Conquer Club

[Waiting] - WESTEROS (Game of Thrones)

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: GAME OF THRONES

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 pm

The Bison King wrote:btw, I need to know the maximum dimensions I'm working with on a supersized map?

I believe it's 1000x750 for the small supersize and 1400x1000 for large supersize.

Maybe we could keep the inset but, make it less specific. Instead of having actual characters, just the positions like: Iron Throne, Hand of the King, Grand Maester, Small Counsel, Kingsgaurd.

In that case, there wouldn't be justifications for the sigil links between Cersei and Casterly Rock, or Arryn and the Eyrie, so King's Landing becomes less of a hub and more a regular continent. But we can do without it. I suppose the map has enough new aspects without having the King's Landing inset.

Victor Sullivan wrote:I have one quick question: What is Westeros? 8-[

-Sully

It's the main continent from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Good books. Recommend it, if you've got some time.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:I have one quick question: What is Westeros? 8-[

-Sully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

HBO also just made a show about it.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:55 pm

I think some of those shield icons should be moved to reflect the spots they represent more accurately. For example, White Harbor is on the coast, Torrhen's Square is on the lake, Moat Cailin is further east and has that extension of the Saltspear next to it that makes it so important, etc. There are some pretty detailed maps of Westeros up on the web, the coolest of which is here.

Speaking of which, it might actually be nice to have a more prominent way of telling which Kingdom the territory belongs to, so we can put the sigils of each local house on the map instead of having the bland shields that are up there now. Perhaps a different outline or shape for the sigils of each kingdom...
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 pm

I think some of those shield icons should be moved to reflect the spots they represent more accurately. For example, White Harbor is on the coast, Torrhen's Square is on the lake, Moat Cailin is further east and has that extension of the Saltspear next to it that makes it so important, etc.

Gotcha, I'll make these adjustments in my next version, I'll be working on it more later tonight. I'm actually starting from scratch so that the proportions are correct.

Speaking of which, it might actually be nice to have a more prominent way of telling which Kingdom the territory belongs to, so we can put the sigils of each local house on the map instead of having the bland shields that are up there now.

Well the nice things about the blank shield is that you can put the army #'s over it with out blocking anything important, although I think explore more visually stimulating ways of presenting the banners is a fantastic idea that we should explore further into the process.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:29 am

K I'm going to drop this in layers so you can kind of see the process:

Just banners:
Click image to enlarge.

Banners and regions:
Click image to enlarge.

Banners, region,s and impassables:
Click image to enlarge.

Obviously I still need to put in Naval territories and what not. This is just a sketch, and much will change.

By the way here's my thought on how we could reincorporate the Iron Throne:

=====> = one way assault

All banner Great Houses =====> City Watch or City Walls (5 Neutral) =====>The Red Keep (10 Neutral) ======> Kingsgaurd (7 neutral) ======> Iron Throne (10 neutral)

Holding the Iron Throne would add+2 (or more) to each Great house and we could add a Victory condition where if you hold the Iron Throne as well as all (or at least 7) of the great houses you win.

Obviously the #'s in that can all be changed but you get the jist of it.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:14 pm

interesting idea :) ... I've just finished season 1 and found the plot quite interesting.

Shouldn't the Essos region and the city of Pentos across the sea in the East, and also that nomadic Dothraki horse warriors (a constant and present threat to the Seven Kingdoms), be represented here? And how to simulate the northern wilderness that lies beyond the Wall protected by the brotherhood of the Night's Watch?....
Major Kabanellas

Postby The Bison King on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Kabanellas wrote:interesting idea :) ... I've just finished season 1 and found the plot quite interesting.

Shouldn't the Essos region and the city of Pentos across the sea in the East, and also that nomadic Dothraki horse warriors (a constant and present threat to the Seven Kingdoms), be represented here? And how to simulate the northern wilderness that lies beyond the Wall protected by the brotherhood of the Night's Watch?....

