Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Festung Holland 1940

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Festung Holland 1940

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Latest version:

previous version:

Ok. The projector works!

The topic of this map is the German attack on Holland in may 1940, and more specifically the paratrooper landings.
I got this idea from a Map Ideas topic about the Market Garden suggestion, of which sprung the idea to do something about all the big paradroppings attacks in WW2 (another one on the agenda would be Crete 1941).

To me a knowledge , but to non-Dutchmen a surprise: here the German paratroopers were actually defeated by the "clumsy" dutch troops.
And because the german paratroopers suffered a great deal (again!) on Crete 1941 it comes as no surprise why Hitler ordered that paratroopers should never be used as such again.

More info about the fights (and heroism versus stupidities) during this dutch campaign you can find on this excellent site
http://www.waroverholland.nl/index.php? ... hague.html

Reading from it I understood I had to enlarge the map to encompass all the landings in South-Holland, but should not leave out the Wehrmacht assault through the northern provinces Friesland/Groningen nor the important effect of air superiority.

Of course the map is not perfected, and I myself have some misgivings about the choice of some graphics, but with your comments (and preferably tips how to improve it with Inkscape) I'll work on it.
At least now there is something on-line.

The Map:

The islands are not true to geography. Some areas were stretched and others compressed. I had to do this to enlarge the areas where there were much activity (fighting, important objects) and I had to find space for the legend and other side features.

Also the Botlek area with the oil tanks has been moved from the southbank to the north bank. This is because the British Royal Marines engineers that were landed at Hoek van Holland were directed to demolish the tanks/oil supply and I have no idea how they got there.
Either a dutch riverjetty brought them over, or a british vessel (more likely) put them there directly.
However, these men were ordered NOT to engage in fightings with german troops (who were to be found at Spijkenisse bridge and Waalhaven airport) and returned after they did their job.
So , on the map it would not be correct to give it a two-way link (because the germans on the south would be able to cross the Maasriver..which is not correct) nor is it satisfactory to have a one direction attack (as once on the south bank you cannot retreat your armies..and these troops are not supposed to assault troops on the island south of Rotterdam).
Well, think about it.

Gameplay:
I set up this map with the idea of 2 players playing, and design it so that the fights and objectives of that time comes to light on this map.
So the bonussystem should reflect that :
1) Airfields are important : to allow more german airlift troops to poor in / to allow Dutch airplanes to get refitted.
2) Bridges are important: to allow free unhindered movement of the expected german panzer kolonne / to build up an increasing and more organized dutch defense.
3) The dutch government seat in The Hague (denHaag) is important: to capture the head of state(the queen) and enforce a quick surrender / to keep the fight going and hope for allied (french 7th army) counter attacks.
4) Hoek vHolland harbour and oil supply is important: Last escape route and entry point for British Marines.

Then I wanted to apply a bonus for Germans to reach their most important objectives (indicated by the German Iron Cross) and for the Dutch to keep their best defense (indicated by a golden crown emblem).
Note that the complex at "Kornwerderzand" held the Germans at bay during the entire campaign and denied them quick access into North Holland.
http://www.verdedigingswerken.nl/kwzand/index.htm

Some of the bridges were , once captured by the germans, of no importance: there simply were no counterattacks or troop movements expected from the population on the island...so these have a lower bonus value than the others.

Air superiority:
In reality, of course the germans had it 100% all the time.
But a lot of german planes were shot down by dutch ground and air forces, which meant that the airfields could not be used for german (fighter) airplanes. Thus, the germans had to fly the same far distance as the (few) english planes, and the few dutch planes had the advantage of less flying distance from Amsterdam airfields.
So I wanted to put this feature in the game map in which a linear advancement line shows where you have control to allow bombardment of a certain place on the map.
The more you place resources here , the more it is possible to bombard your counterpart bonuszones behind his well defended bridgeheads.
In return you cant afford to advance too far without paying attention to your flak defense.

As it is a paratroopers map, I put a single place where the germans can drop additional troops on designated locations as long as they have that slot.
Technically, I wanted to disallow this slot to be reachable from the left (as the british/dutch would not do paralandings in these places) but I realised that in a 6 player map one player could be so unfortunate to be stuck in this air superiority slider (by elimination of troops on the land) and so needed a way out.
Consider it as surprise landings per river boat or surprise resistance from once scattered but now reorganised dutch troops.
(make another icon ?).

4 players ? 6 players ?
Well, honestly, other than the above modification, I have no idea how good or bad the map would run in terms of balance with more players.
The good thing about this map is the fact that there is always a "backdoor" to harass someones bonusareas. In classical maps you'll often see that the bonuszone in the corner of a map is the key to winning the game.

Come to think of it: the german 18th army slot needs to be two ways connected to "Oosterhout" (or allow it to be bombarded ) ..otherwise there could be no final winner... :roll:
Last edited by lt_oddball on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Coleman on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Sorry, all new maps need to start in map ideas, regardless of how far along they are.

We can move this back to the foundry after a few revisions have been made following suggestions. I can't figure out how to get that picture to work though, I tried.

Try uploading it to 'imageshack.us'

EDIT: Yay! I got it!

The first obvious thing to me is your legend background needs to change. The red text for the bomb symbol is very hard to read on top of that color.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:00 pm

Coleman wrote:The first obvious thing to me is your legend background needs to change. The red text for the bomb symbol is very hard to read on top of that color.

