Page 5 of 7

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:57 pm
by Victor Sullivan
declan.west wrote:ok sure, ill leave out the X's, but still would like to include the dinosaurs in somehow.
what is necessary now?

If you wanted to incorporate dinosaurs, you could turn an impassable or two into killer neutral "dinosaur habitations" or what have you. Just a thought.

Always nice to see a map back in action! :)

-Sully

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:39 pm
by firsal901
Nice map. Graphics are excellent and gameplay seems straightforward.
The "X" idea looks good as well. I'd like to see this soon in the Final Forge.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 pm
by declan.west
Test for large/small maps
large:
Image

small:
Image

Are they suitable as the two map sizes?

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 pm
by koontz1973
declan.west wrote:ok sure, ill leave out the X's, but still would like to include the dinosaurs in somehow.
what is necessary now?


As Sully said, a couple of killer neutrals as always a nice idea as long as the neutral value is small enough as to stop it becoming a barrier. Also, bung in a few degrading spots around the map to show off high concentrations of predators. You already have you dinos drawn so you could easily have a T-Rex symbol for killer and the flyer for degrades.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:30 pm
by The Bison King
I think it's pretty assumed that dino's would be everywhere.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:26 am
by Victor Sullivan
The Bison King wrote:I think it's pretty assumed that dino's would be everywhere.

Conquer Club needs more dinosaurs. And more cowbell.

It would be neat to at least entertain the idea of including dinosaurs as gameplay features.

-Sully

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 am
by declan.west
koontz1973 wrote:As Sully said, a couple of killer neutrals as always a nice idea as long as the neutral value is small enough as to stop it becoming a barrier. Also, bung in a few degrading spots around the map to show off high concentrations of predators. You already have you dinos drawn so you could easily have a T-Rex symbol for killer and the flyer for degrades.


They seem like some nice ideas, ill make an update that includes them.
Is the aim to make them a feature but not really effect gameplay? It might be annoying having degrading spots without some way of countering them, but would that be adding too much?

cowbell?

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:23 am
by AndyDufresne
declan.west wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:As Sully said, a couple of killer neutrals as always a nice idea as long as the neutral value is small enough as to stop it becoming a barrier. Also, bung in a few degrading spots around the map to show off high concentrations of predators. You already have you dinos drawn so you could easily have a T-Rex symbol for killer and the flyer for degrades.


They seem like some nice ideas, ill make an update that includes them.
Is the aim to make them a feature but not really effect gameplay? It might be annoying having degrading spots without some way of countering them, but would that be adding too much?

cowbell?

Tar pits. :D


--Andy

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:21 pm
by Victor Sullivan
The main idea, I think, is to add some gameplay spice to the map, without making it convoluted/confusing.

-Sully

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:43 pm
by declan.west
V9, what do you think?
to crowded?

large
Image

small
Image

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 pm
by Victor Sullivan
I'd ditch the tar pits, I don't think they add much to the gameplay. As for the dinosaurs, I think Scavenger should replace the mountain/rift impassable between Travi-Zimmotogoa-Village of Nok-Triage-Ginerbis, and I think Tyrant should replace the mountain range in the center of South America between Kaiwa-Malichift-Baniwa-Jordan-Iauanaua-Poyanawa. I think it would cause the dinosaurs to be used more often.

-Sully

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 pm
by declan.west
Victor Sullivan wrote:I'd ditch the tar pits, I don't think they add much to the gameplay. As for the dinosaurs, I think Scavenger should replace the mountain/rift impassable between Travi-Zimmotogoa-Village of Nok-Triage-Ginerbis, and I think Tyrant should replace the mountain range in the center of South America between Kaiwa-Malichift-Baniwa-Jordan-Iauanaua-Poyanawa. I think it would cause the dinosaurs to be used more often.

