Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Second Indochina War

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Second Indochina War (Ready for Graphics?)

Postby FarangDemon on Mon May 16, 2011 4:27 am

Right on grifftron. Updated OP links.

Note:

Linebacker should be 6 and Rolling Thunder should be 2.
Also, Champasak starts neutral 2.

If we have room to add some text describing the conflict, I can come up with something later.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby MarshalNey on Fri May 20, 2011 12:50 am

Ah yes, the bombing mission neutrals should be fixed. And Champasak. Sorry to have missed that.

Get those corrections in and a stamp will follow directly thereafter.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby grifftron on Fri May 20, 2011 10:03 pm

MarshalNey wrote:Ah yes, the bombing mission neutrals should be fixed. And Champasak. Sorry to have missed that.

Get those corrections in and a stamp will follow directly thereafter.

-- Marshal Ney

Done, now bring on the graphic critics :?

NOTE: FD will not be back to update the OP until mid June.

Click image to enlarge.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MarshalNey on Sat May 21, 2011 12:33 am

Stamped!

Congratulations Griff and Farang on your second map of Southeast Asia, this is a playable and yet faithful representation of a very long, twisty war =D>

Now make it pretty (er)!

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby FarangDemon on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:11 am

Thanks for your support, MarshalNey! And also, thanks to the community which has been helpful in providing feedback as well. Grifftron, IĀ“ve updated the OP with the latest big map link.

I think it would be easier for us if you guys could somehow make grifftron be the OP again, as then heĀ“d be able to instantaneously update the links in the OP as he works on the graphics. Otherwise there is a lag and heĀ“d have to wait for me to change it every time he makes an update. It is already a slow process without having to wait for me to update the links every time.

One thing to keep in mind. We need to figure out where the digits will go that represent the troops on each leader. There are two separate regions there - the leader itself and the leader's bonus.
Click image to enlarge.

"He came dancin across the water.... FarangDemon, FarangDemon.... mmmhh....what a killer..."
Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 pm

That's not something we carto assistants can do, not sure about MrBenn, probably not though. I believe all you'd have to do is put an e-ticket in and the admins could make that change for you.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:32 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:That's not something we carto assistants can do, not sure about MrBenn, probably not though. I believe all you'd have to do is put an e-ticket in and the admins could make that change for you.

I just stumbled across this. I've went ahead and changed the OP to grifftron. If it needs to be changed back or to someone else, Wall Me. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby FarangDemon on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks, Andy!
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby theBastard on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:46 am

looking very good, guys. I like graphics and also gameplay looks interesting.
congrat to stamp :)
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Postby grifftron on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:13 am

theBastard wrote:looking very good, guys. I like graphics and also gameplay looks interesting.

Thanks tB. I have been meaning to work on it some more in my free time but there hasn't been much input graphically on the map at all.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby theBastard on Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:31 am

grifftron wrote:
theBastard wrote:looking very good, guys. I like graphics and also gameplay looks interesting.

Thanks tB. I have been meaning to work on it some more in my free time but there hasn't been much input graphically on the map at all.

-griff

there were made much graphically when we look at this one: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/520 ... 9a8e_b.jpg ;) :)
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Re: The Second Indochina War {GP}

Postby grifftron on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 am

Wondering when someone will stop in and give some guidance graphic wise, color scheme or anything else that would be changed? ideas? I need something to work with here... I think this is a great GP idea that FD came up with and would love to work more on the graphics if I got some ideas going.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am

Sorry griff, been busy covering game play as well. I'll give this a closer look over later, but the one thing that I think needs to be done is a slight background texture to the playable area.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:24 am

grifftron wrote:Wondering when someone will stop in and give some guidance graphic wise, color scheme or anything else that would be changed? ideas? I need something to work with here... I think this is a great GP idea that FD came up with and would love to work more on the graphics if I got some ideas going.

