Conquer Club

[Abandoned] Pirates and Merchants - V9 - Pg 1&13

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Pirates and Merchants [06.Jan.12] - Missions Map - V5 -

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Well, lets get this one a movin'

Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:33 pm

woohoo :)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:59 pm

V6:
*solved the issue with the tilted ships
*fixed the missing port and treasure
*added 3 new fonts in the bottom right corner. take your pick of make a new suggestion.

Click image to enlarge.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re: Pirates and Merchants [17.Jan.12] - Missions Map - V6 -

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am

I think the font you have now is good. It just needs to be bold or a little bigger. Just seems so skinny. Fill it out. :D
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby J_Indr on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 am

I like the original AND the last one.

Could you consider bolding the part of each story that contains the mission? I, for one, would not want to read the whole fancy story every turn I am thinking about potential missions of my opponent/s. Bolding the mission itself could make it easier (especially since you are using these cursive fonts).

Cheers
Corporal 1st Class J_Indr

Postby lostatlimbo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:32 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:I think the font you have now is good. It just needs to be bold or a little bigger. Just seems so skinny. Fill it out. :D

This
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Oneyed on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am

the orignal font seems the best. what about to add map to centre and all legend around it? so the map will be not divided so suddenly...

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby J_Indr on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 pm

DiM, I just read through the missions properly (and I still think that you should bolden the missions in the text). For the beginning, I think you want to say that Jesse the Ox's mission is to own 14 territories rather than regions?

Also, could you create some sort of special marker that you could put on the non-port / non-treasure special mission requirement territories? (perhaps one special mark for each character that has these missions)

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 pm

J_Indr wrote:territories rather than regions?

Regions is the correct word for territories.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby J_Indr on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:45 pm

natty_dread wrote:

I know natty, I've been here long enough to read a lot of these copyright-related territory/region comments by you and others. But next time, please look at the map first (did you, before commenting?). DiM is using word "regions" for bonus regions and the word "territory" for single zones consistently through the missions and the gameplay explanation.

Maybe I was wrong and should have suggested that he renames all "territories" as regions and then calls "regions" something different. I have no idea what though. "Colonies"?

Postby natty dread on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:01 pm

The game log calls them regions, so for consistency it is preferable for maps to refer to territories as regions as well. Not all older maps do this, but new maps should preferably do it.

As for bonus areas, there's no similar guideline for what to call them... it's up to the mapmaker to decide, and depends on the context of the map. However, it's not suitable to call bonus areas regions, since this is potentially confusing to players, what with the game log and all.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 am

J_Indr wrote:DiM, I just read through the missions properly (and I still think that you should bolden the missions in the text). For the beginning, I think you want to say that Jesse the Ox's mission is to own 14 territories rather than regions?

will correct.

J_Indr wrote:Also, could you create some sort of special marker that you could put on the non-port / non-treasure special mission requirement territories? (perhaps one special mark for each character that has these missions)

i'm not sure. i think this might clutter the map unnecessarily especially on the small version.
also it might lead to confusion as only some terits are fixed cause most missions offer the liberty to chose what treasures to take or what regions to conquer. so marking just a few might make people think those are more important than others.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 am

J_Indr wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

I know natty, I've been here long enough to read a lot of these copyright-related territory/region comments by you and others. But next time, please look at the map first (did you, before commenting?). DiM is using word "regions" for bonus regions and the word "territory" for single zones consistently through the missions and the gameplay explanation.

Maybe I was wrong and should have suggested that he renames all "territories" as regions and then calls "regions" something different. I have no idea what though. "Colonies"?

i will change territories to regions and the regions will be called provinces.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 am

Nola_Lifer wrote:I think the font you have now is good. It just needs to be bold or a little bigger. Just seems so skinny. Fill it out. :D

i will make the text more visible as i currently have it on a lower opacity. i'll bring that up to 100%.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 am

J_Indr wrote:I like the original AND the last one.

Could you consider bolding the part of each story that contains the mission? I, for one, would not want to read the whole fancy story every turn I am thinking about potential missions of my opponent/s. Bolding the mission itself could make it easier (especially since you are using these cursive fonts).