Well the thing is there are so many aspects to these books that we could probably easily create 10 maps from them. There's just too much to fit everything into one map, so we have to focus in on certain things. For now I think doing a proper map of Westeros and the 7 kingdoms is a big enough undertaking unto it's own.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:56 pm

I think that many neutral territories to protect the iron throne is strictly unnecessary. In fact, I think just having King's Landing be able to bombard each Great House territory would be enough power for each player to want it if possible but to not break the game.
I'm thinking something like 3 neutrals to start with on each Great House and 5 on King's Landing. Perhaps an auto-deploy of 1 on each Great House, though I don't know that that's necessary.

Some spelling corrections:
I think you've got 'Clegane' as 'Glegane' and 'The Crag' as 'Grag'.
'Sea Gaurd' should be 'Seagard'
'Pike' should be 'Pyke' and is the south-central of the Iron Islands, not north-central. I think you can call the whole territory 'Iron Islands', though.
Strictly speaking, 'Cider Hall' is two words; 'Sunhouse' is one word.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:40 am

Keeping that in perspective I would prefer to have those 2 areas (Essos and the northern Wilderness) appearing on the map instead of a detailed King's Landing.

The Bison King wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:interesting idea :) ... I've just finished season 1 and found the plot quite interesting.

Well the thing is there are so many aspects to these books that we could probably easily create 10 maps from them. There's just too much to fit everything into one map, so we have to focus in on certain things. For now I think doing a proper map of Westeros and the 7 kingdoms is a big enough undertaking unto it's own.
Major Kabanellas

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:26 am

I think that many neutral territories to protect the iron throne is strictly unnecessary. In fact, I think just having King's Landing be able to bombard each Great House territory would be enough power for each player to want it if possible but to not break the game.
I'm thinking something like 3 neutrals to start with on each Great House and 5 on King's Landing. Perhaps an auto-deploy of 1 on each Great House, though I don't know that that's necessary.

Bombard or assault? I think that's a pretty good idea either way cause it's like you have Dragons :)

I think those neutral amounts sound about right for starting, and I also agree that the Great Houses should all be a +1 auto-deploy (especially if we include this bombard rule) It makes it just a tad bit like feudal war, which is good since this is a feudal society. It also makes it more about slowly moving large armies and less about quickly grabbing capitals, which I prefer.

think you've got 'Clegane' as 'Glegane' and 'The Crag' as 'Grag'.
'Sea Gaurd' should be 'Seagard'
'Pike' should be 'Pyke' and is the south-central of the Iron Islands, not north-central. I think you can call the whole territory 'Iron Islands', though.
Strictly speaking, 'Cider Hall' is two words; 'Sunhouse' is one word.

Noted. When I get home at 4 I'm going to do a new draft with the Legend.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 am

P.S.

I know this is still a ways off bou should design a Sigil and we can use them signature!
Here's mine (liable to change):

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 am

The Bison King wrote:Bombard or assault? I think that's a pretty good idea either way cause it's like you have Dragons :)

Bombard. The dragons proper are gone by the time frame depicted; all Targaryens command now is loyalty and fear.

I'll go about crafting myself a sigil later in the day. What to pick for it, though....
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Noted. When I get home at 4 I'm going to do a new draft with the Legend.

Ok I lied, I actually just ended up eating dinner and watching some movie about Lions... I worked on it a little but nothing worth posting. I'll have a new draft soon.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Here's a few alternative versions of the Evil DIMwit sigil:
Image Image Image
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:17 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:Here's a few alternative versions of the Evil DIMwit sigil:
Image Image Image

Ooh, I think I like the middle and right one most.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby The Bison King on Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:00 am

Click image to enlarge.

Ok I think I got all the necessary points put into the legend I might have missed some things though.

Things to notice:

-Legend (obviously going to receive a makeover soon)

-Spelling fixes

-Sea connections
-Notice that I didn't connect the Narrow sea with the Sunset sea, this was intentional but we can always change it back later on down the road. I think it will be better not to give players in the south a quick path around the continent, also in the books no one ever seems to travel around Westeros by sea, they just sort of travel north to south or across the Narrow sea. Granted I'm still on the 3rd book.

