Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Sea-Tac Int'l Airport

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What color for map background?

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] - Sea-Tac Int'l Airport

Postby KoolfuZ on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm

The Story:
It's an airport. Whoo.

The Stats:
48 territories
9 continents, plus scattered bonuses

The Size:
Large: 600h x 800w
Small: 560h x 630w
---

Ninth Draft:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Other background colors available (fugly ones too, I don't discriminate):
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image

Eighth Draft:
Seventh Draft
Sixth Draft
Fifth Draft
Fourth Draft
Third Draft
Second Draft

---

Original post:

Hey all, first post :).

Love this game, but what I like most are the custom maps. Some of these in development are really impressive. Now, my own Photoshop skills are not quite up to par, but I had some ideas and wanted to try one. So, here it is:

It seems someone made a bad bomb joke while going through security and, well, long story short, the airport is now a warzone.

I thought an airport would be fun to play with. The terminals/concourses make continents simple, and security checkpoints are natural one-way barriers. There is also an upper/lower level duality to most airports which could be interesting, but my meager Photoshop skills are no match for a 3D map. I chose Sea-Tac for its unique layout and the one-way shuttles. (Also because anything involving Seattle is just naturally better.) LAX was interesting, too, but that map would be huge.

So, any interest in this map?

Gameplay notes:
-48 countries, 9 continents. More countries could be easily made, but will increase clutter.
-Very tight borders, lots of places to hide. The satellites have one border each, but since there's two, acquiring one does not equal instant win. Would probably be best for 2v2 or 3v3 for this reason, where one team builds up in the north and the other in the south, culminating in a big rumble in the middle.
-I didn't even put in all the coffee shops. I'm planning to include bonuses for holding N number of shops, but there is some combinatorics involved, so I will deal with it when the number of coffee shops is finalized.

Graphical notes:
-I wanted to keep this one simple and clean, like the maps they have at the official airport site, e.g. http://www.portseattle.org/about/maps/main.shtml. I stole their color scheme, the compass rose and some of the icons. (I don't know if there are copyright issues here?) I'm going for the "pamphlet" look.
-It's kind of cramped, and the small version will be even more so. I had a larger version, oriented with North=up, but it's over 1400 px tall...
-Some of the continent borders might be crooked. Some of the country borders are definitely crooked; I will fix those later.
-The security checkpoint rule is confusing. Better way to phrase it? I want to put a red-black line on that border, but haven't figured out how yet.
-I want to make the tram lines more circular, but haven't quite mastered the curved line.
-Is it clear which countries can attack which?
-Fonts ok?
Last edited by KoolfuZ on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

interesting, i like it.
Captain mibi

Postby vakEirn79 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:59 pm

I love the concept. Not sure how gameplay is going to flow with so many 1-way paths, but I'd certainly like to see this go into development and have the gameplay issues worked out along the way.

Nice coincidence too. I'll be passing through a few airports in a couple of weeks, one of which is likely to be Seattle-Tacoma.
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:10 pm

I'll go ahead and say it: this concept looks awesome. It's a little uncertain how it'll play from just look, but with that many one-way borders it's sure to distinguish itself gameplay-wise.

You might want to try to distinguish the one-way borders from the two-way borders in some way additional to the arrows, like making the gaps between those territories grey instead of white. It is a bit confusing to look at right now.

And are there seriously two Starbuckses that close each other?
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby wicked on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:14 pm

Love it!! Great first post! I l love all the coffee shops.... you should get a negative for holding both a Starbucks and a Tully's at the same time. :lol:
Major wicked

Postby johloh on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:23 pm

sorry, this just reminded me of vancouver...

interesting start though...
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby Guiscard on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Really good first post. I like the graphical style but it is, perhaps, a little Spartan at the moment. Will watch this one carefully :D
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby wicked on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:28 pm

johloh, 2+ Starbucks on every corner is commonplace in WA. :wink:
Major wicked

Postby pancakemix on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:39 pm

You can't call it sea-tac. It has to be something like "Conquer Club Airport."
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Serbia on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Real good idea! Keep working on it!
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby KoolfuZ on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Here's the second draft:

-Added names
-Cleaned up borders
-Added impassable border (I hope it's evident that's what it is)
-Changed name :(
-Added/changed some decor

To do:
-Coffee bonuses
-Redo the transit lines
-Enlarge the one-way arrows
-Small version :-k

How does it look? Suggestions? Does it need more countries?

pancakemix wrote:You can't call it sea-tac. It has to be something like "Conquer Club Airport."

