Conquer Club

*[Abandoned] Papua New Guinea

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Vacation valid till Aug 2012] Papua New Guinea

Postby Peter Gibbons on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Anything on this...? Would love to play it soon!
Major Peter Gibbons

Re: [Vacation valid till Aug 2012] Papua New Guinea

Postby nolefan5311 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 pm

The six months of vacation for this map has expired and this map will now be labeled as [Abandoned]. If the original mapmaker wants to continue this map project that's fine but an update must provided. From this moment anyone else is free to take this project without the original mapmaker permission, but it has to be started from scratch.
Captain nolefan5311

Re: [Abandoned] Papua New Guinea

Postby ManBungalow on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

I'm going to try pick this map up if that's okay?

With a different graphics style.

I just want something which will pass the gameplay stage without too much fuss really.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby pamoa on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am

as it was a competition result I'm not sure if it shouldn't be the 2nd who will get the priority
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:44 am

pamoa wrote:as it was a competition result I'm not sure if it shouldn't be the 2nd who will get the priority

That might be the case, but rules are rules. The 6 months are up and this is now any ones map to make. It is just a shame that all this great work is going to go unfinished. :(
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ndrs on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Personally I feel the map would work as is (and look pretty damn good). In the end I felt I couldn't afford putting in the time when there's a good chance it could drag on and on and be demands for changes I really didn't wanna do.
I'm totally cool with whomever wants to take over from here.
Colonel ndrs

Postby Gilligan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 pm

If all that's left is to finish a little graphics and the XML, I'd be happy to write it.
Captain Gilligan

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:59 am

The conquerclub agreement is not our friend in this case:
The author retains copyright on their work, and gives Conquer Club permission to use the imagery free of charge....omissis

This map is dead till the author decides to work again directly on it (which doesn't seem the case reading ndrs post) or someone will start the project from the scratch....and it's what ManB is doing.
ManB map looks very nice and promising, I strongly suggest everyone to go there and give support, suggestions and advices to that map, instead of waste time here.

I'm sorry guys, but I think you're riding a dead horse here.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby ndrs on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:52 pm

V7

Changes:
- Made the small version map.
- Very minor graphic tweaks (the kind no one would notice :)

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by ndrs on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel ndrs

Re: [Abandoned?] Papua New Guinea V7 p10

Postby benga on Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:40 pm

wow this map looks awesome
Sergeant benga

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Nice thing you want to continue this.
A question, with everything included do you mean? O:)
Please make a list of the changes you did, it will make our life much much easier, specially in this case.

Now, I have two minor suggestion:

The title, it's possible to make it in a way so it stands out a bit more. Nothing eccessive, but maybe some lighter color to outline the letters?

Sea connections, they looks done in a way like you did them just because you had to do them. They look poor compared to the rest of your graphics, that are very very good! :)

Oh final thing, save the file always as png instead of jpg ;)

So, do you want this moved to the foundry system?

Nobodies

Postby Seamus76 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:48 pm

So all the work ManB did is for nothing? I like this map, and completely understand, but that's a shame.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby ndrs on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:29 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Nice thing you want to continue this.
A question, with everything included do you mean? O:)
Please make a list of the changes you did, it will make our life much much easier, specially in this case.
Done! :)

Now, I have two minor suggestion:

The title, it's possible to make it in a way so it stands out a bit more. Nothing eccessive, but maybe some lighter color to outline the letters?
The idea was actually to make the title and facts blend into the background. There's pretty much going on visually already, so I was toning them down to make sure they didn't disturb the tactical overview.I can brighten it a bit if there is another update.

Sea connections, they looks done in a way like you did them just because you had to do them. They look poor compared to the rest of your graphics, that are very very good! :)
I think they are in line with theme - the land and sea are made up of very simplistic solid blocks, so the routes are siplistic solid lines with drop shadow! I had them dotted in earlier versions, but it looked cluttered. And thanks :)

Oh final thing, save the file always as png instead of jpg ;)
OK!

So, do you want this moved to the foundry system?
Well, let wait and see what the people thinks. I don't want to step on ManBungalow's toes.

Nobodies
Last edited by ndrs on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel ndrs

Postby ndrs on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Seamus76 wrote:So all the work ManB did is for nothing? I like this map, and completely understand, but that's a shame.

Yeah, I hear you. I said the same to Koontz over pm's.
I wish I was informed that MB was thinking of starting this map up again.

