Conquer Club

[Waiting] - WESTEROS (Game of Thrones)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:07 am

natty_dread wrote:Your shoreline looks pixelated. The territory borders look kinda blurry, too.

It is, I'm still debating the best way to fix it.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:41 pm

The Bison King wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Awesome! Though Dimwit or I will probably will have to start a new thread so we have 1st post control.

I think MrBenn can change the OP, if not Andy can do it. Just wall him and he'll get it done! ;)

Who wants/needs the first post?

I'll get back to you on that after I discuss it with Evil.

Updated. Bison King is now the Op.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Well, I'm looking forward to a solid draft. Also, Please post the date of the latest update in the thread title.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: WESTEROS (Game of Thrones)

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Ok here's the first real solid draft.

Updates:
Legend updated with all necessary info
Impassables made to look better
Sea territories re-arranged
Spelling fixes
Baratheon region extended west

Still to be resolved:
making a clear distinction between territories that can be used for the Greyjoy bonus and not.
Still needs a title and credit given to George RR

Other than that how are we liking this?

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:14 pm

I think making the Iron Islands' connection to the Crag and to Seagard one-way might be good, as it would prevent the Greyjoy bonus from being basically an extension of the Lannister or Tully lands.

One more graphical omission I see: You should draw us a thick and handsome wall for the North, lest the Others scour the whole continent before we can get to Final Forge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:57 am

Is that the large or small map?

Also, how about using a font like this: http://www.dafont.com/rostock-kaligraph.font
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Iliad on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:24 am

Good draft.

A few strategic things. Dorne should be smaller and one of the weaker kingdoms and needs less territories and smaller bonus.

Also Summerhall is supposed to be on the border of the Reach, Dorne and Stormlands, rather than being simply another territory in the latter.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:13 am

Iliad wrote:A few strategic things. Dorne should be smaller and one of the weaker kingdoms and needs less territories and smaller bonus.

Dorne is already in the weakest tier of kingdoms, on par with the Vale and the Riverlands. I don't think it needs to lose any territories. As for its physical size, I would agree that it's fair to move the mountain ranges separating Dorne and the Stormlands to the south somewhat; otherwise, the extent of Dorne pictured is more or less accurate.

Also Summerhall is supposed to be on the border of the Reach, Dorne and Stormlands, rather than being simply another territory in the latter.

It's also the case that Summerhall is a ruin by the time of Robert's Rebellion and not used as a seat for anyone. That said, there's nothing really else of interest in that geographic portion of Westeros. We could just use some Stormlands seat that has no stated location (like Grandview or Haystack Hall), but it's much less iconic.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:06 pm

I think making the Iron Islands' connection to the Crag and to Seagard one-way might be good, as it would prevent the Greyjoy bonus from being basically an extension of the Lannister or Tully lands.

Ok I can do that.

One more graphical omission I see: You should draw us a thick and handsome wall for the North, lest the Others scour the whole continent before we can get to Final Forge.

Agreed, I'm going to wait a bit to add that in just because I'm not sure how I want to make it look just yet.

Is that the large or small map?

Also, how about using a font like this: http://www.dafont.com/rostock-kaligraph.font

This is the large, and that font looks pretty good. I'll defientnly be playing around with the font as well. I won't be using Apple Chauncery again....

According to the maps and sources I've been using it's right about where it should be:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Summerhall

Dorne is already in the weakest tier of kingdoms, on par with the Vale and the Riverlands. I don't think it needs to lose any territories. As for its physical size, I would agree that it's fair to move the mountain ranges separating Dorne and the Stormlands to the south somewhat; otherwise, the extent of Dorne pictured is more or less accurate.

I'm confused by this post. It's unclear to me whether you want me to move the Dornish border south or not. As far as I can tell, if anything the border could be moved father North, but I think it's more or less in the right spot. keep in mind George R.R. has never released a map that shows the official borders of the 7 kingdoms and that fan made maps (like the one below) are more or less all I have to go off of.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QNgFA7OlZJ0/T ... itical.gif

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm trying to keep an eye on this map as it comes together. I have no idea what Game of Thrones is so I really can't be a huge help.

But it looks like its coming along pretty well. I like the forests and how they look like... forests.

Also, I like you signatures with the shields... I thought that was inventive.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 pm

The Bison King wrote:I'm confused by this post. It's unclear to me whether you want me to move the Dornish border south or not. As far as I can tell, if anything the border could be moved father North, but I think it's more or less in the right spot. keep in mind George R.R. has never released a map that shows the official borders of the 7 kingdoms and that fan made maps (like the one below) are more or less all I have to go off of.

One thing with Westeros is that there aren't really any *borders* per se; there are just certain areas of fealty and control. I guess what I really mean is that the way it is now emphasizes just the mountains to the north of the Kingsgrave region, when in fact the whole area down to Yronwood and Starfall is mountainous. One way you could amend this map, I think, would be to add a bit of texture on the territories that are forested or mountainous, sort of like in the first version of the map you posted; not enough that the text or the territory bounds get swallowed up, but enough that people can tell what kind of terrains the regions have.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Going to sticky this for now.

