Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - New York State

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is this a good idea? (dont judge graphics or current continents....only by the idea of New York)

Poll ended at Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:41 am

Total votes : 0

Yeah...

Postby Keredrex on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:06 pm

You are right it does have a few more territories but It is broken up better and that doesn't mean you Can't have more.... it just means the map needs to look Clean and Easy to read .. (ie. World 2.1- over a 100 territories i believe) ..also you don't necessarily need to have the ARMY CIRCLES on THE territory... there could be a line to mark a small area with the name and army circle off to the side..

I would have to agree with Keyogi ...try using the Links i gave which have good maps of Topography, County Borders, and Roads... See what you could do with all of them incorporated... Try to represent the mountains with the Elevation map... It would be easier to incorporate the names and Army circles without it being TOOMUCH you know?
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Do you think that i should use county names or numbers?
Numbers would fit better, but might be confusing.

btw:i have been working on it, just havent had so much time.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby edbeard on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:30 pm

definitely stay with names.

the less territories thing is about spacing and gameplay. It's never a strict this many territories is too much. It really just depends from map to map.

My problem with your past map was that the areas were way too huge, so they'd almost never be held and this could be easily remedied by less territories. The county thing while a good idea in theory is not something that works well in practice. I've tried. It works for government, but not for conquer club.

Impassables are mainly used for borders between continents and not inside of them. So keep that in mind. Try to use real life rivers and mountains or freeways as impassables. It just works better. And, it gives you a good reason to put them there. And, then try to work your gameplay around them.

The general areas where you have continents are good, but which the huge number of territories they don't work well at the moment.

Good Luck
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby bryguy on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 pm

how do u make a map? i cant figure out how to
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:34 pm

someone should make a star wars map! that would be awesome!
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:36 pm

Im a star wars fanatic
Corporal bryguy

Postby gimil on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:40 am

take your star war fantasy to the ideas thread and stop hijacking another thread
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Keredrex on Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:41 am

edbeard wrote:definitely stay with names.

the less territories thing.....but which the huge number of territories they don't work well at the moment.
Good Luck

I don't agree... this map has a chance with Adjustments of Course... I think the Grouping of the Counties was the problem and Access to them ... You might want to try adding Other nearby states... to make use of the highways that join the two (ie. you can take from NYC to NJ 17 which cuts through NJ and back to New York somewhere around rockland.. Which could be another border... or you could put in JFK which is in Brooklyn and have it connect with Albany or buffalo... This map is not done with keep trying

Postby boogiesadda on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:08 am

are you from NY? if you used our regional boundaries the map may look more playable than the one you have now. pm me and i can help with that.
Is it 2008 yet? Why yes my son and it is time for change
Cadet boogiesadda

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:47 am

the backgrounds ugly as balls
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:54 am

it looks generaly sloppy and I'm not a big fan of the background, if you can tighten up the graphics and fix the background it should be fine
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:58 am

Kaplowitz buddy i think your better striping it right back and starting with the basics.

1. basic layout - with boarders basic continent colors
2. Plain colored background
3. dimple legends
3. Terr names with no effects and a simple font
4. impassable as simple lines

from here we can tackles issues one by one :wink:

what do you say

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:03 am

gimil wrote:Kaplowitz buddy i think your better striping it right back and starting with the basics.

1. basic layout - with boarders basic continent colors
2. Plain colored background
3. dimple legends
3. Terr names with no effects and a simple font
4. impassable as simple lines

from here we can tackles issues one by one :wink:

what do you say

Yea, im working on a simpler image. The only problem is that High School's starting up and i havent that much time.

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:09 am

well were all here to help if you need it ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby unriggable on Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:01 am

Make the background less imposing
Cook unriggable

Postby Keredrex on Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:48 pm

gimil wrote:well were all here to help if you need it ;)

I second this... As a new yorker I will always help

Postby boogiesadda on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:33 pm

and as you can see this is why i dont make maps here :lol:

just some ideas for ya
Cadet boogiesadda

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:35 pm

I really like this setup, because it uses natural resources as continents.
Plus the ports are good because i was trying to think of a way of attacking like that.

Postby boogiesadda on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:28 pm

there is also a port in Oswego which is right where the cny arrow is pointing i just realized west had 2 ports so maybe take one from there and put it in Oswego or just add one to Oswego. Glad to help I would love to play this map. pm me anytime
Cadet boogiesadda

phew....

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:44 pm

Sorry it took so long, just started High School, and Cross Country.

I used the idea above, and im prob gonna put ports in too. Just wanted to make sure that the basic continents were fine. And, the bg will prob change too.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:04 pm

small update.

Postby unriggable on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Borders too pixely. Make them smooth.
Cook unriggable

Postby oaktown on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Hi kaplowitz, please read this post in the spirit of constructive criticism in which it was intended.

Every month somebody wants to do another US state map. And while New York is certainly more interesting than, say, Arkansas (my head is still spinning around that one), I keep coming back to the same questions around state maps...
1. is there any appeal beyond people who live in that state?
2. does it make sense as a geographic region on which a battle may be waged? If this were a battleground and you've got a stack of armies along our front, why wouldn't I just go into Pennsylvania and whack you from behind?

For this idea to work there has to be compelling about it. This map desperately needs to somehow capture something unique about the state of New York. Geographic features? Geo-politcal divisions? Economic targets to go after? Map of cheesey roadside tourist attractions? (Hmm, that could be a fun idea for a midwest map... "Oaktown attacks Giant Ball of String from Paul Bunyon Statue.")

If you want to get this map forged you need to forget about graphics and focus on playability... making it look good can come later, and if you're onto something the heavy hitters at this site will step up to help you out. Ask yourself why you are doing a New York map, and why anybody would want to play it. Right now when I look at it, i see a lot of lines and colors denoting territories that are bunched together for poor game play; that's not going to get you very far no matter how pretty it looks.
Captain oaktown

Postby MasterKujacnbsh on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:48 pm

oaktown wrote:Hi kaplowitz, please read this post in the spirit of constructive criticism in which it was intended.

Every month somebody wants to do another US state map. And while New York is certainly more interesting than, say, Arkansas (my head is still spinning around that one), I keep coming back to the same questions around state maps...
1. is there any appeal beyond people who live in that state?
2. does it make sense as a geographic region on which a battle may be waged? If this were a battleground and you've got a stack of armies along our front, why wouldn't I just go into Pennsylvania and whack you from behind?

While searching for a map of New York (my home state!) i came across this...the graphics were pretty ugly and the gameplay was OK. I noticed taht this hasnt been active for about 2 months so i looked around for Kaplowitz to find that (s)he was banned from the site because of his/her multiple account. I wanted to give it a shot with really different graphics, but w/ similar gameplay that can hopefully be critiqued to perfection.

As to Oaktown's question "why would this be interesting?" i think: why the hell not? I realize that the theme of a map will usually attract many people to play on it, but im sure that the gameplay is also a large deciding. Although the maps with pretty graphics will get a lot of games, the ugly ones still get plenty because they have good gameplay.

As to my map im open to anything that i can do with my editing software.

Should i make a new thread? stay on this one? or just stop all together?

Private MasterKujacnbsh

Location: In a land of magical unicorns and rapists who rip your eyes out and then like eat them and stuff....

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:51 pm

wow, that is good looking 8) i think that you should try it :wink:
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box