Conquer Club

*[Abandoned] Papua New Guinea

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

*[Abandoned] Papua New Guinea

Postby ndrs on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:13 pm

ImageImage

Large map (840 x 800):
Click image to enlarge.

show: old versions

Map Name: Papua New Guinea
Mapmaker(s): ndrs

Background:
This is the winning entry of the Papua New Guinea Graphics Contest. I did the graphics, not the gameplay.
If you are the guy behind the gameplay and want to be added to this post – let me know. :lol:

Number of Territories: 57
Neutral Territories: 4 (Mt Hagan, Koroba, Arawa, Misima)
Bonus Regions: 9

Special Features: none

Distribution:
2 players - 17 territories each - drop of 5
3 players - 17 territories each - drop of 5
4 players - 13 territories each - drop of 4
5 players - 10 territories each - drop of 3
6 players - 8 territories each - drop of 3
7 players - 7 territories each - drop of 3
8 players - 6 territories each - drop of 3

To Do List:

Get a stamp... ;)

Discussions Needed:
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:49 am, edited 29 times in total.
Reason: Title and dot
Colonel ndrs

Re: Papua New Guinea [01 Nov 2011]

Postby ndrs on Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Please comment and discuss – I'll wait for the To Do list to grow before I make the first update.
Colonel ndrs

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 am

I like the bottom map facts, it is a nice touch to the aesthetic of the map. I also am warming to the idea of no bonus legend, since you put the bonus numbers on their respective bonus zones, but the empty space of the map seems like it could handle a legend somewhere.

How are bonus zones going to be defined in the xml, and appear in the game log? What names will they have? Are they named after the region with bonus number on it? I.E. Bonus Zone/Continent Tari, Balimo, Kimbe, etc?

Keep it up.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ndrs on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I like the bottom map facts, it is a nice touch to the aesthetic of the map. I also am warming to the idea of no bonus legend, since you put the bonus numbers on their respective bonus zones, but the empty space of the map seems like it could handle a legend somewhere.

How are bonus zones going to be defined in the xml, and appear in the game log? What names will they have? Are they named after the region with bonus number on it? I.E. Bonus Zone/Continent Tari, Balimo, Kimbe, etc?

Keep it up.

--Andy

Good point Andy. We must be able to refer to a specific bonus region in game chat as well...

I'm adding this to the To Do list.
Colonel ndrs

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 am

Congrats on the win.

A couple of points.
Mistake on the south bridge. Needs to go between Balimo and Daru.
Would be nice if you could move Bougainville into the map so it is not heading off the image.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ndrs on Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Congrats on the win.

A couple of points.

Thanks Koontz. :)
Mistake on the south bridge. Needs to go between Balimo and Daru.

I realised it when I drew it, but decided to keep it where it was. It doesn't have any effect on gameplay and I'm sure there are many bridges along that river IRL?
Would be nice if you could move Bougainville into the map so it is not heading off the image.

In reality Bougainville sits a bit east of Rossei, so its position is already rather distorted.
I also like how it somehow stabilizes the map on the east-west axis the way it is now.
Colonel ndrs

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:04 pm

I realised it when I drew it, but decided to keep it where it was. It doesn't have any effect on gameplay and I'm sure there are many bridges along that river IRL?

Might be true, but it is not the correct position for the map you where given to copy. :P
In reality Bougainville sits a bit east of Rossei, so its position is already rather distorted.
I also like how it somehow stabilizes the map on the east-west axis the way it is now.

Ok.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ndrs on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:12 am

koontz1973 wrote:Ok.

Then again, if I add 22px to the width I can fit the whole island. I've thought about it and like the idea! *adding to the list*
Colonel ndrs

Postby gimil on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 pm

[moved] to the main founry.

For the sake of formaliaties here are your stamps. Feel free to present them on the first post of this thread:

ImageImage

THere are not final seals of approval. So if any concerns are raised about gameplay they will still have to be addressed. Also you haven't filled out your distribution section in the original post. Also remember that when you update your map it is best practice to both post the image in a new post (within this thread) as well a updating the first page with the most recent update.

Good luck with your first venture ndrs. ;)

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Peter Gibbons on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Very happy this one won the competition. Congrats, ndrs.

I would personally identify two things that might need tweaking insofar as graphics/presentation:

1) I'd look for a new font for the territory names. It just looks like a placeholder and very basic at the moment. I think a strong font could add flavor to the map.

2) I wonder if the impassables need to be defined in a key. They do seem pretty obvious to me, but we've had some more obvious maps "idiot-proofed" in the past, so it's probably at least worth the discussion now before we get too far along.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 pm

ndrs wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:Ok.

