Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - New York State

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is this a good idea? (dont judge graphics or current continents....only by the idea of New York)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

Total votes : 0

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:38 pm

i know N.Y. very good and this is not a good map of it. i think you need to look at a real map of New York.

here is what you realy need to do:

take out all Mountains and put in the real Appalachian Mountain chain.

take out the river, because there is no river in New York but the Ohio R. at the very bottom coming in from P.A. and flows back out into P.A. .

like i said do some research or atleast look at a map..
Private Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby unriggable on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Cook unriggable

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:34 pm

Unit_2 wrote:i know N.Y. very good and this is not a good map of it. i think you need to look at a real map of New York.

here is what you realy need to do:

take out all Mountains and put in the real Appalachian Mountain chain.

take out the river, because there is no river in New York but the Ohio R. at the very bottom coming in from P.A. and flows back out into P.A. .

like i said do some research or atleast look at a map..

The mountains are the general location of the Appalachian Moutains, and i put them there for good gameplay.

What do you mean that there are no rivers in New york? The one on the right is the Hudson River. That is a huge river! The one on the left is a combination of rivers and the finger lakes put there to improve gameplay.

Yea, i did look at a map. Its on the first page, and the map is based on counties.

unriggable wrote:pic

...um ok... :? [/quote]
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby jonhblaze on Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:11 pm

you may want to include the finger lakes. also north should be called the adirondacks. and perhaps ontario should be called the snow belt. I am from NY and would love to play this map
Corporal 1st Class jonhblaze

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:07 am

I ONLY EDITED THE BACKGROUND. OTHER CHANGES WILL COME LATER.

Alright, there are a couple of different bg choices (and i can make others if this style is unwanted).

black and white pictures:

bluish:

very faded:

very dark:

very light:

so tell me what you think is the best bg, or if there should be a different style of background.

Postby gimil on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:29 am

I like how its layed out, i dont like the funny dots you have over it. and i think there needs to be a wider choice of colors. Also move the title so its not cover th statue of liberty's face.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:52 am

What's the deal with this mordor area in new york?!
Cook unriggable

Postby jako on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:07 pm

unriggable wrote:What's the deal with this mordor area in new york?!

true, very weird and not very good for gameplay imo

adn long island doesnt deserve a +2 for only 3 terrs and 1 entry point, unless u make long island touch central bonus

and i think the very light works best for this map, but the title should be moved, its covering the statue of liberty's face which makes it less eye appealing.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Black & White

Postby Keredrex on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Black & White Photos... The Map Pops Out better ... HOWEVER

A Few Suggestions ... Form A Fellow New Yorkerā€¦
I would reorganize the Pis A Bit... Fix the Covered Statues Face.... Maybe Switch And put the Mountains On Top With The Title...
Also .... You don't neeed all that space for the Legend .... Tighten them up and put Them On the Bottom Left.. That should give you more space in the Center for the Statue

AS For the Map... I think it needs to be Cleaner... Desaturate the Colors A Bit and I really don't think you need that Embossed effect at all .... All it does is give you that harsh white highlite at the top and Dark Shadow on the Right and Bottom... it would be nicer to See the Map Boundaries Better...
THE MOUNTAINSā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦I really Don't Like the Way they Look.. they are TOOO Organized... Those Mountains Dont Go In A Straight Line and It doesnt cut off that """MORDOR LIKE""" Area...
you could just make it a combination of mounains and Forest for Impassable borders... Maybe even Lakes, Rivers, Etc. There are plenty of lakes up there....

The mountains may look better if you made Each of them Smaller that way you could scatter them up a bit or even mix them with Small and Large ones

ALSO... It should be NYC Not Long Island for yellow territory... Long Island is a part of NYC not the other way....

Maybe add Ranged Attacks... Otherwise Keep going lots of potential
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Re: Black & White

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Keredrex wrote:Black & White Photos... The Map Pops Out better ... HOWEVER

1 vote for choice 1.

