Conquer Club

[Abandoned] -The Chako/K'zari War

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Chako/K'zari War V.8 Pg.7 Updated 10/12/13

Postby Seamus76 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:13 pm

DearCyrus wrote:Here is the update... Sorry for the delay!

Changes:
also,
What do you think if instead of +3 for 2 cities, I make it a multiplier type bonus for each City held? That way the more Cities you take over the faster your bonus would grow...
I like the new look. Nice work to keep evolving as you go.

I think +3 for 2 cities is way too much. TKoC uses +1 which is just enough. Going with a multiplier is a cool idea, but if you don't go that route I would suggest lowering to +1.

- The text for Sea Route 2 needs to be moved down a bit.
- Sorry if I missed it, but is there any significance to the Villages?
- I'd love to see more actual icons, for things rather than just shapes. i.e. The ship being a ship, and the laser being a cool image, etc.
- Bottom right box. Does that have significance other than just iconic? If not, I might suggest using that space for a quote, or small storyline, etc. Something to tie it all together.

Anyway, keep up the great work.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Re: The Chako/K'zari War V.9 Pg.7 Updated 10/15/13

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Update time!I am re introducing the Human/Old Style map. I plan on using my small map to represent the human view and the large to represent the K'Zari's. I will still need to move some names and probably move the text around a bit, But this is my starting point.

Notice:Anything that would have been added after an alien crash (Ship, lazers, teleports and warnings) has been written onto an existing map. This is the cause for multiple fonts. I drew a K'Zari in the bottom right corner so the Humans can easily identify them. They will also have 1 non attack-able unit at that location, so we can see what color their units are.

All game play, territory names and locations will be the same, so play between the Small and Large maps will be exactly the same, just with a different look.

I also updated the Large map. I have removed the copper bars around the Text boxes as I feel a beveled edge is good enough. Changed the overlay to be less contrasting with the oceans.
Need to swap Teleports 3 & 5 to put them in clockwise order as on the small map...

Please let me know what you think of the maps together or on their own...
Corporal 1st Class DearCyrus

Re: The Chako/K'zari War V.8 Pg.7 Updated 10/12/13

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Seamus76 wrote:I like the new look. Nice work to keep evolving as you go.
Thanks!

I think +3 for 2 cities is way too much. TKoC uses +1 which is just enough. Going with a multiplier is a cool idea, but if you don't go that route I would suggest lowering to +1.

The difference here is that TKoC also has Kingdom bonuses, This map would not. The emphasis will be on holding the resources of the cities , and keeping them away from the K'Zari.
I can always lower it to 1 and change it back if that is not enough.

- The text for Sea Route 2 needs to be moved down a bit.

Will do
- Sorry if I missed it, but is there any significance to the Villages?

At the moment no, mostly just to differentiate them from the Cities. But that could change!
- I'd love to see more actual icons, for things rather than just shapes. i.e. The ship being a ship, and the laser being a cool image, etc.

I have tried a few things but ultimately they all looked like trash. If there are any artists who wanna help out... lol
- Bottom right box. Does that have significance other than just iconic? If not, I might suggest using that space for a quote, or small storyline, etc. Something to tie it all together.

That space is used to tell everyone which player is the K'Zari. Only the player holding that space will be able to activate the Lazers to bombard all territs. They must hold that spot and 3 cities to bombard.

Anyway, keep up the great work.

Thanks again, means a lot from you. I love your maps. Can't wait to play on Alaska!

Re: The Chako/K'zari War V.10 Pg.7 Updated 10/20/13

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Cyrus, from what I can see, the new large map is getting better and better. I am starting to really like the shapes and attack lines on this. Clean, simple but really fresh. The texture on the map is fantastic. Will get to you later when you move but be patient.

The border, now that you have one, it looks like a graphic. Not really alien like at all but it does remind me of skin.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:02 am

koontz1973 wrote:Cyrus, from what I can see, the new large map is getting better and better. I am starting to really like the shapes and attack lines on this. Clean, simple but really fresh. The texture on the map is fantastic. Will get to you later when you move but be patient.

Patience is my middle name! ;)

The border, now that you have one, it looks like a graphic. Not really alien like at all but it does remind me of skin.

Yes. I did want it to look organic.

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:15 am

DearCyrus wrote:Yes. I did want it to look organic.

Try to find a lizard skin or leather then. Give is a slimy look. Make me want to fear these aliens. Scare me. :twisted:
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:10 am

koontz1973 wrote:Try to find a lizard skin or leather then. Give is a slimy look. Make me want to fear these aliens. Scare me. :twisted:

I will see What I can do... ;)

Postby greenoaks on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:13 am

The way you've indicated the towns is wrong. It looks alien.

Well done =D> =D>
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks! ;)

Postby Armandolas on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

i would really prefer that u would give the map a very techy look.
You have allready a good bunch of "old" map style
That way you could provide something different from most of the other maps.
I can only rememeber AYB having that style, so your map will "more unique if u go that direction
Ex..i liked someones ideas that u could see the map from the spaceship window
Colonel Armandolas

Postby DearCyrus on Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Here is where I am on that subject... I could probably pull off a more tech-like look as my graphic skills are slowly improving. That being said, I wouldn't want to do that in the amount of space allotted to me as that would likely cause more crowding then my map already has. I am willing to try to mock up a super-sized version and see if that is something people would be interested in.

