Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Denmark

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby boberz on Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:29 am

i think this larger map should be made smaller in itself.

i think the playability is lacking somewhat as it seems to be a bit linear, but hey im not the one to decide so listen to other suggestions
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Mr Tumbler on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:42 pm

Made a new map, updated at the first post.
Private Mr Tumbler

Postby Pro_Snowboarder on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:12 pm

lookin' good. I like the mirmaid, cuz thats a big part of Denmark. I sugjest getting a better watter effect, and change the flag. It looks out of place, to small or something, can't put my finger on it. The land itself could also be improved, but im not shure how. sorry for being so vauge. Good luck with the revitions, and keep the mirmaide.

(sorry for the bad spelling)
I Hate Babies!

Caboose
Sergeant 1st Class Pro_Snowboarder

Postby Pro_Snowboarder on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:17 pm

woops, didnt read the "Things to do" lol o well, no harm done. at least we agree the watter needs an effect
I Hate Babies!

Caboose

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:19 pm

Can you post your updates throughout the thread. Makes it hard to follow the development of the map when you have to go back to the first post.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:31 am

love the new colour scheme and alos think the playability is more rounded (but i would say that) still think the map could be made smaller in its size make the yellow island a bit closer to the mainland then it will free up space on the right

Postby Mr Tumbler on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Posting the new map, also in the thread.

The new map at 2007-03-13

And as I wrote:

Removed a few connections:
1 from orange to blue (to the west)
1 from grey to green (to the south)

Added:
From yellow to orange (the long ferry connection).

Some questions:

- How can we increase usability of blue area/MIDDLE JUTLAND? It's still maybe a bit hard to defend. But maybe it's ok to have such an area. All maps do have large areas that are hard to defend, and it should not be that impossible.
- Should we have the long ferry connection from yellow to orange
- Do you like the graphical part? Personally I prefer a modern approach before some Viking theme.
- Changes of bonuses? Especially yellow might be worth more than 2 with the new long ferry connection.
- How do I fill the sea with a water pattern, and not just 1 color? I don't have photoshop, and I cannot manage to do it in GIMP.

Things still to do:

- Replace the water part to the south with a greyed land area belonging to Germany.
- Adding land names
- Changes sea from one color blue to a water pattern.
- Of course, adding the round land dots and making the xml-map.[/quote]

I will also look into making denmark smaller, with some space for sea around it.

I will also try another flag, I agree it looks out of place.

Will be back with more sometime soon...
Private Mr Tumbler

Postby boberz on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:03 pm

yes make yellow 3 and i do prefer a more modern aproach as there are already a few historical maps out there

Postby Samus on Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:32 pm

Mr Tumbler wrote:Some questions:

- How can we increase usability of blue area/MIDDLE JUTLAND? It's still maybe a bit hard to defend. But maybe it's ok to have such an area. All maps do have large areas that are hard to defend, and it should not be that impossible.

Most maps have this, players refer to it as a "neutral fighting ground" just like Asia on the Classic map. You don't really expect anyone to hold it, but it's there so that people can attack from or through it.

- Should we have the long ferry connection from yellow to orange

I say you remove the line and make both of these "ports," adding a third port in the green region to compensate for the fact that it only has 2 borders now. All ports can attack each other. It's pretty much the same as the naval bases in the Philippines map, which are worth +1 for all 3.

- Changes of bonuses? Especially yellow might be worth more than 2 with the new long ferry connection.

No, you didn't increase the borders at all, just added a second region. It is still 3 territories with 2 borders, that's only worth +2.

Fyn still has 5 territories but now only has 3 borders to 2 regions, it's only worth +3.
Major Samus

Postby Pro_Snowboarder on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:07 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Can you post your updates throughout the thread. Makes it hard to follow the development of the map when you have to go back to the first post.

personaly i think it is easier to fallow the map if it is updated on the first page, then you dont have to go scroling throught all the pages, just to find the latest map. or if it is on the last page, that also works
I Hate Babies!

Caboose

Postby boberz on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:08 am

i prefer seeing the map placed where it should be when it was posted because then we can see what comments hae been made since the latest update so can not repeat what has already been said a lot.

