Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - San Diego Tycoon

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue development of one of these maps?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:22 am

Total votes : 0

Postby unriggable on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:31 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:
unriggable wrote:LESS TRANSPARENT ARMY CIRCLES

oops, will fix. What do you think about more transparent with a white outline.... I'll play around with it and put up some samples.

Sounds good. Give it a go and see if it works.
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:14 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:
DiM wrote:
DiM wrote:wow only 14 people voted in 5 and a half months? :shock:

that was actually a hint :wink:

The poll was for 14 days. Do you want me to put up another with no limit?

then let me rephrase that. only 150 posts in almost 6 months? :wink:

the point is that the map has so little support i'm amazed by your stoicism. if i come up with an idea and it doesn't have 50 posts in the first week then i abandon it.

again i'm not saying the map is bad or that the idea is bad but judging by the number of posts in this thread is clear the fan base is rather small. and a basic requirement of any map is community support.
maybe think about redoing the map in a more attractive way. or add something to what you already have to make it better. gain more fans gather more feedback and then see where it all goes.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:28 pm

I see myself agreeing with Dim's good points here. Some times, as unfortunate as it may be, maps fall to the wayside of the Foundry Furnace. But perhaps you can revamp the idea a little, and make it all the more appealing. I wish you luck!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby TroyMcClure on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:47 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I see myself agreeing with Dim's good points here. Some times, as unfortunate as it may be, maps fall to the wayside of the Foundry Furnace. But perhaps you can revamp the idea a little, and make it all the more appealing. I wish you luck!

--Andy

Ouch! OK, I got the Foundry Foreman saying I should dump this map. I don't have the backing of the old guard here, so go ahead and retire it. It's a waste of time without support from a few of the higher ups.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby DiM on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:05 am

TroyMcClure wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I see myself agreeing with Dim's good points here. Some times, as unfortunate as it may be, maps fall to the wayside of the Foundry Furnace. But perhaps you can revamp the idea a little, and make it all the more appealing. I wish you luck!

--Andy

Ouch! OK, I got the Foundry Foreman saying I should dump this map. I don't have the backing of the old guard here, so go ahead and retire it. It's a waste of time without support from a few of the higher ups.

abandoning is not the solution. as i previously said, the map has a good idea behind it.

maybe try and change something to make it more appealing
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:45 pm

Andy has a history of not liking maps right away.

I like your map and the theme.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 pm

What coleman said is true...I usually dislike most maps until they are further on. ;) And just because I don't support the map, doesn't mean others don't. But like I mentioned, perhaps come back to it, or a similar idea, revamping it to appeal to a wider audience.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:30 pm

TroyMcClure wrote:

--Andy

Troy...i must say that i agree with Andy and Coleman on this.
I was hoping that you'd skill up and make something really nice happen with the graphics, but that didn't happen.

You need to create something that has wider appeal to the audience, and also looks really great. Your colours weren't together design-wise and that was what i was about to comment on next.

Please dont' think you are the only one who has had this happen to... i recently abandoned Sydney 2000 because of lack of support for the idea/gameplay from the Foundry.

Please, though do try to re-visit and even PM me, so that we can discuss options. Sometimes it is better to re-work something so that you produce a fantastic map. I still encourage you to keep trying. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby TroyMcClure on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14 pm

DiM wrote:abandoning is not the solution. as i previously said, the map has a good idea behind it.

maybe try and change something to make it more appealing

I thought that's what we were in the process of doing.

It was interesting, but I got other things to do.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby mibi on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:56 pm

I really liked this map and thought it was perfectly playable months ago.
Captain mibi

Postby Elijah S on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Troy... being a native San Diegan, I really liked the map and thought it was a great idea.

I think you should perhaps not completely abandon this project.

Cairnwk has been a great help to me with ideas and tremendous insight into graphics.
I'm sure, since the offer was made, that he'll be of great value in reviving this idea.
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby nagerous on Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:01 pm

:( :( :( :(
Captain nagerous

Postby TroyMcClure on Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:17 am

Elijah S wrote:Troy... being a native San Diegan, I really liked the map and thought it was a great idea.

I think you should perhaps not completely abandon this project.

Cairnwk has been a great help to me with ideas and tremendous insight into graphics.
I'm sure, since the offer was made, that he'll be of great value in reviving this idea.

I'll talk with Cairnwk. maybe we can put up some options to vote on (including a "don't want it" vote).
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby magneticgoop on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:31 am

don't give up it is good but i felt from the beginning that it was lacking something. i know you put a lot of work into it but i say just revamp the whole thing and start over. but don't abandon it
Fool me once, strike one. Fool me twice, strike...three.Image
Cook magneticgoop

Location: Screaming at the TV as Norv Turner turns the chargers into the worst team in the NFL =(

Postby TroyMcClure on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks Cairns for the bunch of good advice.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby nagerous on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:32 am

is this unabandoned? I hope so, advertise your thread more by saying new poll in the title in caps or something. People don't realise this maps here!
Captain nagerous

Postby Tisha on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:19 pm

map c isn't showing up for me..
Major Tisha

Postby TroyMcClure on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:33 pm

Tisha wrote:map c isn't showing up for me..

One map did not load for me, I reloaded the page and it came up. So try reloading. My picture hosting website may be slow.
Last edited by TroyMcClure on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby sparkyball on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:35 pm

I can see all of them
Lieutenant sparkyball

Postby TroyMcClure on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:32 am

sparkyball wrote:I can see all of them

Yeah, the hosting website was slow. Appears to be up to speed now.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby TroyMcClure on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:43 pm

Is everyone from San Diego OK? My friends had to evacuate, but were allowed to move back to their houses now.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby Elijah S on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:51 am

Troy-
I like this map and would definitely play it...
My suggestions right now are:
The east county areas be changed to something other than blue... The blue seems to give it an ocean look.
The areas you have labelled as North County aren't really what native San Diegans consider North County... that's further north and includes Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, etc...

Just food for thought there...

Glad to see you're proceeding with this!
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby TroyMcClure on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:30 pm

Elijah S wrote:Troy-
I like this map and would definitely play it...
My suggestions right now are:
The east county areas be changed to something other than blue... The blue seems to give it an ocean look.
The areas you have labelled as North County aren't really what native San Diegans consider North County... that's further north and includes Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos, Escondido, etc...

Just food for thought there...

Glad to see you're proceeding with this!

I'll change the blue to try something else.

For playability I called the top continent North County. What else can I call it? "North Side", "North San Diego",...
Sergeant TroyMcClure

Postby oaktown on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:38 pm

it's odd that the freeways end and then pick up again... are you ultimately planning to shoot the freeways all the way through but create some kind of overpass or other crossing?
Captain oaktown

Postby TroyMcClure on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:43 pm

oaktown wrote:it's odd that the freeways end and then pick up again... are you ultimately planning to shoot the freeways all the way through but create some kind of overpass or other crossing?

Te freeways are the barriers in this virtual map. So think of the places where it's impossible to get across (infamous California freeways) and the places where there is no freeway is an underpass or a way across for your real estate project to expand.
Sergeant TroyMcClure

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box