Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Epic Epoch

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: A little something I doodled a while ago.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:23 pm

Well, I guess now that we have supersize maps I can go ahead and tack on another five or six references...
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:I'll give a hint: there's a clue in the names of the six different areas.

NSFEAO - do these rearrange to make the 7th map or something?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:08 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:I'll give a hint: there's a clue in the names of the six different areas.

In a manner of speaking, yes.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:38 am

Looking at it more closely, I think you'd have to reduce the Oasis bonus a bit so as to not skew the map so much towards that side.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 am

MrBenn wrote:Looking at it more closely, I think you'd have to reduce the Oasis bonus a bit so as to not skew the map so much towards that side.

Yeah, its gonna take some mind-bending work to compare the relative bonus values of different areas, and the connection routes between areas (possibly but not necessaarily) but once we get there this will be a big hit for the gameplay-minded.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

In a manner of speaking, yes.

FNOSA - First Nations of South America? Of course, the "E" is left out

That's all I can think of... So, what exactly are you working on now, ED? I know you mentioned something about maybe adding in some more maps with the larger sizes and all...

P.S. What's with the "icons"? If you look at the top-left of this post there's a blue one that I put.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:05 pm

North america
South america
aFrica
Europe
Asia
Oceania

classic?

classic shapes?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:53 pm

Points for Natty. If you'll notice, the six major zones connect to each other according to the scheme of classic. The six zones are divided into 42 subregions in total; the connections between the subregions mirror the individual territories of Classic. This was a fun map to arrange!

Victor Sullivan wrote:That's all I can think of... So, what exactly are you working on now, ED? I know you mentioned something about maybe adding in some more maps with the larger sizes and all...

Right now I'm not working on anything, because real life has me booked solid for a while, but if you have any ideas, feel free to post them and maybe I'll get bored and feel like doodling one of these days...
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:58 pm

Yay, I got points! :D

I don't think this map really needs any additions. Just because we have the supersizes available now, doesn't mean every new map needs to use them.

Besides, adding new regions would break the classic scheme...

Anyway, this seems like a fun map to make graphics for... ;)

Postby carlpgoodrich on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm

Wow, major props! =D> =D> I really hope the gameplay ends up working because this map has loads of potential. I agree, in light of the classic layout (which I am still in awe of), I wouldn't add anything.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:23 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:Wow, major props! =D> =D> I really hope the gameplay ends up working because this map has loads of potential. I agree, in light of the classic layout (which I am still in awe of), I wouldn't add anything.

Though, to promote movement, I still think the Woodboro stations should be thrown in. With all the territories, you really need it.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
carlpgoodrich wrote:Wow, major props! =D> =D> I really hope the gameplay ends up working because this map has loads of potential. I agree, in light of the classic layout (which I am still in awe of), I wouldn't add anything.

Though, to promote movement, I still think the Woodboro stations should be thrown in. With all the territories, you really need it.

How so? Look at world 2.1. Lots of territories, no "teleports". It works fine anyway.

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:

Yeah, something to get around, airports maybe. Australia is bad enough on classic - on here there's even more bonuses to be had in a blocked-off corner. And, otherwise, it would be hard to get around the rest of the map with the number of regions about (and many of them being stacked for the small bonuses available).

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:36 pm

natty_dread wrote:Though, to promote movement, I still think the Woodboro stations should be thrown in. With all the territories, you really need it.

How so? Look at world 2.1. Lots of territories, no "teleports". It works fine anyway.[/quote]

You're point suggests that if there are no 'teleports' then the map might need more standard connections between continents (e.g. the antartic adding an extra route into Africa, Australia and South America - plus, of course, the Hawaii connection).

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:42 pm

natty_dread wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:

How so? Look at world 2.1. Lots of territories, no "teleports". It works fine anyway.

Who's to say we have to have this map follow 2.1 guidelines? Even so, "Ocean" can be held for a 5 troop bonus with just 2 border territories. Implementing a Woodboro station in each "continent" would help to balance at least that area. And besides, the bonus structure and territory connections of World 2.1 is more different from this than you'd think.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm not suggesting this map should follow world 2.1. Who'd even think something like that from what I said.

I'm merely using world 2.1 as an example of a large map that does not have teleporters in every corner that still works fine.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:51 pm

natty_dread wrote:I'm not suggesting this map should follow world 2.1. Who'd even think something like that from what I said.

I'm merely using world 2.1 as an example of a large map that does not have teleporters in every corner that still works fine.

Right... And my comments still apply.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:13 pm

And yet there are other solutions to the issue that do not involve littering the map with teleports. Such as this:

MrBenn wrote:Looking at it more closely, I think you'd have to reduce the Oasis bonus a bit so as to not skew the map so much towards that side.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 pm

natty_dread wrote:And yet there are other solutions to the issue that do not involve littering the map with teleports. Such as this:

There is still the pressing matter of movement around the map, that just fixes the bonuses, but movement is still an issue. The Woodboro stations allow for movement, but since they would have a decent neutral count on them, it would be largely used as an alternative route.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:24 am

And like I said... there's no teleports on World 2.1, yet it works fine. Why should this map need gimmicks like that? Especially if the map starts with a random deployment. Why would you need to be able to jump around the map? What's wrong with moving one territory at a time?

Call me old-fashioned, but adding "radio stations" on a map like this would just be cheesy. Woodboro is a totally different map, it's more a fun, light-hearted map (which is totally not a bad thing, I love Woodboro) and then we have this, a medley of CC classics. I don't think you should mix the two.

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:58 pm

natty_dread wrote:And like I said... there's no teleports on World 2.1, yet it works fine.

As I said, there are more routes around the map in 2.1 than this one, which is why movement might not be much of an issue on 2.1 but would on this.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:
natty_dread wrote:And like I said... there's no teleports on World 2.1, yet it works fine.

As I said, there are more routes around the map in 2.1 than this one, which is why movement might not be much of an issue on 2.1 but would on this.

Thank you!! That's what I've been trying to say! ED said himself the connections are Classic-based, not World 2.1 based. Heck, I'm the old dog, and I think it's time for new tricks. Why teach a new dog old tricks, when the new dog is capable of performing the new tricks?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:ED said himself the connections are Classic-based, not World 2.1 based.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

That's. Not. The. Point.

Connections can be added to places where they are needed, but a generic teleport system sprinkled all over the map? I don't think it suits the theme of the map.

Let's try it this way. Why exactly do you people think that movement would be a problem on this map? What are the problem parts?

Postby MrBenn on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Bonus values should reflect the ease with which an area can be held/defended.

In classic, Oceania is an attractive start because it gives a good place to build an army; however, while South America is harder to hold it offers better opportunities to expand and collect more bonuses.

I'm not convinced that you necessarily need to add more connections (although it may transpire that some more connections would be beneficial) as long as the bonuses even out in such a way to make several strategies viable.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby lolkittens on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 pm

This looks awesome
Sergeant 1st Class lolkittens

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box