Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Death Race: Mojave

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] Death Race: Mojave

Postby tec805 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:28 pm

Who=Inmates and prison staff
What=Staged death match race
Where=Prison in the Mojave desert
When=Not so distant future/past
Why/How=if it was good enough for a couple of movies, it may possibly be barely acceptable to CC players ;)

Important idea=No stack & smack. We will change as much of the map/gameplay/deploys as needed to make sure people have to move on the first turn. This map is about "race", not sit on your autodeploy for 2 turns then jump through a pit guard and steal someone elses car. AoR2 is what comes to mind for me, you need to move on turn one and never stop if you want to win. Obviously in different scenarios and settings there may be reasons to move slowly, but the track needs to be integral to game play for this idea to work.

Revision .95b thanks to the talented Mr. Grifftron!

.95b Minor update, cut paths in the tire barriers on the left and right to allow access from the track to Guard Clinton on the left and Guard Randy on the right. One way assault from track, guards don't have cars so they can't get onto the track. Added arrows to show direction instead of new text in the key.

.95 Change ground texture outside track/towers to make everything else stand out more. Stretch range rover, move star to hood. Wording in key. Font for my siggy.

.94 Move Impassables key to separate box. Added black border to key. Re-added numbers to Guard Towers. Reverted texture of Guard Towers to a single texture. Moved Armory to upper right. Added colored circles in Holding Areas to indicate regions in bonus. Reduced font size of track names. Overall revamp of key area, cleanup some wording and redo lines. Remove some arrows from track.

.93 Changed out a car. Added arrows to sniper key. Moved Armory key text. Slight position/line changes in legend. Added track bonus text.

.92 Updated graphics. Completed names. Added colored 88's to player starting positions, white starting numbers for neutrals. Adjustment to legend. Clarification of bonuses. Some font changes for readability. Changed labels of Holding Areas. Added some arrows on the track.

.91 fleshed out graphics and basic idea.

To Do:
Todas Familias. Win/Loss condition? Streamline the theme, dark, dirty, grunge, less white. Reduce different font usage. Add concrete walls to towers. Stuff!

Click image to enlarge.

Idea: Inmates race around the track, attacking ahead, laying waste behind them. The Warden and prison guards have their own ideas who should win. Second place is just the last to die! :twisted:

Win objective: Hold all 4 Guard Towers & Armory (maybe, need some more feedback)
Loss objective: none

Each player has at least 1 pit area. One-way assault to connected track, assault adjacent guard. Autodeploy +2.

Tracks assault (crash into) adjacent forward and forward-diagonally (no projectile weapons for inmates!), bombard to the adjacent rear (oil slick, drop bombs, spike balls). No exit from the track - you race, you win or you die! +1 for every two tracks.

Warden large neutral. Bombards all track positions and pit cars. Killer reset. Who doesn't wager on their own race? He helps his team win! No bonus. Connects to the Armory +1.

4 Guard towers. Center Elite Guards connects to Warden, center rear guards connect to holding areas. Players start with tower guards, 1 outer guard each on 8 player. Area bonus +2.

Towers connected to each other with catwalks holding snipers. +2 for holding any 3 snipers. Snipers bombard near tracks.

Holding Areas, 1 cell per player in 8 player game. Holding Area guard connects to local cells and adjacent guard towers through tunnels. +2 for Cell Guard and adjacent 4 cells.

Pit guards assault adjacent pit areas, adjacent guards and adjacent tunnel guards.
Last edited by tec805 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 20 times in total.
show: spoiler sigs are like my dice, they suck
General tec805

Location: ☀ Southern California, where the sunshine's shining ☀

Re: Death Race: Prison

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:15 pm

tec805 wrote:I would need to hire a graphics artist

How much are you paying? :lol:

Anyway... the idea is not the worst I've seen. It reminds me of Running Man, or some other dystopic future scenario where the right wing lunatics have finally fucked up the world... a pseudo-sport where prisoners and other poor folk are made to kill each other for the ruling classes entertainment. Kinda like hobo fights...

With an idea like this, a lot depends on the execution. I can see a good backstory in a map like this, but the trick is integrating that story with the graphics & gameplay of the map in such a way that it becomes obvious what the deal is, without having to explain everything explicitly.

Gameplay seems interesting from what I can tell, although it would be easier to evaluate if we could have a complete gameplay draft. Ie. all territories and map rules on the map image.

I'm looking forward to see where this goes...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby tec805 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:47 pm

natty_dread wrote:With an idea like this, a lot depends on the execution. I can see a good backstory in a map like this, but the trick is integrating that story with the graphics & gameplay of the map in such a way that it becomes obvious what the deal is, without having to explain everything explicitly.