That's what I was afraid of. I need a clarification on what is and isn't allowed. Is it even okay to use this map?

Evil DIMwit wrote:I'll go ahead and say it: this concept looks awesome. It's a little uncertain how it'll play from just look, but with that many one-way borders it's sure to distinguish itself gameplay-wise.

:) That's what I was going for... the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's best for two teams. All the narrow corridors force you to really plan and coordinate maneuvers and reinforcements with your teammates.
Last edited by KoolfuZ on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Hmm... before it seemed like there was free passage between Alaska and Duty Free and between Delta and Children's Play Area.

And is that "No Liquids" next to "No Snakes?" I feel that one could be clearer.

Also, you should bring back the security explanation from the first one. Otherwise people might get frustrated looking for tickets during gameplay.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby KoolfuZ on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:And is that "No Liquids" next to "No Snakes?" I feel that one could be clearer.

Yeah, supposed to be a water droplet. I'll be redoing that. Probably that entire box as well.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Also, you should bring back the security explanation from the first one. Otherwise people might get frustrated looking for tickets during gameplay.

:P Noted.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby unriggable on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:57 pm

Remember to include a leafblower in the 'items you can't bring' bin, I saw a sign with one on it.
Cook unriggable

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:58 pm

pancakemix wrote:You can't call it sea-tac. It has to be something like "Conquer Club Airport."

why not? It is Sea-Tac, it should be called Sea-Tac
Captain mibi

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:59 pm

that is a very good map. its very playable and has good grafics. nice job!
Corporal 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby pancakemix on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:00 pm

I'm pretty sure that name is copyrighted.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby KoolfuZ on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:29 pm

unriggable wrote:Remember to include a leafblower in the 'items you can't bring' bin, I saw a sign with one on it.

Awesome. :D
Major KoolfuZ

Postby wicked on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:29 pm

pancakemix wrote:I'm pretty sure that name is copyrighted.

Maybe for other airports, but for a Non-Hasbro World Domination game? I can't wait to see it put into play... it'll certainly help me find my way around the airport!!! lol

ooh, how about CC-TAC Int'l? hahahahhahaha
Major wicked

Postby mibi on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm

pancakemix wrote:I'm pretty sure that name is copyrighted.

:roll:

gimme a break
Captain mibi

Postby Backglass on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:19 am

Seatac is short for Seattle-Tacoma for those of you non-americans. It is also A CITY UNTO ITSELF with a government and HUGE population of 25,000 so you don't have to worry about copyrights. :lol:

Speaking of the NW...whatever happened to the Seattle city map? I thought that was a great idea.
Last edited by Backglass on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby wicked on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:31 am

No one wanted to do it apparently. :cry: I'd love to, but don't have the time or resources.
Major wicked

Postby KoolfuZ on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:22 pm

Third draft:

-Changed layout
-Made transit lines curvy
-Enlarged one-way arrows
-Added expository text
-Added coffee stand bonuses (29 different continents just for Starbucks!)
-Added 2x Starbucks, 1x Seattle's Best. Removed Tully's (sorry Tully's!)

Suggestions?

Okay, about the name... even though (and I'm just talking out of my ass here) it's not likely there will be any problem, it's not my butt on the line. It's Lackattack's and CC's, so they get the final word. So until I get a definitive answer on this from someone in authority I'll leave it unnamed. "Sea-Tac" would be best, but if it's a no go I'm not going to argue (and will probably go with CC-Tac :lol:).
Last edited by KoolfuZ on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major KoolfuZ

Postby vakEirn79 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:41 pm

How does one control a coffee shop?

Do the icons (airplane, restaurant, coffee shop, bus, etc) serve any purpose? Are they going to be the army circles? Are they territories?

The map is very busy. It's pretty hard to tell exactly how many of each coffee shop there is. Maybe you could use differently coloured icons for the two?
Corporal vakEirn79

Postby KoolfuZ on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:03 am

vakEirn79 wrote:How does one control a coffee shop?

With a bullhorn and a blowtorch :twisted:

vakEirn79 wrote:Do the icons (airplane, restaurant, coffee shop, bus, etc) serve any purpose? Are they going to be the army circles? Are they territories?

The black ones are army circles; the coffee ones double as both army circles and territories. I'm working up some new coffee circles to clean up the map a bit, maybe it will be clearer with the armies included.
Major KoolfuZ

Next

Return to Recycling Box