Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v8--April 13--PAGE 1+3

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:05 pm

gimil wrote:I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.

well what colors do you suggest? The flag is only two colors. I know that Switzerland is cold, so maybe different whites, purples, and blues?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby gimil on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:I think your going about the colors all wrong, I feel that this map should have a neutral feel to feel swiss.

well what colors do you suggest? The flag is only two colors. I know that Switzerland is cold, so maybe different whites, purples, and blues?

Reallyed toned down blues and purples may work. But I think nutral may work better than cold.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm

this is my first look at this map, and i gotta say that i like the look
Corporal bryguy

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 am

if you were going for the "cold" theme, you could perhaps have snow-capped mountains, and a little bit of light blue with a very low ocpacity around the mountains and a little on the mountains?

just a thought
Major t-o-m

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:31 pm

I can put a poll.

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:48 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent

[/threadjack]

personally i like the colours now (a bit dark but i always say that), but i think that a switzerland theme would be great if yuo could pull it off, which i think youre capibal of ;)
gl
Major t-o-m

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:54 pm

A Poll is up!

t-o-m wrote:personally i like the colours now (a bit dark but i always say that)

Sounds like you need a new monitor man ;)

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:00 pm

t-o-m wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I get why people are saying the colors don't seem to go with the map, but I really like the current color scheme. It's crisp and clean and not too muddy. I suppose it can't hurt to experiment with new colors, though.

its all about themes - some people like them, some dont, and some are just plain stubborn - youre just plain stubborn,

see this is how you go about it, Kap is putting up a poll, you just declined all comments and moved on with what you wanted to do and acteda ll innocent

Some maps work very well with themes, for example, Doodle Earth. Other maps are perfectly fine without overbearing themes, such as Portugal. The presence of a specific theme really isn't necessary for a map to function, and at times it can appear gimmicky if not done well.

The current version of this map is great, in my opinion. An overthematization of it could possibly make it worse. That's not to say it definitely will, but the chance exists. If you would care to read what I said, I agreed that, in the end, trying out new concepts is a beneficial thing.

Now, your incessant ad hominem attacks are getting annoying. I am being perfectly reasonable here. If you'd like to discuss what happened in other threads, then either PM me or post in those threads. There's absolutely no reason to threadjack this perfectly good thread.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:04 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
t-o-m wrote:

Some maps work very well with themes, for example, Doodle Earth. Other maps are perfectly fine without overbearing themes, such as Portugal. The presence of a specific theme really isn't necessary for a map to function, and at times it can appear gimmicky if not done well.

The current version of this map is great, in my opinion. An overthematization of it could possibly make it worse. That's not to say it definitely will, but the chance exists. If you would care to read what I said, I agreed that, in the end, trying out new concepts is a beneficial thing.

Now, your incessant ad hominem attacks are getting annoying. I am being perfectly reasonable here. If you'd like to discuss what happened in other threads, then either PM me or post in those threads. There's absolutely no reason to threadjack this perfectly good thread.

Yes, i was definately post any other color schemes that looks good after i fool around.

And i havent read that much of the other thread, but IMO that last post ^^^ was handled very well and professionally!

Postby t-o-m on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:And i havent read that much of the other thread, but IMO that last post ^^^ was handled very well and professionally!

lol for once

i just dont like you attitude Z, ok ending now,

lol about the monitor - im using a different comp now and it still looks dark, bur less dark ;) - i like bright things lol , just my opinion
Major t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 pm

I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.

Also may I suggest using the three official languages of Switzerland for the name of the map or maybe under Switzerland: Schweiz, Suisse and Svizzera.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.

Do you think it would work if the current colors were shifted around to create more contrast between each continent? Right now all the similarly colored continents are adjacent to each other. If you switch the color of the two +5 regions, for example, you'd get a lot of contrast that would differentiate them better. Along with new colorations, this could be considered in the poll.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:48 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:I am colour blind and I am having big troubles differentiating those colours. They need changing.

Do you think it would work if the current colors were shifted around to create more contrast between each continent? Right now all the similarly colored continents are adjacent to each other. If you switch the color of the two +5 regions, for example, you'd get a lot of contrast that would differentiate them better. Along with new colorations, this could be considered in the poll.

Yes that could be a solution, but I think at least one of them needs to be changed or at least given a different tone.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

Yes that could be a solution, but I think at least one of them needs to be changed or at least given a different tone.

Sure i can do that. I think that would be the best color scheme considering colorblind people

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Is this better at all?

Re: Switzerland v9--April 16--PAGE 1+5

Postby CatfishJohnson on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:06 pm

whao i like it man NICE, the font MIGHT be a lil non readable or w/e but nice
Cook CatfishJohnson

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Nice job, especially with the BG and color-flipping!

Few things, of course:
Could you move the Svizzera/Schweiz/Suisse text to the left a few pixels? Also, is the S in Suisse lined up with the others? I can't quite tell, but it doesn't look like it is.
The army circle for Zug could cause problems with border-visibility when numbers are in there. Maybe it would work better to put the circle in the southeast of the territory and move the word Zug northwest a tad.
The army circle for Chur overlaps the border. You've got plenty of room there, so you could easily move it down a few pixels.
The army circle for St. Moritz does this too. You probaby have room to fit it to the left of where it is now.
Guess what...another army circle! This time, it's in Neuchatel. You could move the text south and the circle southwest to fit it in.
Jura's circle might fit in that little peninsula area north of where it is now if you move the text
Obwalden's text and circle overlap a bit; you can move the circle down a few pixels

*Phew* I think that's everything for now.

Edit: Shouldn't this be an advanced idea by now?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Ill fix those above adjustments when i get a chance

Postby gimil on Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 am

[adv. idea]

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Ogrecrusher on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:09 am

Needs more Mountains! It's Switzerland after all!

I like it, keep up the good work!
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby bryguy on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:15 am

Ogrecrusher wrote:Needs more Mountains! It's Switzerland after all!

I like it, keep up the good work!

i concur, it does need more mountains
Corporal bryguy

Postby gimil on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 am

I still dont agree with the general theme of coor scheme your going with. Type switerland in google andtake inspiration from their. If your making a country map I feel it should have some kind of feel to that country.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:36 pm

gimil wrote:I still dont agree with the general theme of coor scheme your going with. Type switerland in google andtake inspiration from their. If your making a country map I feel it should have some kind of feel to that country.

Agreed. gimil.
Kap....the gray background makers this map feel like it has something austere about it....quite far removed from what Swisse is actually about/like.
Whites (snow), Blues(sky and lakes), Browns to greys(mountains), Greens(lush meadows), Yellows and those hues (Alpen flowers) and red(flag) and Chocolate (Mmmmmm yummy) should be the colours for Swisse.

The white on the borders and the glow on text is simply overpowering on that grey background.

I do however like the title font, and the clarity of the tert font.

And i think i would like to see lots of snow-capped mountains on this map.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:59 pm

The Ticino and Graubunden regions' colour schemes are still too similar.

You need to give the map a lighter, livelier theme. The shade of the graphics is a bit too dark and dull. Lighten them up a bit.

Regarding the landscape...Switzerland is famous for its many mountains, lakes and rivers. Try to add more of those elements.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box