-The mountains dividing the Vale
-If you look at the mountains west of Strongsong in the top right you'll notice they look different, they look... better. I'll redo all of the mountains in a similar fashion in time, but for now I just wanted to show you something closer to what they''d actually look like. Granted they may be changed yet again further on.

Those are the big things to look for now. I mostly just wanted to put up a version that had all the necessary information on it.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Sea connections:
Fleets sail around Westeros all the time. I don't mind the southern connection being omitted gameplay-wise, but thematically it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Mountains:
I think for all the mountain ranges, you've got enough space to play around with that you can make the mountains space-filling, rather than linear. Same with some of the forests.
I think giving mountains the same coloring as the terrain they're on would go a good way towards establishing them as features of geography rather than rows of rocks laid down on a flat table.

Legend:
- Reduce the Baratheon territory bonus to 1
- Increase the Targaryen bonus to 2
- Mark the +1 autodeploy for Great Houses on the legend.
- We should find some way to visually explain where the 'west coast' ends for Greyjoy purposes.

Nitpicks:
- You missed a letter in the quote at the bottom.
- You missed a letter in "The Crag." Is there something wrong with your R key?
- Put in something to the effect of "Based on A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin." Gotta give the man his props.
- Nightsong's territory is too small. You can also expand Fellwood (which on the map as 'Felwood') and Kingswood west a bit.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:34 pm

[Moved] into the drafting room.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Bison King on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:22 am

MrBenn wrote:[Moved] into the drafting room.

Awesome! Though Dimwit or I will probably will have to start a new thread so we have 1st post control.

Sea connections:
Fleets sail around Westeros all the time. I don't mind the southern connection being omitted gameplay-wise, but thematically it doesn't make a lot of sense.

K, for now we'll leave it but we can always change our minds later.

Mountains:
I think for all the mountain ranges, you've got enough space to play around with that you can make the mountains space-filling, rather than linear. Same with some of the forests.
I think giving mountains the same coloring as the terrain they're on would go a good way towards establishing them as features of geography rather than rows of rocks laid down on a flat table.

Some good idea's. I'll be playing around with this a lot as time goes on.

- Reduce the Baratheon territory bonus to 1

K

- Increase the Targaryen bonus to 2

K

- Mark the +1 autodeploy for Great Houses on the legend.

Oops, I knew I'd forget something.

- We should find some way to visually explain where the 'west coast' ends for Greyjoy purposes.

Yeah, I could see where that might become necessary. I was thinking from Sunhouse up to Deepwood moat, any tert that touches the sunset sea.

- You missed a letter in the quote at the bottom.
- You missed a letter in "The Crag." Is there something wrong with your R key?

probably...

- Put in something to the effect of "Based on A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin." Gotta give the man his props.

Very true.

- Nightsong's territory is too small. You can also expand Fellwood (which on the map as 'Felwood') and Kingswood west a bit.

Ok this all sounds good to me. I'll probably have some time to make these changes in the next few days.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:15 am

The Bison King wrote:Awesome! Though Dimwit or I will probably will have to start a new thread so we have 1st post control.

I think MrBenn can change the OP, if not Andy can do it. Just wall him and he'll get it done! ;)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:45 pm

isaiah40 wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Awesome! Though Dimwit or I will probably will have to start a new thread so we have 1st post control.

I think MrBenn can change the OP, if not Andy can do it. Just wall him and he'll get it done! ;)

Who wants/needs the first post?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Bison King on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:35 pm

MrBenn wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:

Who wants/needs the first post?

I'll get back to you on that after I discuss it with Evil.

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:06 am

Let Bison have it. It'd be easier for him to update.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:Let Bison have it. It'd be easier for him to update.

That sounds good to me. I've been working on this a bit today. I haven't got it to a point where it's worth a new update but here's a look at some of the cosmetic changes:

Sergeant The Bison King

Postby natty dread on Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:13 am

Your shoreline looks pixelated. The territory borders look kinda blurry, too.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box