Then again, if I add 22px to the width I can fit the whole island. I've thought about it and like the idea! *adding to the list*

Well you do have up to 840 wide to work with. The gameplay draft is at 840x800, so you could use that size.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ndrs on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:56 pm

gimils wrote:... Also you haven't filled out your distribution section in the original post ...

Good luck with your first venture ndrs. ;)

Thanks, gimil :)
Need to know the number of neutrals before I fill it out. With 57 territs I guess there will be at least one neutral?

Peter Gibbons wrote:Very happy this one won the competition. Congrats, ndrs.

I would personally identify two things that might need tweaking insofar as graphics/presentation:

1) I'd look for a new font for the territory names. It just looks like a placeholder and very basic at the moment. I think a strong font could add flavor to the map.

2) I wonder if the impassables need to be defined in a key. They do seem pretty obvious to me, but we've had some more obvious maps "idiot-proofed" in the past, so it's probably at least worth the discussion now before we get too far along.

Thanks, Peter :)
Very good ideas. I agree. *adding to the list*

--

Lots of other things going on lately – but I hope to have a new version out after the weekend.
Colonel ndrs

Postby Kabanellas on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 am

Very good looking map Anders! :)

AndyDufresne wrote:How are bonus zones going to be defined in the xml, and appear in the game log? What names will they have? Are they named after the region with bonus number on it? I.E. Bonus Zone/Continent Tari, Balimo, Kimbe, etc?

Maybe you could place the names of those region bonus in the same way you did for the bonus. It could be with a different font with some transparency.
Major Kabanellas

Postby perchorin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:53 am

Kabanellas wrote:Very good looking map Anders! :)

AndyDufresne wrote:How are bonus zones going to be defined in the xml, and appear in the game log? What names will they have? Are they named after the region with bonus number on it? I.E. Bonus Zone/Continent Tari, Balimo, Kimbe, etc?

Maybe you could place the names of those region bonus in the same way you did for the bonus. It could be with a different font with some transparency.

You could do it like the Macedonia map I believe, where one of the terts within the region is the region name and it's in a larger/bolder font so people know.
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:55 am

perchorin wrote:You could do it like the Macedonia map I believe, where one of the terts within the region is the region name and it's in a larger/bolder font so people know.

That would be the way to go.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:40 am

ndrs wrote:Need to know the number of neutrals before I fill it out. With 57 territs I guess there will be at least one neutral?

I see I totally overlooked this, there will be 4 neutrals for a total of 53 starting territories, and those neutrals will be placed on:
1. Mt. Hagan
2. Koroba
3. Arawa
4. Misima
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 am

It's passed a month and this thread has just 16 post?
what happened to all the people who voted for this map? :-k

You should try to keep it updated or it will stay at the bottom of the foundry. Try to push the map production in the direction you want to see it developed. People can't help you if you don't show them the way. ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:It's passed a month and this thread has just 16 post?
what happened to all the people who voted for this map? :-k

You should try to keep it updated or it will stay at the bottom of the foundry. Try to push the map production in the direction you want to see it developed. People can't help you if you don't show them the way. ;)

Nobodies

I'm waiting to see an update. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Peter Gibbons on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 am

Same here.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby natty dread on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:26 pm

So what happens if this map gets abandoned and the mapmaker never shows up again? Do we go back and vote another contest winner?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:31 pm

natty_dread wrote:So what happens if this map gets abandoned and the mapmaker never shows up again? Do we go back and vote another contest winner?

And this is why a graphics contest won by a new person does not produce the results. This is now 2 maps from 2 contests that have not produced one that we can play on. Can we get another vote?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:04 am

I can't be thew only one who thinks a minimap might be better than trying to find the bonus numbers faded into the map.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Whatever happened to this?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby zimmah on Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:09 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
natty_dread wrote:So what happens if this map gets abandoned and the mapmaker never shows up again? Do we go back and vote another contest winner?

And this is why a graphics contest won by a new person does not produce the results. This is now 2 maps from 2 contests that have not produced one that we can play on. Can we get another vote?

and it wasn't even the best map to begin with in my opinion :roll:
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby ndrs on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your support. I've been busy with work and life overall, but I do not intend to bin this project.
I plan to pick up the map making again after the holidays.

And yes, obviously some of you will feel that some other map was better – I did not win with 100% of the votes.
But remember, with meaningful input you can all help steer this map in a direction of your liking.

To show some good faith, here is some work I did on the map before I ran out of free time:

Click image to enlarge.

I was planning on giving it a board game feeling with a deck of cards, some dices, etc. A couple of turned over cards could hold the region bonuses and so on.

A revamp of the texts is in the making as well.
Last edited by ndrs on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel ndrs

Next

Return to Recycling Box