Keredrex wrote:A Few Suggestions ... Form A Fellow New Yorker…
I would reorganize the Pis A Bit... Fix the Covered Statues Face.... Maybe Switch And put the Mountains On Top With The Title...
Also .... You don't neeed all that space for the Legend .... Tighten them up and put Them On the Bottom Left.. That should give you more space in the Center for the Statue

Makes sence, will do.
Keredrex wrote:AS For the Map... I think it needs to be Cleaner... Desaturate the Colors A Bit and I really don't think you need that Embossed effect at all .... All it does is give you that harsh white highlite at the top and Dark Shadow on the Right and Bottom... it would be nicer to See the Map Boundaries Better...
THE MOUNTAINS………………I really Don't Like the Way they Look.. they are TOOO Organized... Those Mountains Dont Go In A Straight Line and It doesnt cut off that """MORDOR LIKE""" Area...
you could just make it a combination of mounains and Forest for Impassable borders... Maybe even Lakes, Rivers, Etc. There are plenty of lakes up there....

The mountains may look better if you made Each of them Smaller that way you could scatter them up a bit or even mix them with Small and Large ones

I will work on these things.

Keredrex wrote:ALSO... It should be NYC Not Long Island for yellow territory... Long Island is a part of NYC not the other way....

:? NYC is attatched to Long Island. The whole thing is called Long Island (im pretty sure, i live there ;-) )

Keredrex wrote:Maybe add Ranged Attacks... Otherwise Keep going lots of potential

I might put these in....

Postby Keredrex on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 pm

Kaplowitz wrote::? NYC is attatched to Long Island. The whole thing is called Long Island (im pretty sure, i live there ;-) )

Actually it is not....NYC encompasses the 5 boros... 2 (Queens & Brooklyn ) are attached to Long Island...Then you have Staten Island...Manhattan Island... And The Bronx -( born & Raised 30 yrs ) - Which is attached to The Mainland Continent .... So technically Most of NYC is not attached to LI.... You could put ...... SOUTH...Since you already have North as an territory... that would work perfectly

check this link even they separate that area: http://www.visitnewyorkstate.net/regions/

I am glad you agreed with some of my other suggestions...and definitely want an awesome NY map..and this is lookin good So keep going... and My I suggest ... having a few more pics of representing NY ...Like Niagara Falls or the Unisphere in Queens... Maybe the lighthouses in montauk point..

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:05 am

Keredrex wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote::? NYC is attatched to Long Island. The whole thing is called Long Island (im pretty sure, i live there ;-) )

Actually it is not....NYC encompasses the 5 boros... 2 (Queens & Brooklyn ) are attached to Long Island...Then you have Staten Island...Manhattan Island... And The Bronx -( born & Raised 30 yrs ) - Which is attached to The Mainland Continent .... So technically Most of NYC is not attached to LI.... You could put ...... SOUTH...Since you already have North as an territory... that would work perfectly

South would work fine.

Keredrex wrote:and My I suggest ... having a few more pics of representing NY ...Like Niagara Falls or the Unisphere in Queens... Maybe the lighthouses in montauk point..

I was gonna put more pictures in anyway.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:15 pm

Edited the bg, the key, and the mts. I will work on the font and the effect later.

The colors can still be changed easily.

NUMBER 7:

Postby d.gishman on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 pm

i think this issue should be addressed
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:33 pm

d.gishman wrote:

I dont really understand what you mean. :( What do you want me to fix?

Postby Keredrex on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:49 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
d.gishman wrote:

That area encircled by mountains doesn't really exist that way...you don't have to get there by going around those moutains (which look better but should be a bit smaller and Greener...there not the rockies)... and why do you need to block that area....
check this link : http://www.visitnewyorkstate.net/regions/
I wonder if the break up on that image would work better

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:55 pm

Keredrex wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:
d.gishman wrote:

That area encircled by mountains doesn't really exist that way...you don't have to get there by going around those moutains (which look better but should be a bit smaller and Greener...there not the rockies)... and why do you need to block that area....
check this link : http://www.visitnewyorkstate.net/regions/
I wonder if the break up on that image would work better