I have a few comments though, the mountains resemble clouds more than mountains. And your sea territories would need some names.

Are you going to paint this one when it comes to graphics time, BK? I think the style in Thyseneal might lend itself quite well.

EDIT: something has come to my attention... I read through the original thread quickly, but did not see it written that copyright permission had been given, only that the original mapmaker said it was given. I'm in the dark as to what the actual wording of the approval was or even if spockers was simply lying. Can you guys reaffirm the copyright? Or if you already have, point me in that direction?
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Can you guys reaffirm the copyright? Or if you already have, point me in that direction?

I can't personally... When Spockers said so I was skeptical but Mr. Benn didn't contest it so I assumed it was legit. I think you'll need to ask one of them.

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Going to sticky this for now.

I have a few comments though, the mountains resemble clouds more than mountains. And your sea territories would need some names.

Are you going to paint this one when it comes to graphics time, BK? I think the style in Thyseneal might lend itself quite well.

Lol, I can see that with the mountains, I'll work on them more, and yeah the sea territories do need names.

As for painting it I'm not sure. It's funny cause I used to fight tooth and nail to do everything on paper, but right now I'm really digging dong the whole thing on the computer. We'll see, for the moment I want to see how this can turn out in the current style, but I might make a switch depending on how I/others feel later on.

Postby natty dread on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:19 am

The Bison King wrote:
Can you guys reaffirm the copyright? Or if you already have, point me in that direction?

I can't personally... When Spockers said so I was skeptical but Mr. Benn didn't contest it so I assumed it was legit. I think you'll need to ask one of them.

As the mapmaker, it's your responsibility to ensure that the copyright permission for the map is valid.

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

natty_dread wrote:
The Bison King wrote:

As the mapmaker, it's your responsibility to ensure that the copyright permission for the map is valid.

Well, I'm not really sure how to verify this. Spockers hasn't been active on the site for over a year. Are there any CA's or Mods who were around at the time who know about the legitimacy of his claim?

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:48 pm

ask lack for spokers' email address and try contacting him. if that does not work you could always try getting the approval yourself. assuming spockers was telling the truth i can assume that if copyright was solved once it can be solved again.

either way it's better to know this now rather than later and waste precious hours working.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:33 am

The original threads were ...

Westeros - A Song of Ice and Fire [abandoned]
by Spockers on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 am
Latest Version:
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/KEYOGI/RWP/RWP-3.jpg

Previous Versions:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190 ... /RWPcc.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118 ... /RWP-7.jpg

Territories: 42

This is a joint project between myself and Keyogi.

It is taken from the George R. R. Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Copyright has been taken care of.
by DiM on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 am
edit// one more thing. you said copyright has been taken care of. what exactly did you do? i have a map in my mind but the copyright is problematic. do i just send an email? what do i say? how long do i wait? please pm me about this matter.
by Spockers on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm
Lets just say we made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
by DiM on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:06 pm
i'm serious about this. please pm me the details. i want to know what to do.
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:15 am

thehippo8 wrote:The original threads were ...

Westeros - A Song of Ice and Fire [abandoned]
by Spockers on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 am
Latest Version:
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/KEYOGI/RWP/RWP-3.jpg

Previous Versions:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190 ... /RWPcc.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118 ... /RWP-7.jpg

Territories: 42

This is a joint project between myself and Keyogi.

It is taken from the George R. R. Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Copyright has been taken care of.
by DiM on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:41 am
edit// one more thing. you said copyright has been taken care of. what exactly did you do? i have a map in my mind but the copyright is problematic. do i just send an email? what do i say? how long do i wait? please pm me about this matter.
by Spockers on Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm
Lets just say we made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
by DiM on Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:06 pm
i'm serious about this. please pm me the details. i want to know what to do.

...oh great, he was an idiot.

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 am

The Bison King wrote:...oh great, he was an idiot.

indeed he was. but that doesn't mean he did not solve the copyright issue. back then me and keyogi weren't exactly buddies, in fact we were quite the opposite. this spockers guy was keyogi's pet following him around licking his feet so maybe he didn't want to share his copyright details with me but he might be willing to do it for you.
it's worth trying to contact him. you've got nothing to lose.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby The Bison King on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Just so everyone is informed the Web Masters are currently trying to contact Spockers about the validity of his claim to the copy right.

Postby natty dread on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Wouldn't it be simpler to just contact the author and try getting the copyright that way?

Postby The Bison King on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:27 pm

natty_dread wrote:Wouldn't it be simpler to just contact the author and try getting the copyright that way?

That's what we do when Spockers either fails to respond or fails to provide us with any documentation. Don't worry, we have this all figured out.

Postby jimboston on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:36 pm

Hey all... I am not a map maker or anything, but I just wanted to say GREAT JOB so far. This looks great and I hope you all can figure out the copyright BS so you can get it done. I can't wait to play this map.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby Quass Debonair on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:57 pm

I hope the copyright issue for this is settled. I've been itching to play Risk on a Westeros themed map for a long time.
Private Quass Debonair

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box