-griff

The black frame you have around the map is too strong and makes the map look cramped... It competes for attention with other elements - I suggest trying something smoother and lighter, maybe a dark grey thing or something...

The coloured borders around the bonus areas look sloppy, which doesn't fit the crisp style of the map - they should be even in thickness.

I also suggest moving the bombing missions under the faction leaders - that way all the extra territories are in one place and not all around the map. Swap it with the text that is under the leaders currently.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: The Second Indochina War [21 May 2011]

Postby FarangDemon on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and for not forgetting about us.
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:39 pm

i think the map is an amalgam of styles that don't fit very well together. you have monochrome realistic photos, realistically hand - drawn images (bamboo), stylized images (electricity, airplanes), 3d-like brightly coloured forests, hand drawn flat mountains, 2 blue shades in a vast mass of grey tones.
taken one by one you actually have some well executed elements. but put together i don't think they fit. i don't "feel" this map.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby grifftron on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 am

DiM wrote:i think the map is an amalgam of styles that don't fit very well together. you have monochrome realistic photos, realistically hand - drawn images (bamboo), stylized images (electricity, airplanes), 3d-like brightly coloured forests, hand drawn flat mountains, 2 blue shades in a vast mass of grey tones.
taken one by one you actually have some well executed elements. but put together i don't think they fit. i don't "feel" this map.

Me either, that is why I am brainstorming, I know it looks like crap graphically at the moment, i am just waiting for something to inspire me, or someone to leave a good idea drop that will get this thing going again.Thoughts?

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 am

Big pink overalls that got a syrup stain on them, because someone was overzealous with the pancakes this morning... There's your inspiration. Let it inspire you to make this a masterpiece...

Jk. Perhaps do a modified version of Thailand? Experiment with textures and various techniques. Idk - knock yourself out!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby grifftron on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:12 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Big pink overalls that got a syrup stain on them, because someone was overzealous with the pancakes this morning... There's your inspiration. Let it inspire you to make this a masterpiece...

Jk. Perhaps do a modified version of Thailand? Experiment with textures and various techniques. Idk - knock yourself out!

-Sully

I was hoping to move away from the Thailand map style... i have seen many map makers stay with the same graphics map after map... i wouldn't want to be one of those map makers, i want to make a map that is different from anything i have done in the past.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Well, it's not a crime to refer to your previous creation:
Click image to enlarge.

Besides the faded background design, there isn't an good, coarse texture (which, I must say, works for this map, but perhaps including it in this map would work well). You could also go with a more muted, or color-specific color scheme. Just a couple thoughts ;)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm

grifftron wrote:I was hoping to move away from the Thailand map style... i have seen many map makers stay with the same graphics map after map... i wouldn't want to be one of those map makers, i want to make a map that is different from anything i have done in the past.

-griff

Thumbs up. I like it when I see cartographers pushing out of their aesthetic boundaries. Good luck.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby grifftron on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:13 pm

Well as DiM said, i do understand things do not fit together at the moment, at first I was thinking of a black & white type them, mix in some grays and what not, but i am not sure it would work or not... those pictures of the leaders must stay i think, and for the rest of the map to fit together they have to go along with those pictures IMO.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby FarangDemon on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Some ideas:

Click image to enlarge.

One idea, you could make it look like a military map that has been laid out on a table, i.e. putting creases in it like on the map above.

The photos of leaders could be arranged in a similar fashion, like you could add wear to some of the photos, make the corners turn up, place them slightly askew, as if the photos were placed atop the map by a human hand which is not perfect.

Maybe put contemporaneous weapons or equipment on the table as well (if they are small enough to fit).
Click image to enlarge.

Brigadier FarangDemon

Postby grifftron on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm

great FD, inspiring... only thing i was trying to go away from was putting it on a table, this has already been done by many CC map makers and how many maps on tables can we get? ... maybe pinned up on a door? ill have to think about it, but i like the first "red" themed map you posted, if i can get something going like that, it would be great.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box