[Abandoned] Marooned

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Marooned [6th/April]

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:29 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:[

ManBungalow wrote:PS. I think I'll include a simplified naming system in the next update. I was thinking of giving each of the three islands a name - let's say A, B and C. Then I could use double-digit numbers (00) as opposed to the three-digits we have now, and the log could show the regions as A01, A02....
What are your thoughts on this ?

This is a good idea.

I echo this, since...I suggested it I think! ;)

Subject: Marooned [6th/April]

AndyDufresne wrote:You have 3 islands, have you considered breaking it down that way, or adding a moniker in the naming convention to allow for easy name navigation that way?

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby iancanton on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 pm

nolefan5311 wrote:I do think you might need to add a unique attack option or two because as it stands there are a few too many chokepoints. Maybe add a couple of long range attack spots or make the mountain peaks border each other or something so it's easier to hop between islands.

at the very least, let 091 connect to the food at 073 to make part of the northern island less easy to cut off and defend. with this extra connection, things are a bit more fluid.

long-range attacks need to have some rationale behind them if they're added. the back-story is a bit lacking at the moment.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 pm

This is a big map of bullshit... sorry if you are offended.

but 200 more maps like this and you will help kill cc
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:24 am

army of nobunaga wrote:This is a big map of bullshit... sorry if you are offended.

I suppose the typical response is to explain how people have different opinions, but it's not really worth it in this case; go post in some other thread where people might give a damn (or two if you're lucky). Or at least elaborate.

- You don't have to play this map (that's even if I ever finish it)
- We already have 100+ standard gameplay maps which are practically identical, but portray different geographical regions
etc
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby army of nobunaga on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:02 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
army of nobunaga wrote:This is a big map of bullshit... sorry if you are offended.

I suppose the typical response is to explain how people have different opinions, but it's not really worth it in this case; go post in some other thread where people might give a damn (or two if you're lucky). Or at least elaborate.

- You don't have to play this map (that's even if I ever finish it)
- We already have 100+ standard gameplay maps which are practically identical, but portray different geographical regions
etc

Get mad if you want.

This will rival clandemonium. Well at least in that giant PoS there is some sort of difference in game play.

You guys ever stop to think that just because "I can make this Idea!" that it really may not be that good?

By all means make it. The Cow map looks better to me though, and I think you lose all friggin right to criticize ANY map if you are this blind on your own.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (5) General Contribution (1)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

I think there is more than enough room for a map like this on CC. There aren't many maps that are dealing with an island theme like this, and the concept of being marooned and fighting for resources and shelter I think is interesting enough. Some actual story, as suggested by Ian may go a long way towards solidifying everything as well.

Best of luck,

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:57 pm

I discussed this with nolefan some days ago. I think that more than a story, this map needs a gameplay that reflects the map idea. I mean if I was on a desert island I would try to find a way to go away from that island, so maybe collect some objects to build a ship or a raft. Collect some objects to allow resecuers to locate you and take you away from the island. Food can stay, you need it to survive, but I think that the "main" point of this map should be to escape from the island, not live on it! ;)

I don't remember all the details I discussed with nolefan, maybe he can give you more inputs about this possible direction to follow/investigate fi you're interested.

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:16 pm

I don't think you have to change the gameplay to be somthing like "Getting off the island" at least, ostensibly from the get go.

Think of this map as cover the first 100 days, and you are battling with the elements and others to survive and thrive. Then, you can decide about how to build your raft to get off the island once you are the king of it. ;)

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:35 pm

oh, in that case the background story is the way to go. :)

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:48 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:oh, in that case the background story is the way to go. :)

Haha, I don't know what is in ManB's mind, but maybe he can get some direction...and take the map a little somewhere!

Best of luck ManB,

--Andy
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator

Postby swimmerdude99 on Sat May 05, 2012 12:56 am

I really really really like this map, maybe it would be a cool idea to have some different bonuses like some of them can be autodeploys? like maybe a water source, or you could have wood and stuff too to be worth bonus, or make that an objective like was mentioned above, that might be fun, especially for freestyle 1v1

High Score: 2992
Major swimmerdude99

Medals: 85
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm

ManBungalow wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Hmm... a pretty open map this is.

Starting spots 124, 093 are almost identical.
Starting spots 116 and 110 are also identical. They are both strictly worse than 143 and 133.
Territories 080 and 135 is my personal favourite. Interesting formation down around 049-056.
037 is the worst possible starting location; should probably be beefed up a bit.

037 I feel has the advantage of being close to the 129/140 bonus pair, but still looks a little feeble, I'll grant.
I could remove region 044 if you feel that would make things better, or did you have something else in mind ?

I am only addressing this specific quote, but I am going to take into consideration the suggestions of others from this thread.

A few bombardable territories would work nicely, especially near the mountains. If not bombardments, then maybe 1-way attacks? I know that we don't the map to get too complex again, but it is fairly linear. I think everyone should get 2 starting locations, no matter how many players are in the game. I know there was a big ruckus in Clandemonium, but tbh, I would rather start small and then build rather than start everywhere. If some bombardments from mountains are added, then 037 could have a bombardment territory on the mountain beside it. If it was the only bombardment on the island, it would jump from the weakest starter to the strongest though, so some further thought is necessary.
show
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Contributor
Entertainment Contributor

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (5)

Postby ManBungalow on Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 am

@cartographers:

Are you sure I can't have the Pink Floyd reference?
Colonel ManBungalow

Medals: 84
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (12) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (6)

Postby Dunn Deegan on Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 pm

This map looks cool. I just found the link through the 'subliminal message.' I can't believe it's been in discussion for almost a year...I can't wait to play it :)
Major Dunn Deegan

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (2)

Postby nolefan5311 on Tue May 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Any updates on this on the horizon?
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box