Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v40--Oct. 3--PAGE 1+34 [D,GP]

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:22 pm

small steps....

Click image to enlarge.

Im happy i started over, i really like the way this looks!
But does it looks Swiss?

Well i havent changed anything gameplay-wise. Maybe a simple solution would be to add some more impassables? Less openings between continents?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby pamoa on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:05 am

Please no, don't put mountain where they do not exist! you already put intermittent river. The mountain range you prolonged north is just in the middle of what we call the "plateau" (flat land). If you want to add more physical barriers in that part put some river. But as you are changing the gameplay your map should re-run after the stamp.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby RjBeals on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:15 am

this looks good. These mountains fit really nicely with the style of the map. I'm not sure about feeling "swiss" - but I do like the map. There's some areas that are in question as to whether then can attack each other or not - like the center bottom (gray / green / blue) intersection.
Private RjBeals

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:46 pm

Since you're re-imagining the map, could you drop the purple continent? That's most certainly not Swiss by any stretch. I'd stick with mountain blue, icy silver, verdant green, and pale sunlight yellow, the colors of the Alps. Maybe throw in a red shade or two as a nod to the Swiss colors.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Re: Switzerland v41--Novemer 8--PAGE 1+36 [D,GP]

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Click image to enlarge.

VERSION 41
New Mountains
New Bonuses
New Map

Postby oaktown on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:09 pm

i like the new look... the water doesn't quite fit yet with the softer elements, but overall it's a good direction you're taking this.

The fact that you're re-thinking play/bonuses means I have to put this map back on my radar (doh!). As before, keep in mind how the start will go down, and watch the clarity of that three-way border in the south.
Captain oaktown

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:12 pm

I dont think that ill change the gameplay other than those mountains and that one bonus.
I meant to fix that three way border but i forgot--ill do it next update
Ill change the river

Postby pamoa on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:47 am

Please remove these non-sense mountain between Sion and Brig as it is an unique big valley.
And also the ones between Bern and Luzern as it is the flat part of Switzerland.
And as you will rework the rivers you can drop the lakes as they aren't of any gameplay use and seems to be graphically out of scale.
If you want to add some mountain you can do it between Sankt Moritz and Thusis, Scuol and Chur or Jura and Bienne.
I also think Basel should be in yellow region as it definitely not under Bern dominion.
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:01 pm

I really dont know the geography of Switzerland, i was just looking at these websites:
http://www.about.ch/geography/index.htm ... _Mountains
Jungfrau and Mönch

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:08 pm

Kap, you started this thread in April, and now, 5 months later, you say that you "really dont know the geography of Switzerland".... No wonder this map doesn't seem to be going anywhere....

I do like the new style, but think it would be more suited to a different map...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:43 pm

MrBenn wrote:Kap, you started this thread in April, and now, 5 months later, you say that you "really dont know the geography of Switzerland".... No wonder this map doesn't seem to be going anywhere....

I do like the new style, but think it would be more suited to a different map...

i kinda blindly listened to pamao, he really knows what he's talking about! :) ;)

Postby pamoa on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:52 am

As your very very very schematic map told you if you watch it carefully, the northern half of Switzerland is "flat" and the rest is in the alps. But you did put a mountain range interrupting the Rhone river one of the 2 or 3 largest river of western Europe. ;)
Here is also a more accurate goggle image for your information
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:01 pm

So would it be really bad to keep those mountains? Because it really helps the gameplay IMO.

Postby pamoa on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:29 am

A complete non-sense #-o , please you should really remove it.
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Well, i do already have that gameplay stamp...so i guess its safe to remove them.

So any comments on graphics? Is this finally a good theme (so far MrBenn is the only one to say anything, no)? Am I any closer to a stamp?

Postby edbeard on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:59 pm

I like the new graphics

you know that I don't like your gameplay at all though. maybe it's just me
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:04 pm

edbeard wrote:I like the new graphics

you know that I don't like your gameplay at all though. maybe it's just me

I was hoping that the new mountains would improve the gameplay, but pamoa thinks that i should take them out, because they are too unrealistic.

Postby edbeard on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 pm

work with pamoa on new gameplay with proper terrain
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Well, i do already have that gameplay stamp...so i guess its safe to remove them.

So any comments on graphics? Is this finally a good theme (so far MrBenn is the only one to say anything, no)? Am I any closer to a stamp?

I like the new graphics. We don't have any maps like that, which I think would add freshness to the site. As for the geography of Switzerland, I know nothing about it apart from there being mountains amnd lakes. I find it interesting that people complain about the geography on the map - I've had to make so many changes to my map to quell gameplay complaints that half the borders and mountains make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Such is the way of the foundry though.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Click image to enlarge.

To do:
possible fix gameplay?
adjust river?
clear borders?
gfx stamp?

pamoa, i removed the mountains like you asked (including the ones between Bern and Luzern), but is there anything that could block off Sion and Vaud? Forests? Rivers? Aliens?!

Re: Switzerland v42--Novemer 16--PAGE 1+37 [D,GP]

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:38 pm

My only complaints are the purple mountains and the purple behind your name in the corner. that color doesn't work for the map at all. I'd like it better if it was grey or white behind Kaplowitz and the mountains grey to match the borders.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby pamoa on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:24 pm

You also removed the mountain between bern and vaud which could be kept. Between Sion and Vaud you can put a river but would sound a bit strange. Frankly the connection Brig Sion Vaud should remain free. But tell my what you are looking for so I can make a more constructive proposition.
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:25 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:My only complaints are the purple mountains and the purple behind your name in the corner. that color doesn't work for the map at all. I'd like it better if it was grey or white behind Kaplowitz and the mountains grey to match the borders.

Id prefer to use a color that isnt on the map anywhere else...but if others dont like it, it will change.

Also, i just realized a border does not reach by Thusis and Ticino, but that will be fixed next update.

Postby gimil on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 am

Sort out the geography, DON NOT change the style again. The new style you have here is fantastic. :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby brandoncfi on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:55 pm

gimil wrote:Sort out the geography, DON NOT change the style again. The new style you have here is fantastic. :D

Wow this looks great very different from anything out there
Highest point total 2774 and a rank of Colonel.
OSA of You
OSA Obsructing Your Sleep
GO STEELERS !!!
Cook brandoncfi

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box