Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Ancient Japan

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:16 pm

Unit_2 wrote:We are going to keep the old back-ground as everyone like it better(look in the poll).

this is plain wrong.
the reason a new background was brought in discussion was that the old one was bad. the fact that the new one is worse doesn't mean you have to keep the old one. it means you have to make a better one.

i and some other people made several suggestions regarding the background. why not implement them?

as for the poll, frankly that's just a joke. i mean come on 5 voters?? and "everyone not liking the new one" is represented by just 3 people that voted no??
Do you like the new back-ground?
yes 40% [ 2 ]
no 60% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm

also regarding this thing you said:

Unit_2 wrote:Well, theres not really anything we can use for the Japaneese feeling, theres not that much stuff out there that we can use as a base image for a back-ground or anything.

don't use something found on the internet. maps aren't done like that. create something. if you do it yourself it will always blend better look better fit better.

taking an image found on the net and putting it as a background will in most cases look bad.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:26 pm

DiM wrote:also regarding this thing you said:

Unit_2 wrote:Well, theres not really anything we can use for the Japaneese feeling, theres not that much stuff out there that we can use as a base image for a back-ground or anything.

don't use something found on the internet. maps aren't done like that. create something. if you do it yourself it will always blend better look better fit better.

taking an image found on the net and putting it as a background will in most cases look bad.

i know...but i need something to base it off of, i can't just make a back-ground with nothing but the idea "Japanese"...
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:29 pm

Unit_2 wrote:
DiM wrote:also regarding this thing you said:

i know...but i need something to base it off of, i can't just make a back-ground with nothing but the idea "Japanese"...

yes you can. maps can be created starting from nothing. look at all my maps. just a white canvas and imagination. or look at any other maps in live play
Major DiM

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:29 pm

Good map.

However, the map seems to favor players who start in the North/South since they only have to fight on one front. I suggest making some sort of connection from the southern continent to the northern one.
Sergeant 1st Class Emperor_Metalman

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:51 pm

how about adding ports?
Corporal Unit_2

Postby iancanton on Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:51 pm

u already have the solution on ur map. remove the two shrines from kyushu and put one each on the three seats of power, which i presume are kyoto, osaka and edo. instead of "hold all shrines" to gain the +4 bonus, make it "hold any four shrines". in a four-player game, nine shrines will be enough for each of the two central players to play for the shrine bonuses if they wish.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby t.e.c on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:50 pm

why are there 2 shrines on kyushu and none on shikoku?

oh and it's saitaMa not saitarna. :wink:
Corporal t.e.c

Postby sethcampfall on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:59 pm

I don't like the one bonus. You should make it two and make it so aomori can attack hakodate.
Cook sethcampfall

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:39 pm

make aomori atack obihiru(sp) and make it a bonus of 2. otherwise its good
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Wisse on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:16 pm

the whole map seems to be blurred maybe make it all a bit sharper? (like borders, background, the sword etc.)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Well... I need to wait untill Telvannia comes back and finishes it or I need someone to help me, if someone will help I can get the layered image and its fine wiht Telvannia.
Corporal Unit_2

Postby DiM on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:02 pm

Unit_2 wrote:ok guys.... one more time :roll: Now we have to re-do it because yet again Telvannia is gone and won't send me the PSD file, Elisha J(not sure that how you spell your name). He going to work on it a bit and then i'll post it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

instead of constantly switching map makers you should try learning how to create a map. you would have made 3 maps so far :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Major DiM

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:16 pm

ok guys, now telvannia sent me the file so now Elijah S is going to help me finish it, all of your input will be added so just give us a bit and i'll see what he can do.
Corporal Unit_2

Postby oaktown on Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Unit_2 wrote:ok guys, now telvannia sent me the file so now Elijah S is going to help me finish it, all of your input will be added so just give us a bit and i'll see what he can do.

In my opinion the first priority should be play clarity - what's what, what can attack what, water attack routes that don't look like your borders, etc. I would find this map very frustrating to play.
Captain oaktown

Re: Ancient Japan[I](need comments p1)

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:46 pm

so......is Elijah making any progress?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:00 pm

I need to send him the file as soon as i can find it....
Corporal Unit_2

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:10 pm

#-o its been weeks!

Postby Unit_2 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Your a pain in my butt #-o :!: I switched computers about 3 times so its somewhere in them, its been kinda hard to find them, i'm trying as hard as i can tonight so hopefully I can find it.
Corporal Unit_2

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Your a pain in my butt #-o :!: I switched computers about 3 times so its somewhere in them, its been kinda hard to find them, i'm trying as hard as i can tonight so hopefully I can find it.

:D :lol: dont forget your flashlight!

Postby Unit_2 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Ok guys, please post all your comments so I can get working on this again, nothing on graphics JUST gameplay.
Corporal Unit_2

Postby gimil on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:53 pm

Do you like the new back-ground?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:01 pm

yes
40%

no
60%

Total votes : 5
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 pm

my immediate concern remains the placement of army counts and territory names. At first glance i saw the temple next to Tottori and thought that they went together, only to then figure out that the temple goes with Shimane, way over to the left. The Shimane title and count should be moved up, so that 1) the count doesn't bump into Hiroshima, and 2) the title spans more of the territory.

Another bad one is Kyoto and Hyogo - which "88" goes with what? And is there a border under the 88 to the left of Kyoto? Because a number or title should never obscure a border.

Then do this: try putting three digit army counts on every circle. I bet a lot of your army counts run into borders or other titles.

At this point your gameplay problems and graphics problems are one and the same.
Captain oaktown

Postby iancanton on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:13 am

given the problems of trying to make japan fit into a 600 x 600 square with legible text and reasonably-sized territories, how about rotating the map anti-clockwise by 30 degrees, so that north points straight up, and having yezo (hokkaido) as just one territory in the pink continent?

yezo, where a small japanese settlement co-existed with the ainu people, was regarded as on the edge of civilisation and was politically unimportant, not one of the “happening” places. the webpage below describes it as wilderness.

http://www.hkd.mlit.go.jp/eng/02hoduh.html

in this case, yezo can be its proper size (instead of shrunken) and in its proper location, but u can show just a small part of it and cut off the rest. u can then resize the map so that all of the territories are bigger, giving more space for army counts. this will give more freedom to design the gameplay of the central area without having to concentrate so much on difficulties caused by lack of space.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby oaktown on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:03 am

even spinning it 15° and pushing the map width out to 630 would probably allow you guys to make the map 8-9% larger without having to cut off anything. It would make the western ends of the farthest west islands flush, and get that bottom island off of the side - some border down there would be nice. And nobody would even notice if you moved Hokaido a few pixels further to the left than it should be.

But none of this changes the fact that the army titles and counts are just not well placed.
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box