Funny that in Inkscape it looks "relaxed'.
I have to admit that I made a jpg SnagIt capture of the Inkscape map.
I guess that is the reason why the purple and the red is "shaking".

How is it to make a sharp jpg image from an Inkscape image?
In Inkscape you could do a "export bitmap"..but it takes aaages and the PC freezes.
I look for a button to merge the layers..but not encountered anything yet.

With Photoshop i can't see the Inkscape "svg" document, so i can't open it.
And GIMP opens it , but without the "patterns" ! They are made transparant ?!?!
:?:
Major lt_oddball

Postby unriggable on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Wow. Great work. But you need to make continents clearer.
Cook unriggable

Postby oaktown on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:25 am

it's very busy - hard to tell what all is going on. It'll help if you choose a single color palette to work with and lose the pastel legends.

And is that Gumby driving the tank?
Captain oaktown

Postby lt_oddball on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:27 am

On to do list:
1) The names smaller and different colour with white shadow. Perhaps full names (sometimes the original name is very big: e.g. "Oud-Beijerland").
2) The highway brown colour change into a tarmac-ish colour.
3) Finer barbed wire sketch (but keep it rusty ;) ).
4) More detail/variety of the grasslands..tone it down ? Though I want to keep the "realism" view and keep the designation of the bonuscolours on the circles.
5) Different /harder bonuscolours (better to distinguish)...maybe with white shadow.
6) Improve edges of land/water.
7) correct bridge view for each angle.
8 ) make airfields sketch nicer.
9) a bonus to waalhaven airfield (though it was too heavily bombarded and ju52 wrecks made further german landings impossible).
Major lt_oddball

Postby lt_oddball on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:46 am

progress is a bit slow recently because of increased workload :( , dealing with finding best kitchen amongst annoying dealers :sick: , and losing myself in online first person shooter games :P .

I'll do my best this weekend(and after) to bring out an improved updated version.

Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli. :roll:
Major lt_oddball

Postby jasnostj on Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:15 am

As a Dutchman I am tempted to ask one question: why is the title in German?
Private jasnostj

Postby Gnome on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:35 am

jasnostj wrote:As a Dutchman I am tempted to ask one question: why is the title in German?

maybe because german owned Holland at that time?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby jasnostj on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:31 am

Gnome wrote:
jasnostj wrote:As a Dutchman I am tempted to ask one question: why is the title in German?

maybe because german owned Holland at that time?

If you would have read oddball's post carefully you would have known that not to be the case, not yet. We still had all our bikes...
Private jasnostj

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:41 pm

That is how the germans referred to the defense system of western-netherlands that harboured the main dutch economy, industry, population and of course the government (sorry Philips and the farmers in the east ;) ).
Technically, it had to deal with the waterbarriers and fortresses that defended that part of the Netherlands. The Germans forsaw no problems with any of the small bunkers and roadblocks that may or may not have been expected in the areas east of the line Utrecht - Dordrecht.

Anyway, the attackplan was called Fall Gelb , but that encompasses also the incursion in Belgium. And the german title "Festung Holland" sounds more appealing to Anglosaxons than "Vesting Holland".

:wink:
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Sven Hassel on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:04 am

the update is good, but still the map is very cloutered.

1. make the territory borders more visible
2. make the roads a less visible, they just capture my attention
3. i dont understand why have you used different shades of the same color, each shade gives a bonus or you have to capture the whole color?
4. you could get rid of some of the background pictures, maybe just for now
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:01 am

Sven Hassel wrote:the update is good, but still the map is very cloutered.

1. make the territory borders more visible
2. make the roads a less visible, they just capture my attention
3. i dont understand why have you used different shades of the same color, each shade gives a bonus or you have to capture the whole color?
4. you could get rid of some of the background pictures, maybe just for now

1. To make the feel of it more "realistic" I thought I'd give the territory borders a broken line , earthy coloured so that it doesn't become so "hard"... maybe when doing the point 4. with less stuff to distract, it may come out better. Together with a different "sharper" colour.
I'll try.

2. I thought the road is not so dominant..but I agree I should make it less clear/hard than the borders.

3.?? I think you refer to the Legend where I put all the 1 point colours together, and same with the 2 points colours.
The idea is that all the circles of one colour gives that bonus (f.i. three yellow ones in Rotterdam is 3 points.) . The legend set up was because of space limitations and inspired by those military ribbons colours that military veterans wear on their breast.
I will give it a concise textual explanation as much as the space allows it.

4. Yes.. I threw in all that I found related to this battle. I should do less.
Coming up. :wink:

I'll also do something about the not so clear red letters on the map. Small white background I suppose.
Major lt_oddball

Re: Festung Holland 1940

Postby lt_oddball on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 pm

i am stuck in busy times; new baby, new house (lots of work there), new car searching... (but same wife and same job ..lol) so I left this map to dust.

In the mean time I have thought about the same battle to be moulded in a different map.

If I find a couple of hours straight and have no other obligations then i will create a concept map to illustrate what I mean.
Major lt_oddball

Postby Androidz on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:57 pm

Nice map:D Get it Quenced:D
Private Androidz

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Androidz wrote:Nice map:D Get it Quenced:D

Yeah... For the record, I like the direction this map is taking.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Return to Recycling Box