Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Scandinavia

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Scandinavia - Rev 21 - Sep 30 2010 [Gp]

Postby CoolC on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Alright, i should be able to find some time to get a new version out in the next few days. Just makin a note here since I know it's been a while and I don't want to have the thread moved to the bin again 8-)

update 29/11: I wasn't able to work on it when I planned, other stuff got in the way. Now at last I'm finally making progress and I was hopeful of getting it online tonight but it's getting late and early tomorrow is work again. I hope you can give me a little longer... It'll be a pretty substantial update this time and I'm about halfway done. The colorblind issue with norway is fixed. At the moment im trying to get the new legend looking good. It will be part of a frame around the whole map. I will probably get three versions out to see which one is best (among normal borders, inverted borders and without army cicles)
I don't need a 500px image in my signature because I don't have anything to compensate for.
Corporal CoolC

Postby RedBaron0 on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am

How we coming Cool?
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Gillipig on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm

CoolC wrote:Thanks for some concrete suggestions.

I used the primary colors (red, green, blue, yellow) for as great contrast as possible for full color seeing people but it's clear some compromise is needed. I think the easiest will be to change Norway to a different color. Not sure which one yet, maybe some other shade of green, or maybe something else completely.

I think you've worked long enough on this map to put it in the final forge! Whatever issues that pop up now are minor anyway and could be fixed after it's been put into BETA version later on!

By the way I started working on a map of the Swedish Empire six months ago! I haven't worked on it since then but I think it'll be a pretty nice map eventually! It has a completely different look to it than both yours and Natty's. Focusing on bonuses involving battles both sea and land and controll of resurces! I've taken inspiration from "Jamaica" and "Third Crusade" and I think I'll borrow some stuff from "Napoleonic Europe" as well! I'll put up what I have so far and start working on it in towards the end of January. Hope to see your comments then :D !
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby CoolC on Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:53 am

RedBaron0: To be honest, I am not sure. I was hoping of getting it done last week but failed to find time, or rather time got misplaced on other things. I will try to work on it tomorrow and then again in 4 days (have to do with my shift cycle, i work rotating around the clock, some days there is time available before/after work, some not). If I haven't put up a new version in a week I am pretty certain I won't find time to work on this until mid-january and thus it might be eligable to be put on vacation-mode. I really hope to avoid this though...

Gillipeg: After next version I think it should be ready for the forge. If not it's quite likly I simply give up.

It is rather difficult to keep yourself focused and intererested on the same thing for 2+ years...
I don't need a 500px image in my signature because I don't have anything to compensate for.
Corporal CoolC

Postby Gillipig on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:29 am

CoolC wrote:
Gillipeg: After next version I think it should be ready for the forge. If not it's quite likly I simply give up.

It is rather difficult to keep yourself focused and intererested on the same thing for 2+ years...

I can imagine, but it must be even worse to to not finish it after all that work!
It looks good and it should be fun to play on so the sooner it's made playable the better. It's probably possible to work on a map forever if the aim is to make it perfect but fact is that I can't see anything that would stop this map from being put into the final forge! I don't know what more there's to do on this map in the workshop!!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:24 am

CoolC wrote:RedBaron0: To be honest, I am not sure. I was hoping of getting it done last week but failed to find time, or rather time got misplaced on other things. I will try to work on it tomorrow and then again in 4 days (have to do with my shift cycle, i work rotating around the clock, some days there is time available before/after work, some not). If I haven't put up a new version in a week I am pretty certain I won't find time to work on this until mid-january and thus it might be eligable to be put on vacation-mode. I really hope to avoid this though...

Just let me or thenobodies know if you need a vacation.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Eyestone on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:10 am

It's clearly not a local who has made up the name for the regions. The name "Fold" sounds just weird as it's never used about any geographical region. It's either just Vestfold or Ƙstfold, which is divided by Buskerud, Oslo and Akershus in between them. The dividing of Agder (which consist of Vest-Agder and Aust-Agder) is a different matter as they are natural "neighbours", but Fold is an unnatural combination with a fictional name. You must do something about that.
General Eyestone

Postby CoolC on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Keep the thread in here. I got a tiny bit extra motivation from the holiday stamps and starting tomorrow I actually have 6 days off work. I should be able to find enough time for the map.

but Fold is an unnatural combination with a fictional name. You must do something about that.

I am not going to change the region boundaries at this point. But I can change the name of the region as-is, if you can suggest a better name. The other norweigians here haven't complained about it though. If you have a better name please suggest it in the next few days as I'd like to include it in the next version.
Corporal CoolC

Postby Eyestone on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:52 pm

CoolC wrote:Keep the thread in here. I got a tiny bit extra motivation from the holiday stamps and starting tomorrow I actually have 6 days off work. I should be able to find enough time for the map.

but Fold is an unnatural combination with a fictional name. You must do something about that.

I am not going to change the region boundaries at this point. But I can change the name of the region as-is, if you can suggest a better name. The other norweigians here haven't complained about it though. If you have a better name please suggest it in the next few days as I'd like to include it in the next version.

Well, if you must keep the region as it is, I would call it Oslo as that's the natural centre there. It's not only a city but also a county. It might look weird when you don't have the other capitals for the other Scandinavian countries represented, but that's my best suggestion.
General Eyestone

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Any news?

It has been a while since the last update...are you working on it?
Let us know something about the current status of developement or we must consider this project as stalled. :(
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:22 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: [Abandoned] - Scandinavia

Postby CoolC on Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Hello, I'm back on CC after about 5 years of absence. How time flies, it feels like yesterday... ;)

I came back mostly to play a little bit again, but I thought I'd check if there is any interest in me reviving this old map project?

Based on the comments last time and my own opinion the only thing remaining to be done is a remake of the legend, so it shouldn't take too much time.

But maybe policies have changed here over the years disqualifying the map? Or maybe it's too many maps already?

I give it a go if you want to.
Corporal CoolC

Postby IcePack on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Seems like theres a couple already covering this area, one nearly identical (but it covers iceland)

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby benga on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:24 am

IcePack wrote:Seems like theres a couple already covering this area, one nearly identical (but it covers iceland)

ditto, bring something new to this map or find another idea
Sergeant benga

Postby Arama86n on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:14 am

CoolC, check out the map Nordic Countries.
Major Arama86n

Postby CoolC on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:56 am

I know about the map Nordic countries. It was started while I was working on this and raced past me in the forge. It's very different maps although they cover partly the same area and it's existence wasn't seen as a problem last time. There is for example at least 5 maps covering Europe, 3 different maps for France and an insane amount of US maps. Both gameplay and aestetics are completely different from the nordic map. We discussed this a few pages back in this thread.

Don't know what other map IcePack was referring to though (couple)?

I'm not saying it's invalid criticism, if noone wants another scandi map I certainly won't sink any time into it, but I am aware of the nordic map and personally I don't see it as a problem having a more "real" scandinavian map as well. I wouldn't start a new map from scratch at this point but since this one is pretty much finished already it might as well be.
Corporal CoolC

Previous

Return to Recycling Box