Gameplay seems interesting from what I can tell, although it would be easier to evaluate if we could have a complete gameplay draft. Ie. all territories and map rules on the map image.

I'm looking forward to see where this goes...

The back story would be easy to envision as there have been multiple movies over the past 30 years laying out a foundation. Give the player a brief bit of text on what they are doing, not why, leave that to their imagination.
Last edited by tec805 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
General tec805

Postby tec805 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:56 pm

edit: wish I could delete old posts...
Last edited by tec805 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
General tec805

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Sorry, I have way too many projects going on at the moment... I hope you find someone though.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby kengyin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:24 pm

i could use premium, but im average at graphics
Sergeant kengyin

Postby tec805 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Feel free to work something up, if people like it we'll go from there =D>
General tec805

Postby kengyin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 am

so i assume that the bottom is completely symmetrical to the top? how many territories is the track?
Sergeant kengyin

Postby kengyin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:08 am

i can start you off with a basic image that includes all the territories. for legend, you could write what you want here and then i can add it on because with all the suggestions going around there are many things that im not sure what you are actually thinking of using
Sergeant kengyin

Postby tec805 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:31 pm

From reading the forum here's some other info I thought to clarify:
Who=Inmates and prison staff
What=Staged death match race
Where=Prison
When=Not so distant future/past
Why/How=if it was good enough for a couple of movies, it may possibly be barely acceptable to CC players ;)
Last edited by tec805 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
General tec805

Postby kengyin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:32 am

do you want to supersize this? because right now i can only fit 3 lanes and 51 territories on the track on the large map
Sergeant kengyin

Postby tec805 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:16 am

Maps of SuperSize must be worthy of needing the additional space (ie they shouldn't be unnecessarily big); mapmakers will be required to suggest their intended image sizes during the design brief stage, with permission to exceed the standard guidelines in exceptional cases to be granted by the Foundry Foreman. (In exceptionally-exceptional circumstances, there is the further potential for flexibility) - MrBenn

I don't think it would get approved being supersized with such low overall region count. 3 lanes of 51 regions + 49 more regions doesn't equal one of the magic numbers. Maybe increase the length of the regions to reduce the count to 42, add in some wrecks on the track, or we'll need to do something else to increase the total count to 104. More guards can always be added of course.
Last edited by tec805 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General tec805

Postby kengyin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:53 am

in my first mockup which is almost finished i have some wrecks and beer bottles and tires and prison clothes as some impassables on the track, i think i will make a better one though before posting it. i think the guard towers have room for more territories by the way
Sergeant kengyin

Postby tec805 on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Remember the magic numbers when thinking about region locations. We can have things like the catwalk have more regions without affecting bonuses, though that does affect moving between towers. The towers do not need to be as large as my drawing, the catwalks can be longer.

EDIT

I forgot about regions that must start as neutral to make the map play correctly when counting for the magic number. 25 are slated as neutral, so 49-25 = 24 plus track regions, we should be able to easily hit the high 60's sweet spot.
General tec805

Postby G_M on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 am

Didn't read everything, so not sure if it's already been mentioned, but what about the pressure plates they have in the movies?
+1 autodeploy for a defensive plate
+1 for a weapon plate
?
or something like that
Click image to enlarge.
Major G_M

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:43 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby grifftron on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 am

This bad boy is about to be revived :-$

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby tec805 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:23 am

grifftron wrote:This bad boy is about to be revived :-$

-griff

Updated first post :D
General tec805

Re: Death Race: Mojave UPDATED 11-1-11

Postby ironsij0287 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

Cool. I moved this back into the Drafting Room. Can you post the latest version on a new post as well, so folks can see it on this page too?
Sergeant 1st Class ironsij0287

Postby tec805 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:05 am

See the first post for current details, but here's the map.
Click image to enlarge.
General tec805

Postby kiwi3 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 pm

cool. i now have clothes and a hat!
Lieutenant kiwi3
SoC Training Adviser

Postby tec805 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:08 pm

kiwi3 wrote:cool. i now have clothes and a hat!

Girls with clothes, what's the world coming to? :shock: :D
General tec805

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:19 pm

After reviewing this map a couple of times, I can't seem to make heads or tails of the gameplay, but the graphics are pretty awesome.

You should try putting some numbers on the map indicating where the starting positions are and where their might be neutrals.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby tec805 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:26 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:After reviewing this map a couple of times, I can't seem to make heads or tails of the gameplay, but the graphics are pretty awesome.

You should try putting some numbers on the map indicating where the starting positions are and where their might be neutrals.

We'll put the numbers and more names shortly. Thanks for the feedback.
General tec805

Postby tec805 on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:57 am

tec805 wrote:See the first post for current details, here's the updated map.
Click image to enlarge.
General tec805

Next

Return to Recycling Box