Cheers

done.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:39 am

V7:
*renamed territories to regions and regions to provinces
*fixed mission for jesse the ox
*made the font more visible
*bolded the important parts of the missions.

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by DiM on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major DiM

Postby J_Indr on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:35 am

Looks much better =D>

Actually, for the sake of easier reading, could you make a small gap between the gameplay legend about merchants / pirates? Now it's basically 8 lines of cluttered text.

Postby DiM on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:29 am

J_Indr wrote:Looks much better =D>

perfect

J_Indr wrote:Actually, for the sake of easier reading, could you make a small gap between the gameplay legend about merchants / pirates? Now it's basically 8 lines of cluttered text.

at this moment all the text in the legend is up for discussion. and a lot of changes may occur so cosmetic things like what you suggested are better kept for last.

that being said, i edited the image above with a few minor legend tweaks. now could i get some gameplay feedback? mainly the missions, are they balanced? do they feel ok?
Major DiM

Re: Pirates and Merchants [30.Jan.12] - Missions Map - V7 -

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:57 am

Looking over the missions I feel that Jesse the Ox will probably be on the losing end just about every game. I suggest to lower the number of regions he has to hold from 14 to 10. This will be more in line of the others, as they only need to hold anywhere from 7 to 10 regions with the exception of Sir Zimmah who needs to hold a min of 9 regions and it goes up depending on where he goes.

- Herr Hindenburg needs to attack 10 regions to hold 7
- Erik the Dark needs to attack and hold 7 regions
- Red Beard needs to attack and hold 7 regions
- Lady Mia needs to attack and hold 7 ports
- Fearsome DiM needs to attack and hold 9 regions
- Baron von Bucht needs to attack 10 and hold 7 regions (includes Southern highlands which has 3 regions)

Everyone else is pretty balanced IMO. I think the two hardest will be Sir Zimmah and Jesse the Ox.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:08 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Looking over the missions I feel that Jesse the Ox will probably be on the losing end just about every game. I suggest to lower the number of regions he has to hold from 14 to 10. This will be more in line of the others, as they only need to hold anywhere from 7 to 10 regions with the exception of Sir Zimmah who needs to hold a min of 9 regions and it goes up depending on where he goes.

- Herr Hindenburg needs to attack 10 regions to hold 7
- Erik the Dark needs to attack and hold 7 regions
- Red Beard needs to attack and hold 7 regions
- Lady Mia needs to attack and hold 7 ports
- Fearsome DiM needs to attack and hold 9 regions
- Baron von Bucht needs to attack 10 and hold 7 regions (includes Southern highlands which has 3 regions)

Everyone else is pretty balanced IMO. I think the two hardest will be Sir Zimmah and Jesse the Ox.

i can easily implement this. anybody else thinks differently than what isaiah said?
Major DiM

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Since on one has made any other comment, I say implement the changes, and I'll get Ian to take a look at this as well. In the mean time let's get this stickied shall we??
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

cool, thanks. i'll post an update later today or early tomorrow :)
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Sadly, RL circumstances have prevented me from commenting too much. At any rate, I think we're being far too hasty here. These missions are going to need more than a second look. I'll be back.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:30 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Sadly, RL circumstances have prevented me from commenting too much. At any rate, I think we're being far too hasty here. These missions are going to need more than a second look. I'll be back.

-Sully

looking forward to your input.

even though i've already said that we will never get this balanced without test play. no matter what we decide here it will most likely change in beta
Major DiM

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 am

DiM wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Sadly, RL circumstances have prevented me from commenting too much. At any rate, I think we're being far too hasty here. These missions are going to need more than a second look. I'll be back.

-Sully

looking forward to your input.

even though i've already said that we will never get this balanced without test play. no matter what we decide here it will most likely change in beta

Right. At any rate, as I said in natty's War of Wizards map thread, we still need to have a good foundational gameplay structure going. In other words, we have to have something at least moderately solid to go off of.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box