Ik that the mts are not reallly that way, i just thought that it would improve gameplay. As for the image, i think that there are too many continents, which are too hard to defend. Could someone give me an example of a bette way to put the mountains for good gameplay, and as close to reality as possible?. Just a quick sketch or explaination.

ps. i will change the colors also. ;-)

Postby d.gishman on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:33 pm

I personally think there are too many territories/territories are too small. Looking at the map Keredrex posted, the counties on that map seem to be a better size

Postby Keredrex on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:42 am

Kaplowitz wrote:Ik that the mts are not reallly that way, i just thought that it would improve gameplay. As for the image, i think that there are too many continents, which are too hard to defend. Could someone give me an example of a bette way to put the mountains for good gameplay, and as close to reality as possible?. Just a quick sketch or explaination.

ps. i will change the colors also. ;-)

For the mountains.. Remove the mountains Directly between Saratoga & Fulton...and also Between Herkimer and Oneida (basically show some sort of "path through the mountains") .... That way you don't mess with the amount of defending Border territories.....maybe even add a one way from Fulton to ostego...

maybe for Look add some small mountains coming off the large ones between Oneida and Madison .. and between Ostego and Schoharie ( again only enough to still have a path between these areas)

Postby edbeard on Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:48 am

d.gishman wrote:I personally think there are too many territories/territories are too small. Looking at the map Keredrex posted, the counties on that map seem to be a better size

I'd say abandon the county idea altogether, but use the regions from that map as the continents. seems like a much more interesting map from gameplay pov
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:12 am

NUMBER 8:

I worked on the mts a little based on Keredrex's suggestions

Postby Keredrex on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:58 am

Better u fixed the "MORDOR LIKE" area ... You can add 1 or 2 little mountains to the areas I mentioned before...

See this link check out the elevation map
http://geology.com/state-map/new-york.shtml

You should be able to Make The state feel more Mountainous.... Spread out the little ones and put them around in the areas that have them....Put 1 or 2 small ones between each (But NOT Blocking) Cattaragus - Alleghany - Steuben.. Also Maybe add another Mountain icon that is PASSABLE... and fill in some of the territories with that.. .Most of those areas where you have mountains as a border are nothing but Mountains like Hamilton and about half of essex and Herkimer... also Delaware and about half of greene - Ulster & sullivan

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:05 am

I've been following this maps progress every now and then, and I don't mean to be overly critical, but the quality hasn't really improved over the eight updates. I don't really know where to begin with suggestions, so I'll just add them in no logical order.

Small Map - It's no good, simple as that. Army shadows are too small and there's no room to expand.
Font - Bulky, pixelated and bland.
Background - A montage of images can work well if you get them to blend well together. Unfortunately that's not the case here, everything looks like it has been thrown in as an afterthought.
Mountains - To be honest, I think they look more like trees. It appears that they've all been done in one layer, and there is no distinct edge to any of them... they all just blend into one another.

As much as a pain as it is, I really think you should just go back and start from scratch. Forget the background, title, legend, mountains or any other minor details. Get the basic map image looking nice first and make sure you have something that is going to work as a small map. The only solution I see there, is to lose some territories.

I really don't mean to be rude or harsh about it, but the truth is, if you want this map to go anywhere it needs a major overhaul. 8)
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby d.gishman on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:20 am

Agreed with Keyogi: starting from scratch would be better. Gameplay wise, i would not play this map at all. the map that you based this off of had way too many territories: I like Keredrex's map on the previous page better as a base for the map. And the mordor like area - despite continual complaints, i see that it has stuck. The Appalachians don'tlook like that at all...

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:26 am

d.gishman wrote:Agreed with Keyogi: starting from scratch would be better. Gameplay wise, i would not play this map at all. the map that you based this off of had way too many territories: I like Keredrex's map on the previous page better as a base for the map. And the mordor like area - despite continual complaints, i see that it has stuck. The Appalachians don'tlook like that at all...

ok, ok, i guess ill start overish. But Keredrex's map has more terits than my current has! you said that mine has too many, but you like his! wtf?

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box