Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Time and Place Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Time and Place Map

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:23 pm

This idea came to me by way of CC's beloved Jota. He gave me the basic map and idea and asked if I would be willing to continue the work since he is no longer on the site. I accepted and now here we are.

Basically this map is setup across Time and Places. There are 5 Time Zones that can be held and Various Place zones as well.

Below is the basic layout for gameplay. I plan of fixing up the background, font, names, headers and everything else once the gameplay id worked out. So please feel free to give advise on bonuses, borders, and territory count.

The XML features will be straight forward. No bombardments or individual territory bonuses.

Statistics:
    Number of territories: 49
    Number of Bonus Time Groups: 5
    Number of Bonus Place Groups: 6
Up for discussion:
    1) # of total territories
    2) Borders
    3) # and location of Time portals
    4) Bonuses (after 1-3)
    5) Plus graphics

Still to do:

1) Rework Title and legends
Version 2

Version 1

Last edited by WidowMakers on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Gnome on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:39 pm

great idea :D

I don't have a lot of time to write my review down, I can only say that I don't like the white connection lines, the one on present going form russia to Japan takes the hole sea...
Also the names Western Europe and Eastern Europa overlaps each other

If I get it right you need the red space in every time to get the place bonus right?
Some bonuses will be really hard to hold...I'm really tired and I don't have time to look at the connections but I can sea Europa is really hard to hold while I think S. America is easier to get and they have equal bonuses...I can be wrong, it looks all chaotic and new :wink:

But I really like the concept of the map!!
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:49 pm

Gnome wrote:If I get it right you need the red space in every time to get the place bonus right?
Some bonuses will be really hard to hold...I'm really tired and I don't have time to look at the connections but I can sea Europa is really hard to hold while I think S. America is easier to get and they have equal bonuses...I can be wrong, it looks all chaotic and new :wink:
That is correct. A Place bonus is all of the same color through each of the times.

N. America is in all 5 times
Europe is in 4 times
Asia is in all 5 times
Africa is in 4 times
S.America is in 5
Oceania is in 3
Major WidowMakers

Postby onbekende on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:05 pm

The Bonus calculator is here :D

Pangea: 4 terr, 3 def, 2 cont => 3
thus good

Past: 13 terr, 7 def, 3 cont => 8
good

Present: 16 terr, 7 def, 4 cont => 9
Make at 9, 10 is a bit much for 7 to defend places, thou indeed it is the center of it all.

Future: 10 terr, 6 def, 3 cont => 7
I can agree to 6

Eschaton: 5 terr, 3 def, 2 cont => 3
5 is overpowerd, max 4, prefered 3

N. America: 9 terr, 9 def, 3 cont => 9
Indeed more then 6 worth, atleast 7 in my eyes, will be a somewhat center off fighting

Europe: 7 terr, 7 def, 3 cont => 7
A 6 would be a nice one, centralized peace of land, probably only taken at end of game

Asia: 13 terr, 11 def, 4 cont => 11
7 is way too little, 9 would do well for this!

S. America: 7 terr, 5 def, 4 cont => 6
I can agree to 5

Africa: 8 terr, 6 def, 3 cont => 6
Perhaps 5? won't be a place fought over fast thou desired.

Oceania: 3 terr, 2 def, 2 cont => 2
2 is reasonable amount, good place to start, people with 1 terr of it will fight for it!

Bonus calculations + meanings: { 1.5 times terr. (territories in continent) + 6 times def. (territories needing defence to keep contintent itself) + 1 times cont. (amount of continents it borders) } / 8 => Bonus I calculated.

Do with this as you desire, but fine map and will ask for a different playstyle!!
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby unriggable on Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:52 pm

do you know what would kick ass? Since the future has time machines, maybe eschaton can one-way attack pangea.
Cook unriggable

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:35 am

So is that all of the input this map needs? :(

I am sure there are more people out there who have an opinion.
I want to get this stuff set before I spend 20 hours making the graphics.

So once again, are there any comments or concerns?

