Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - New York State

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is this a good idea? (dont judge graphics or current continents....only by the idea of New York)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] - New York State

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:41 am

N19?
N18?
N17?
N16?

NUMBER 15?:

off vacation!! 8)
Last edited by Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:48 am

To with you have to many counrties that are to small to work with. Increase the map size so its closer to each end on the picture. Afer that you might need to tweek boarders to make them workable.

Also put in terr names and army circles yo help you work with through this part.

I can see that this map will also need inpassable boarders. try to include any rivers ect that are in teh city/state ?which is it)

Ill give a more detailed over look once these things are done.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:05 pm

gimil wrote:Also put in terr names and army circles yo help you work with through this part.

I can see that this map will also need inpassable boarders. try to include any rivers ect that are in teh city/state ?which is it)

im gonna put these things in, i just didnt want to until i got more feedback.

I will make the map bigger.

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:31 pm

you should always put them in. you wont get feedback if there isnt anything to your map.

Put them in and a better flow of feedback will eventually follow

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:32 pm

You should add in dead land around it (brownish or grayish no man's land as in Middle East, Indochina, Benelux, Canada, etc.)
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:44 pm

pepperonibread wrote:You should add in dead land around it (brownish or grayish no man's land as in Middle East, Indochina, Benelux, Canada, etc.)

yean definetly do that as well

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Coleman on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:24 pm

gimil wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:You should add in dead land around it (brownish or grayish no man's land as in Middle East, Indochina, Benelux, Canada, etc.)

yeah definitely do that as well

I disagree, I like the standalone effect with the expressive background.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:02 pm

small update

I didnt change the bg, because i didnt think that it was so important at this stage.

Postby gimil on Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:04 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Image

small update

I didnt change the bg, because i didnt think that it was so important at this stage.

to give you more terr room thin out the boarders.

contient boarders no more than 3px

territory boarders no more than 2px

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:36 pm

Kaplowitz...i like the idea but have a couple of challenges for you....
* Is not Manhattan an island with water on all sides? If so you should show it as an island.
* is it possible to have the continents in another configuration that is no so vertically challenged.
* what is that shadow object off the side of Sullivan, Orange and Rockland counties?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:44 pm

cairnswk wrote:Kaplowitz...i like the idea but have a couple of challenges for you....
* Is not Manhattan an island with water on all sides? If so you should show it as an island.
* is it possible to have the continents in another configuration that is no so vertically challenged.
* what is that shadow object off the side of Sullivan, Orange and Rockland counties?

1- thats just a dark border. I will fix that.

2- Yea, ill play around with them

3-thats a terrible picture of the Niagara Falls.....

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:48 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Kaplowitz...i like the idea but have a couple of challenges for you....

1- thats just a dark border. I will fix that.

2- Yea, ill play around with them

3-thats a terrible picture of the Niagara Falls.....

OK...good luck with this map?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby BelJoDoe on Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:38 pm

At this stage, I think you're looking for approval of the idea being good, so that you know whether or not there's sufficient interest in the idea to warrant you spending a large amount of time adding graphics and expanding the idea. With that in mind, personally I think a map based in New York would have merit and interest from the community. The fact that no one has said anything to the contrary seems to reinforce that assumption.

What I would note though is that the map might benefit from being made more 'fun'. By this I mean, perhaps altering the theme a little...? Have you ever seen Gangs of New York for instance or Escape from New York?
Also, I'd suggest adding more border blockers... having so many open borders just creates a major headache for players and becomes much more about simple dice-rolling luck rather than about skill and map-knowledge, in knowing where to defend. I think if you were to incorporate some kind of additional theme such as the two I suggested above or something similar, you'd be able to think of new potential border blockades and the like, making the map more fun.
... just a suggestion.
Captain BelJoDoe

Postby edbeard on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:15 pm

as much as doing actual counties sounds like a good idea, I don't think it will work here.

I'm a huge fan of 42 territories. It works on Classic and Europe. 2 of the more popular maps. Obviously there are more factors than just the number of territories, but I don't think this is a coincidence. This will help you with the current spacing issue you currently have. Too many tiny territories doesn't work on many fronts. Hopefully you can do this in a way so that territory names can be placed onto the map itself and not off to the side like you currently have for a few places.

I think someone said something about the zoom, and you might have already said you are doing this. I totally agree. If you can get in closer it will help a lot.

I'm not sure if the impassable borders are natural or not. I hope they are actually part of NY because that just adds to the appeal of the map.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Qwert on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:16 pm

These will not work,
First you have so many terittory who take only 40-45%of map and rest is empty space.
Second yours terittory is very small and names and circle is inposible to put in terittory and mess with others terittory.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby fireedud on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:25 pm

1. Manhattan is an island but is so small, and the waterways surrounding it so narrow, make it seem part of mainland New York.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby d.gishman on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:35 pm

My eyes... the colours are too bold, the borders are definitely terribly jagged, the font is pixely, and the background is bad... the original map you based it off of is nice, with clean graphics, but if you want so many territories, you're going to make the individual territories clearer (like world 2.1) or make the map bigger. Once you put in all the territory names, it's going to be incredibly crowded. I always thought there should be a new york map, so I think the idea has potential.
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Changes:

continent changes
took out 4 places.

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:00 pm

number 4-
added impassable borders.

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:12 pm

I know that the key looks bad, but i didnt change it because i didnt have the time, and i wanted you to know what the bonuses are. I also realize that it is crowded, but i think that it is a huge improvement.

Changes:
Bonuses
added county names
added army circles

Postby cena-rules on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 pm

im loving this map.
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby gimil on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Ive got a number of concerns. But ill wait till the morning to post them. But regardless your pushing on and its coming on slowly ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gold Knight on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:34 pm

I even think 2 might be too much for Long Island. It has one point of attack and only 3 territories, making it even easier to hold than austrailia on the classic map.
xxtig12683xx wrote:yea, my fav part was being in the sewer riding a surfboard and wacking these alien creatures.

shit was badass
Captain Gold Knight

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:03 am

As promised here is my concerns.

1. Lose the bevel used it. It looks horrible

2. The title has some gaps in the color

3. The font isn't bad, but i think something softer adn more rounded would fit with the theme your going for.

4. the background doesn't fit I feel. It rather boarding and doesn't fit right.

5. Put images back in the background like you did a few drafts back

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:09 am

gimil wrote:As promised here is my concerns.

1. Lose the bevel used it. It looks horrible

Not really sure how to do that other than by redoing that layer, which will take forever and might look strange. I can do it though, so if there are more complaints about it i will. I just dont think that it is the most important/wanted thing.

gimil wrote:2. The title has some gaps in the color

woops, yea ill fix that. :shock:

gimil wrote:3. The font isn't bad, but i think something softer adn more rounded would fit with the theme your going for.

ill play around with that.

gimil wrote:4. the background doesn't fit I feel. It rather boarding and doesn't fit right.

ill change that also.

gimil wrote:5. Put images back in the background like you did a few drafts back

ok.

Gold Knight wrote:I even think 2 might be too much for Long Island. It has one point of attack and only 3 territories, making it even easier to hold than austrailia on the classic map.

Ill make it 1.

BelJoDoe wrote:What I would note though is that the map might benefit from being made more 'fun'. By this I mean, perhaps altering the theme a little...? Have you ever seen Gangs of New York for instance or Escape from New York?

I cant do Gangs os New York because there arent really gangs in all of Ny, thats just a city thing. But, if i do think of something like that, i will try to add it in.

Next

Return to Recycling Box