The situation being looked at from a spaceship window does not fit in with my story however, as there is only one crashed scout ship. It would more fittingly be a computer console on the ship.

That being said, Unless someone has a good (logical and defend-able) reason why I should not, I fully intend to push this map forward with two style maps, one for the large and one for the small. This is a story about a war between 2 different species each with their own take on the world. My current small map still has quite a bit of fleshing out to catch up with Its large counterpart, but I like what I have going on. It fits my theme and shows the conflict from another angle.

Postby generalhead on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 pm

You could have the console look out of being out of the crashed k'zari ship.
It sound like a lot of people posting want this map to come alive a little more.
Showing more alien features, and/or bringing to life the war between the humans and an alien race.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby Armandolas on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:04 pm

DearCyrus wrote:The situation being looked at from a spaceship window does not fit in with my story however, as there is only one crashed scout ship. It would more fittingly be a computer console on the ship.
generalhead wrote:You could have the console look out of being out of the crashed k'zari ship.

this is what i meant ;)
Colonel Armandolas

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:18 am

Armandolas wrote:
DearCyrus wrote:The situation being looked at from a spaceship window does not fit in with my story however, as there is only one crashed scout ship. It would more fittingly be a computer console on the ship.
generalhead wrote:You could have the console look out of being out of the crashed k'zari ship.

this is what i meant ;)

This may be an idea to follow. I am sort of getting the idea of an overhead display from the map, so it might be an idea to look at Research and Conquer in the main foundry and 1982 in play for a way to do a console look. Both are pretty old looking but you could easily give it a more alien/modern look to it.

EDIT: Above is an idea and as the map maker, you need to make the decision on how to proceed.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:06 pm

koontz1973 wrote:
Armandolas wrote:

this is what i meant ;)

This may be an idea to follow. I am sort of getting the idea of an overhead display from the map, so it might be an idea to look at Research and Conquer in the main foundry and 1982 in play for a way to do a console look. Both are pretty old looking but you could easily give it a more alien/modern look to it.

Ok all, Here is my first official Super-Size test for the large map... I think it fills the desires of everyone! If this gets some support I will follow up with Isaiah for approval.

I don't know why it looks so grainy... It is super crisp in PS. Anyone know why that may have happened?
Click image to enlarge.
[/url]

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:09 pm

I cannot read any of the text. Dark blue has to go ASAP. Also too much wasted space. The play area should be the biggest, with everything else built in.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Bruceswar wrote:I cannot read any of the text. Dark blue has to go ASAP. Also too much wasted space. The play area should be the biggest, with everything else built in.

I have already fixed the text for my next update. It will be roughly this color. I will assess the size-use situation, although at this point I do not feel the space is wasted. It is doing the job of displaying my theme more thoroughly, which has been the communities primary concern. This is my first test at this size and things will likely change.

Thanks for the input!

Re: The Chako/K'zari War V.11 (Super-Size)Pg.8 Updated 10/27

Postby Armandolas on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:18 pm

i just have to say: with "this little detail the map looks now 1213423 times better and it is much more appealing.
love the frame..simple and effective. they way you "printed" your name too.The red and blue effects in console looks really nice.Legend places also look great.
I dont like the shade on the right and bottom of the map
Bruce have a point though and you should follow his suggestion, even if its only a bit.You can nudge things a bit to the left

ps: please remove the link to photobucket from your bigimg
Colonel Armandolas

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Armandolas wrote:i just have to say: with "this little detail the map looks now 1213423 times better and it is much more appealing.
love the frame..simple and effective. they way you "printed" your name too.The red and blue effects in console looks really nice.Legend places also look great.
I dont like the shade on the right and bottom of the map
Bruce have a point though and you should follow his suggestion, even if its only a bit.You can nudge things a bit to the left

Lol. I am already looking into it, I figure I can shave about 100 px. off of the width and 50 or so of height.

ps: please remove the link to photobucket from your bigimg

I don't know how! :shock:

Postby JamesKer1 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:42 pm

This looks amazing. Nicely done mate :) can't wait to see the cleaned up version!
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby generalhead on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree with his tlooking much better and every thing needs to be worked as far as spacing. The new legends look awesome. I like the blue for the lettering. Instead of changing the color you could due a white drop shadow or something to that effect, but do what you feels right.
Sergeant generalhead

Postby DearCyrus on Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words, comments, and suggestions...
Without further ado, I bring You... My next update!
show

Cut 100 px. of width and 50 of height. Changed text to green and added a slight drop shadow for definition. Added a plate for my name stamp.

And I put together a Super-size small version. I added 50 px. of width to move the text over slightly to lessen the cramped feel.
show

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:54 am

First of cyrus, the small map, forget about it now. You will not need to make that till you get close to the graphics stamp so concentrate on the large map.

Large map. I really like that look but you will need to make it a lot smaller. You have a lot of wasted space, text is huge. Get that down to the 840/800 pixel size and we should get you moved on pretty soon then.

You will need to make the map slightly smaller.
Border can go to 2 or 3 pixels top and bottom.
Bottom right legend to the left side.
Squeeze all you have into the correct size and you will be onto a winner. Believe me when I say it will fit and look nice. Just scale things down and move them to fit.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby greenoaks on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:34 am

what do the inhabitants drink?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DearCyrus on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:34 am

greenoaks wrote:what do the inhabitants drink?

The planet has freshwater seas... Why do you ask? ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box