Postby Mr Tumbler on Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:35 pm

I'll continue to post at both places, first page and at it's place in the thread.
Private Mr Tumbler

Postby boberz on Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:05 pm

the flag seems to be pixelated and could you jazz up the title/signature a bit just too add flavour to the map

Postby nick13 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:59 am

Referring to your map 13/3/07

use æ's and ø's
Rename Jutland with the Danish name Jylland, then call them Nordjylland, Jylland and Synderjylland
I don't like the inclusion of Bornholm in the continent Hovedstaden, which means, basically, the administrative region
I prefer the continent layout of suggestion two from around 30 Jan, without Hovedstaden as a continent, and simply including it as Sjælland
Connect the long ferry link to Frederikshavn instead of København
Maybe connect the Dark Purple island to the Orange island
Cadet nick13

Postby nick13 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:02 am

Correction - I said Frederickshavn when I meant Fredericksborg

What I mean is make the Long ferry connection Frederickshavn - Fredericksborg
Cadet nick13

Postby Mr Tumbler on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am

New map 2007-03-19

I will address the issues in this thread later. Just want to post the new map right away. The most interesting aspects are:
- The change that Hovedstaden was removed, and Storstrom was introduced
- The connection from Sjaelland to Norhtern Jutland
- The removal of a small map outside Middle Jutland.
- The new graphic design.

Private Mr Tumbler

Postby madsanders on Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:40 pm

I can see that it has been some time since any work was done on this. A pity, because I think it would be very interesting (not least for us Danes.)

I have a few suggestions, that might solve some of the problems:

First I suggest to include airfields in Billund, Aalborg, Bornholm and possibly Aarhus connecting only to Copenhagen (not to eachother). In that way you could loose the not to appealing lines connecting Zealand and Bornholm and Nothern Jutland, and you would retain some realism, as this is actually existing routes.

In connection with this you could make Copenhagen a continent in itself with a +1 bonus, justified by the number of connections. I think these changes would greatly enhance the gameplay and actually make it a very interesting map.

You could use some of the Fjords (ie. Mariager Fjord, Kolding Fjord etc.) as barriers and if you stretch the imagination some of the 'rivers' of Jutland (Gudenåen, Storå etc.) Adding mountains would probably be to go to far, the highest point in Denmark being some 160 m. above sealevel.

Just to show what I'm thinking of. The red lines being impassables and the red dots airfields connecting only to the airfield in Copenhagen:

Finally I suggest to use Danish placenames to give the map just a bit of flavour: Nordjylland, Sonderjylland, Kobenhavn etc.

I hope my suggestions are helpful, and that somebody does in fact make the map some day.
MA
Corporal 1st Class madsanders

Postby madsanders on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:14 pm

Doing a bit of research I can see that Mr. Tumbler has not played a game since April, so he's probably gone from the site. But if anyone else picks up the task, that would be great. If not, then we'll have to do with the Scandinavia map, that's hopefully coming through.
Corporal 1st Class madsanders

Postby unriggable on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:19 pm

The logo at top left is hard to look at.
Cook unriggable

Postby Mr Tumbler on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:48 am

I've been away from play for a long while due to personal reasons. However, I'm back. If there is a great wish to continue the Danish map I can do so, or you can request the current graphics from me via the message system of Conquer Club.
Private Mr Tumbler

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:09 pm

I like the map, especially with the little mermaid statue.

One note -- you made most of the names Danish, but why not the map itself. Why not call it "Danmark" instead of the English "Denmark"?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby kAlz on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:44 am

Need any help with names/map tweak anything that isn't cording or have to make the actually map i don't have the skills for that, anything else I'm willing to help.

I am dane :)
Cook kAlz

Postby Mr Tumbler on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:26 am

Stopped playing for good now (at least I think so :) ). So if anyone likes this idea just take it over and continue.

If you need the maps already produced, email me at: mrtumbler at gmail dot com
Private Mr Tumbler

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:19 pm

How would people feel about me having a go at taking over the map?

It may not work out as I have very little time and I'll be off on holiday in a couple of weeks but I'll take a look to give it a try later.

I've emailed Mr Tumbler for the files anyway.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 pm

There are dozens more ideas I'd rather see worked on than this one.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box