That's why the status is [Abandoned?]. :)
Colonel ndrs

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm

ndrs wrote:
thenobodies80 wrote:So, do you want this moved to the foundry system?

Well, let wait and see what the people thinks. I don't want to step on ManBungalow's toes.

ok, no rush ;)

Postby Peter Gibbons on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:26 pm

I've always been a big fan of this map, from the initial competition. And felt that it was so close to the old "final forge" so was disappointed that it was left abandoned. Glad to see ndrs has picked it up and I hope this version goes back to the foundry quickly.

That said, it does suck that ManBungalow put in all that work. I hope he uses his skills and applies them to a similar region for a map... maybe Indonesia could work?
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Whattup team,

I approve of the ndrs map.
So long as this gets finished, I'd love to play it, and you can close my other map thread up.

Cartographers - maybe you could consider adjusting the policy of the recycling box so that when a map is abandoned it actually is abandoned? Though I'm not really sure what to suggest at this point.

But more on-topic:
I think we'd benefit from seeing where the 888 troop numbers are going to be; some of the region names may need moving very slightly.

MB
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby ndrs on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:28 am

You're a gentleman MB. Your map looked really nice - I hope you got inspired to work on something else.

Foundry, please. :)
Colonel ndrs

Re: Papua New Guinea V7 p10

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:01 am

ndrs, can you bung on some 888s so we can see the spacing issues. As this is the large map, the 888s need to fit inside the regions.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby isaiah40 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:42 pm

A couple of minor things.
1. Can you make the bridges a tad bit wider so they are more easily seen.
2. This more of a personal request, I agree with tnb here:
thenobodies80 wrote:Sea connections, they looks done in a way like you did them just because you had to do them. They look poor compared to the rest of your graphics, that are very very good! :)

and I do agree with your response:
ndrs wrote:I think they are in line with theme - the land and sea are made up of very simplistic solid blocks, so the routes are siplistic solid lines with drop shadow! I had them dotted in earlier versions, but it looked cluttered. And thanks :)

But I was wondering how they would look along the same lines as you have the land areas?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby ndrs on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:13 am

koontz1973 wrote:ndrs, can you bung on some 888s so we can see the spacing issues. As this is the large map, the 888s need to fit inside the regions.

Will do! How do you mean "fit inside"? Is it OK like it is on the Gallipoli map?

I'm in the process of changing around some of the region colors as well to meet the color blind criteria.
Colonel ndrs

Postby ndrs on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 am

isaiah40 wrote:A couple of minor things.
1. Can you make the bridges a tad bit wider so they are more easily seen.
2. This more of a personal request, I agree with tnb here:
thenobodies80 wrote:Sea connections, they looks done in a way like you did them just because you had to do them. They look poor compared to the rest of your graphics, that are very very good! :)

and I do agree with your response:
ndrs wrote:I think they are in line with theme - the land and sea are made up of very simplistic solid blocks, so the routes are siplistic solid lines with drop shadow! I had them dotted in earlier versions, but it looked cluttered. And thanks :)

But I was wondering how they would look along the same lines as you have the land areas?

Thanks for your input man. :)

1. I agree on the bridges.
2. I've thought about it and have an idea for the sea routes for the next update.
Colonel ndrs

Postby ndrs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Reposting this in hope koontz will see it.

ndrs wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:ndrs, can you bung on some 888s so we can see the spacing issues. As this is the large map, the 888s need to fit inside the regions.

Will do! How do you mean "fit inside"? Is it OK like it is on the Gallipoli map?

I'm in the process of changing around some of the region colors as well to meet the color blind criteria.
Colonel ndrs

Postby Gilligan on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:17 pm

ndrs wrote:Reposting this in hope koontz will see it.

ndrs wrote:

It's just placing an 888 in every region to show that it won't overlap into other regions and that it fits in the one region it belongs to. The "fit inside" means that the army isn't north of the island it represents, rather on top of it.
Captain Gilligan

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:57 pm

That is it. Being that this is the large map, the 888 should fit comfortably inside the region. You may need to slightly tweek some names to get this correct but I cannot see and major things that will need to change for this. Make sure you put different coloured ones also onto the map. orange into orange territs, green into green. This will need to happen later for the graphics stamp so might as well get it done now. Post the 888 map in the first post as well. Then you can tick that of the list of things to do.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box