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby dominationnation on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:58 am

I think it looks really good. I dont really ave any concerns ar this point so Ill wait to see some graphics.
Cook dominationnation

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:33 pm

dominationnation wrote:I think it looks really good. I dont really ave any concerns ar this point so Ill wait to see some graphics.
So what you are telling me is that you have no problem with the gameplay as far as number of territories, their placement and borders. If I made the map look really goo with the current layout that would be OK?

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby dominationnation on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:35 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
dominationnation wrote:I think it looks really good. I dont really ave any concerns ar this point so Ill wait to see some graphics.
So what you are telling me is that you have no problem with the gameplay as far as number of territories, their placement and borders. If I made the map look really goo with the current layout that would be OK?

WM
well. For now at least. Im not much of a map critic. I dont come here very often. After looking at it for a while though. How come Australia is a contry is come and unplayable in others?
Cook dominationnation

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 pm

dominationnation wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

WM
How come Australia is a contry is come and unplayable in others?
Well Europe and Africa are not playable in Pangea. Not all land masses are represented in all times. Mainly gameplay.
Major WidowMakers

Postby MR. Nate on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:11 pm

It feels like there is too much empty space. The black makes it looks dark, but really, it's the fact that there is so much empty space. But, that is not gameplay, so I digress.

I'm not a fan of 1 bonus territories, but it seems like two is too much for Oceania. I'm not sure what the solution is, perhaps a Eurasia - Protoceania border.

Perhaps we could add a territory to Asia in the future by having them absorb Oceania?

Another thing, it seems that Laurentia [sp?] should be connected to its descendants somehow.
`
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby unriggable on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:27 pm

unriggable wrote:do you know what would kick ass? Since the future has time machines, maybe eschaton can one-way attack pangea.

Just a tip.
Cook unriggable

Postby onbekende on Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:38 pm

I have no furder concerns, I aminly do bonusses and gameplay, the visual aspect can't be discussed, don't see anything else relevant at this stage

and no timemachine, at best a 1 way border, but I don't even want that!
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:19 pm

I really want to keep the time gates going to and from neighboring times. Otherwise, if Eschaton can hit Pangaea, why can't it hit everything else.

I look at the portals as star gates. They are there and uncovered in different times.

So moving them around during each time is OK but having them go to times other than up or down 1 zone is not desired.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby unriggable on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:28 pm

But then its essentially a linear map, no fun in that.
Cook unriggable

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:35 pm

unriggable wrote:But then its essentially a linear map, no fun in that.
It is not linear. It is more like a web.
Each timezone has circular or non linear patterns. So individually, each Time is not linear. And since the places exist across different times and each time can be attacked from different places in a t least two times (except Pangaea and Eschaton), I don't feel the map is really a linear map.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby unriggable on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:30 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
It is not linear. It is more like a web.
Each timezone has circular or non linear patterns. So individually, each Time is not linear. And since the places exist across different times and each time can be attacked from different places in a t least two times (except Pangaea and Eschaton), I don't feel the map is really a linear map.

WM

I mean the loop maps are the best, and this is entirely opposite to this, meaning that the only solid way to win is to take one of the ends and work your way up. However if you start int he middle you're essentially screwed from the beginning. So a one-way attack from eschaton to pangea would make sense since youd think the scientists would go there to study dinos and such.
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:13 pm

I'm a little late to the party here.

I'd just like to say this is a brilliant idea. It is something new and interesting without using the new xml code which I believe many users that do not regularly visit the foundry may be having some problems adjusting to.

I'm a bit concerned about how well army numbers will fit with all the portals but would love to see this continued. I am going to hesitate adding this to the news post I'm working on until I feel assured that there will be continued work.

I also agree with unriggable. There needs to be at least one connection between Esc and Pan. I can only see the existence of one improving gameplay.

Also, Oceania should probably be worth 2. Yes, it is only 3 territories, but all 3 of them look like they will need to be defended.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby mibi on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:35 pm

except for Pangea, this kinda looks like the same map repeated over and over again.
Captain mibi

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:58 pm

mibi wrote:except for Pangea, this kinda looks like the same map repeated over and over again.

i can't help having the same feeling. in fact if you look at all (except pangea) they are the same just with different borders and colors.

anyway. the idea sounds good to a point. the multi-layered thing is good. but the way it is made makes it very unattractive. as previously stated if you start in the present you're screwed.