-Sully


Ah yeah, i see your point, atm the dinos are easily avoided.
Thank you

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 pm
by koontz1973
Unlike Sully, I would say to keep the tar pits but like Sully, place them more carefully. Right now, as soon as someone has a bonus, no troops will be on them anyway. If you place them on bonus borders (both sides) then they will get into the thinking of players more. Like the small dinos by the way.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:02 pm
by obm311
the dinosshould be able to be avoided if its reseting to neutral. i dont want to protect more regions then i have to because the dinos are only 2. replace the mountain rege in the middle of africa but not the crack and replace the the mountians in southamerica but not the mountians there that are touching blanco

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 pm
by The Bison King
declan.west wrote:V9, what do you think?
to crowded?

large
Image

small
Image



I like the tar pits, great idea! keep them! the T-Rex's I'm not so sure. Since they don't belong to any bonus, have no strategic worth, and are killer neutrals, no one is ever going to bother capturing those territories. The only way that would work is if they block some path to which there is no alternative or if they act as a risky short cut (see 13 colonies Indian territories). Or just cut them.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 pm
by The Bison King
Also why is Congo in the very south of Africa???

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 am
by koontz1973
There are two things to consider when placing the killer neutrals. Will anyone take them (right now no) and what benefit do they give to the map/player.

By placing one into Neige, a player has to go through them to conquer the bonus or go around 2 whole territs to get to the other side.
If you place another onto Bellany islands, you create some danger to that shortcut. By making them a 2 neutral, players will go for them more often but create enough of a blockade to lull players into a false sense of security.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:22 am
by declan.west
Is there a way of making killer neutrals part of a bonus? I don't see a way of adding them without adding a new territory

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:32 am
by declan.west
koontz1973 wrote:Unlike Sully, I would say to keep the tar pits but like Sully, place them more carefully. Right now, as soon as someone has a bonus, no troops will be on them anyway. If you place them on bonus borders (both sides) then they will get into the thinking of players more. Like the small dinos by the way.


i'm not sure if i understand, right now the only tar pit not on a border is Kaiwa.

Re: Gondwanaland

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:54 am
by declan.west
version 10!
ok taking things into account here are a few changes:
    congo and triage swapped so more accurate
    no more spots, cleaner
    T-rex's moved to areas in which they provide shortcuts and where they will be used more
    bridge between Deco and Zulu removed as of placement of scavenger t-rex
    hence south america changed to 5 bonus not 6
    tar pits removed and replaced with:
    original dinosaurs attack countries on both sides of a boarder near them, -1 troop per term. each marked uniquely

large
Image

small
Image

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 am
by The Bison King
Much better job with the T-Rex's especially Scavenger! Great job. Tyrant might be better in place of Maitiri cause it bridges 3 continents again.

The eggs though???? What? Why did you replace Tar pits with eggs???? I don't like that at all nor does it make much sense. Bring back the pits!

TBK

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:56 am
by koontz1973
Sorry, but what do eggs have to do with losing a troop. Will they give us salmonella? :sick: Bring back the pits. Also, lose the X's as they are the same as the eggs. Just add them to the tar pits/eggs.

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 pm
by declan.west
sorry i don't think i explained it well, originally there was text at each which said something along the lines of "the pterodactyl is very protective of her eggs and will attack anyone who gets close" and "don't get close to the water, or you might get eaten" but i removed it because it was hard to fit in.
I thought that it worked a lot better with the theme.
oh and there is the dinosaur at the bottom (blue arrows) if u hadn't noticed.
so is the placement fine? ie just change what it looks like?

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:22 pm
by Victor Sullivan
Don't overdo it on the decaying regions. First, I'd suggest going back to the tar pits for the sole reason that it's confusing to have more than one icon mean the same thing, especially if they're explained in different sections of the map. Secondly, your decaying regions should not be adjacent to one another. Thirdly, the placement of Scavenger is very nice, but Tyrant definitely needs to be moved to a better spot, as TBK has already mentioned.

-Sully

Re: Gondwanaland [29/9/11] V10 pg8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:58 pm
by declan.west
Victor Sullivan wrote:Don't overdo it on the decaying regions. First, I'd suggest going back to the tar pits for the sole reason that it's confusing to have more than one icon mean the same thing, especially if they're explained in different sections of the map. Secondly, your decaying regions should not be adjacent to one another. Thirdly, the placement of Scavenger is very nice, but Tyrant definitely needs to be moved to a better spot, as TBK has already mentioned.

-Sully


does anyone have a good example of decaying regions? If not il probably just remove them