player chooses ZD (the shorter route to HOME), there's the risk of the person in the other nest taking that territory so he can get the shorter route. Player 2 can either choose the easy ZC (with there being only 1 neutral) or can go for ZD but pay a few more guys.
barterer2002 wrote:5. Thinking through how this plays. Essentially the race here is to go from the entry point (such as ZD) up to the top of red (Z4) then down through the Vs with enough armies left to take and hold Home. So as I read it each V has a n1 to start, and home has a n3 so almost perfect dice would want 12-15 armies on z4 just to get to home. So you start out on Nest D holding yellow and green squares. Do each of them auto deploy 3? Or is it one for the entire nest? I'm assuming there are 2 positions within the next but maybe not. Lets assume 1 for this. So you drop 3 on Nest D, get an auto of 3 on turn 1 and have your standard 3 deployment which goes there so 9 armies to work with at the start. Takes ZD and stop. You should have 6-8 armies most turns on ZD. next turn it autos 3 on the nest and you deploy your 3 to zd. In adjacent games you don't attack, just build on Zd (or better yet in the nest area). In chained or unlimited you take d4 for the card and bring the auto from the nest up to the front giving you 9-15 armies on d4. Repeat for turn 3 which should have you with 12-18 armies on d5. At this point, in a cards game whoever get a 3 card flat rate mixed should win unless both players do. Adding 13 armies to the 12-18 sitting on d5 gets you enough to get into home and you opposition will need a set-probably mixed to get in to stop you. In no cards you'll have 15-21 with your added 3 on d5 so probably will move to z4 and be ready to attack down on turn 4. The key there is to have enough at the end to put up a defense on home and hold it. The game will essentially come down to who can deploy to v, w, x and y7 and break the other guy's home. You could interrupt things but moving, for instance from Z4 to Z8 and interupting the flow from the nest to the home area but you run the risk of not breaking the home and thus losing the game.

I wonder if you could make it more advantageous to go around the board and not just rush in. For instance you've got +4 bonuses listed for holding all the white spaces in an area. What if you made the 1 section a n10 which would require players to move around the board before jumping into the red zones. You could also make the red areas auto killing instead of just decay so that you don't have the 7s to attack home with, you have to hold enough on the Z1, 2, 3 or 4 areas to get all the way back through but that might just give the game to the last player so you wait and move around the board some more. Just trying to think of ways to get the players to interact with each other in the white squares rather than just racing for home

Wow. Okay, so I boldly italicized the things I will address. 1. The nests I'm switching to an auto-deploy 5, as you will see on my next draft. 2. These ideas are good and I'll see if I can implement them in the next draft.

If I didn't answer all of your concerns, please let me know. As always, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Also, this might be a more natty_dread question but, what approximate sizes do I need the large and small versions to be?

Thanks,
Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm

As large as you need for all features to fit comfortably.

The maximum for large version is 840x800, and maximum for small is 630x600.

The small version should be 75% the size of the large version. A minimum of 9% size difference is required, but the 25% difference is recommended. (if you make both versions maximum size, the size difference will be 25%)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Ok thanks. What's that in inches? :oops:
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Ok thanks. What's that in inches? :oops:

That depends entirely on your settings. Pixels are not absolutely relative to inches/cm:s, but they are absolute to graphical units on the image.

In other words, use pixels when you work on your image. Get used to thinking in pixels. It pays off in the long run. You will only ever need inches/cm:s when you're printing something and you need to figure out dpi:s and stuff...

Don't know what gfx software you use, but you should be able to adjust the settings so that sizes are displayed in pixels.

Re: Pachisi! v1.22 *Updated 8/25/10*

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Cool. Thanks.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 pm

I could really use some feedback for the new version...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Well the layout looks better. I'll take a closer look later...

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Ok :)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:43 am

100!!!!! I had to post my one hundredth post here. Y'know, with this being my map and all...
Btw natty,
natty_dread wrote:Well the layout looks better. I'll take a closer look later...

when is "later"? Sorry, don't mean to rush you but I'm eager for your feedback.

:| :) :D SULLY
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:47 am

Are you still using powerpoint?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:12 am

'fraid so. Still working on getting photoshop.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:19 am

get gimp or paint.net, they are free.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:21 am

Okay. Do you have a link?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 am

Google "gimp download" or "paint.net download"

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:29 am

Downloading now :)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:35 pm

Anyways, natty (or anyone, really), thoughts on the current version (1.22)? Once I get some feedback, then I'll start figuring out how to transfer it to gimp.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box