BUT my main concern here are the graphics. the last two maps presented by wm (this and the dungeon) look very poor. maybe it's just me but neither of them looks like what i expect from wm. in fact it all kinda started at the canada revamp. but i'm getting off topic here.

maybe i should explain my reasons.
the map is too dark too pixelated too cramped. and while i get the feeling it is too crapmped at the same time i feel like there's so much wasted space. i guess it's because the terits are so small and they're surrounded by all that black.

enough about graphics. on to the theme. as i said it is a good one but having 4 out of 5 stages look almost the same kinda spoils all the fun.

pangea and present are ok. past and future are same as present with diff borders and that's bad. on one hand you have a map that's millions of years in the past and on another hand you have a map that's just a few hundred years in the past and another one that's also a few hundred years in the future. that's bad. i'd like to see pangea then an intermediary stage between pangea and present then present and so on. something at regular intervals with actual differences.

and eschanton? what is that?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:24 pm

DiM wrote:BUT my main concern here are the graphics. the last two maps presented by wm (this and the dungeon) look very poor. maybe it's just me but neither of them looks like what i expect from wm. in fact it all kinda started at the canada revamp. but i'm getting off topic here.

He said he would get the gameplay all set before taking forever on the graphics.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby DiM on Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:34 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
DiM wrote:BUT my main concern here are the graphics. the last two maps presented by wm (this and the dungeon) look very poor. maybe it's just me but neither of them looks like what i expect from wm. in fact it all kinda started at the canada revamp. but i'm getting off topic here.

He said he would get the gameplay all set before taking forever on the graphics.

then he can ignore my ranting on the graphics and concentrate on the other parts. :roll:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:54 pm

mibi wrote:except for Pangea, this kinda looks like the same map repeated over and over again.
How would you go about showing the earth from the beginning to the end then? I could make Eschaton look more like Extreme global warming with most of the land gone and in Past have the continents closer together and still not fully formed.

Well DiM, I am trying to continue to develop my styles. As far as Canada, you may not like it but it is unique. The dungeon map has its own style and I am not done. And as for this map I want gameplay worked out before I spend hours making a map you will complain about because the territories look the same.
But I am sorry you don't like the way my maps are looking right now. I have made 7 (original and revamp) with Canada on the way. None of them look the same. I would rather broaden my artistic style than make cookie cutter graphical maps with different XML.

DiM wrote:pangea and present are ok. past and future are same as present with diff borders and that's bad. on one hand you have a map that's millions of years in the past and on another hand you have a map that's just a few hundred years in the past and another one that's also a few hundred years in the future. that's bad. i'd like to see pangea then an intermediary stage between pangea and present then present and so on. something at regular intervals with actual differences.
I will try to make a better past map. Names are also something that can help differentiate the times. Any suggestions on names?

DiM wrote:and eschanton? what is that?
The end of the world.
Here is a link to wikipedia on eschatology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eschatology

Aside from the PAST being to similar graphically to Present and Future, does anyone want any borders changed or just looks. Because if the look is the onyl concern then I can get to work on the graphical updates.

THINGS TO DO
==========
1) Add a warp from Pangea to Eschaton. I think it will be a 2-way border. There is no reason to make it 1 way since pangea already has 3 2-way portals.
2) Try to get army circles located.

P.S. DiM, would you please post your comments on how I could improve the gameplay of the Dungeon map in that thread. I am interested in getting everyones opinion on that. Graphics suggestions too. :D
Major WidowMakers

Postby jako on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:13 am

WM has a point. ur idea would ruin the gameplay, not enhance it because eschaton would be a super continent. who wants to play that :roll:

u have my support WM.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby unriggable on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:16 am

jako wrote:

WM has a point. ur idea would ruin the gameplay, not enhance it because eschaton would be a super continent. who wants to play that :roll:

u have my support WM.

There should almost always be one supercontinent per map, one continent nobody really plans on starting the game with: Asia, Red Mountain, Dairy Farmers, Germany, whatever.
Cook unriggable

Next

Return to Recycling Box