Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which path is better?

Total votes : 0

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:26 pm

Your course looks great, but I do see one problem: in a real Golf match, all of your holes would be a Par 5. You should shorten up a few of them. There are plenty of holes where you can get the ball onto the green on your first drive.

Also there should be at least one hole where the only way to get to it would be through the drive. Take this hole for example:
Click image to enlarge.

Or this one:

Click image to enlarge.

Adding holes like these will make your course seem much more realistic. Plus it will change around the strategy around those holes. The only way you could capture the whole thing is if you started with the tee.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:51 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Your course looks great, but I do see one problem: in a real Golf match, all of your holes would be a Par 5. You should shorten up a few of them. There are plenty of holes where you can get the ball onto the green on your first drive.

Also there should be at least one hole where the only way to get to it would be through the drive. Take this hole for example:
Click image to enlarge.

Or this one:

Click image to enlarge.

Adding holes like these will make your course seem much more realistic. Plus it will change around the strategy around those holes. The only way you could capture the whole thing is if you started with the tee.

I think a lot of people are wanting a golf course here rather than a map. I do understand that yes, it is a golf course, but bear in mind it's a map 1st and a golf course 2nd. The par on this map is just a way to relate to the golf course theme. If I created this EXACTLY like a golf course then the bonuses would be too high. I most likely will however make one of the holes green only reachable by the tee, that's a cool idea.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:57 am

Androidz wrote:i like the 300 makers thing you made up but i think you should make diffrent markers. Like some hits Hole in one since its an easyer course, some dont hit as far. So make it Diffrent markers.

And im not so sure i like the lines clussing into the terretories, maybe you can add a golfball where the Tee hits? Well this is a small thing, and it might just look weird.

Also the bunkers, i cant see why any1 need to conquer the bunkers, their not in the way so they dont need that -1 bonus if you make them a part of the "Continent" then i see why the -.

The bunkers are part of the course and part of a "continent". They, like in a real golf course, are meant to provide a hindrance on the course/map. So you need to hold it to get the bonus, but the bunkers are on the "continent" borders, which means they are easily taken and the bonuses easily broken. It's your decision to beef a bunker up with defense to hold your bonus, but you will also be losing an army each turn.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:47 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:i like the 300 makers thing you made up but i think you should make diffrent markers. Like some hits Hole in one since its an easyer course, some dont hit as far. So make it Diffrent markers.

And im not so sure i like the lines clussing into the terretories, maybe you can add a golfball where the Tee hits? Well this is a small thing, and it might just look weird.

Also the bunkers, i cant see why any1 need to conquer the bunkers, their not in the way so they dont need that -1 bonus if you make them a part of the "Continent" then i see why the -.

The bunkers are part of the course and part of a "continent". They, like in a real golf course, are meant to provide a hindrance on the course/map. So you need to hold it to get the bonus, but the bunkers are on the "continent" borders, which means they are easily taken and the bonuses easily broken. It's your decision to beef a bunker up with defense to hold your bonus, but you will also be losing an army each turn.

thats good, anyway keep the other thing in mentioned in mind.
Private Androidz

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:34 am

Ethitts wrote:I think a lot of people are wanting a golf course here rather than a map. I do understand that yes, it is a golf course, but bear in mind it's a map 1st and a golf course 2nd. The par on this map is just a way to relate to the golf course theme. If I created this EXACTLY like a golf course then the bonuses would be too high. I most likely will however make one of the holes green only reachable by the tee, that's a cool idea.

I'm not saying that you should make the bonuses any greater. I was just pointing out how your drive marker of 300 ft. should reach the tees of some holes. There are very few courses in the world that have ALL of their holes to the same length as yours. You should just shorten a few of them up.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I'm not saying that you should make the bonuses any greater. I was just pointing out how your drive marker of 300 ft. should reach the tees of some holes. There are very few courses in the world that have ALL of their holes to the same length as yours. You should just shorten a few of them up.

OK. I think I'll shorten Classic and Cairns Coral Cart. Those two will probably be best.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby gameplayer on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:06 pm

the Caddie Maximus tee should say CM not CD
Colonel gameplayer

Postby laci_mae on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Ethitts wrote:I think a lot of people are wanting a golf course here rather than a map. I do understand that yes, it is a golf course, but bear in mind it's a map 1st and a golf course 2nd. The par on this map is just a way to relate to the golf course theme. If I created this EXACTLY like a golf course then the bonuses would be too high. I most likely will however make one of the holes green only reachable by the tee, that's a cool idea.

I think that this map is progressing nicely to still be in the drafting phase. Over time, I think the map will only improve as you integrate those golf course details.

I see that you're planning to shorten a couple holes. I think some lengthening and shortening is warranted to create diverse gameplay. Also, I don't see any reason that longer holes aren't par 5's. I'm not too familiar with 9-hole course breakdowns, but it seems logical to have 3 holes each which are par 3, 4, and 5. I don't think these bonuses would be too high. Maybe you could have an extra par 3 and one less par 4.

I'm kind of confused by the beach. It seems like you weren't sure what to put around the border, so you just stuck in a beach. It's not a terrible idea, but I think it detracts from what you're trying to accomplish. I also don't think it will fit when you downsize the map to meet size regulations.

L
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby Ethitts on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:01 pm

gameplayer wrote:the Caddie Maximus tee should say CM not CD

Yes, it should. Don't know why I put CD. That will be changed next update. Thanks.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 pm

laci_mae wrote:I think that this map is progressing nicely to still be in the drafting phase. Over time, I think the map will only improve as you integrate those golf course details.

I see that you're planning to shorten a couple holes. I think some lengthening and shortening is warranted to create diverse gameplay. Also, I don't see any reason that longer holes aren't par 5's. I'm not too familiar with 9-hole course breakdowns, but it seems logical to have 3 holes each which are par 3, 4, and 5. I don't think these bonuses would be too high. Maybe you could have an extra par 3 and one less par 4.

I'm kind of confused by the beach. It seems like you weren't sure what to put around the border, so you just stuck in a beach. It's not a terrible idea, but I think it detracts from what you're trying to accomplish. I also don't think it will fit when you downsize the map to meet size regulations.

L

How do I get out of drafting anyway? I think this is a good idea and the graphics/game play aren't too bad. Apart from a few touch-ups I don't know what else needs to be done to move on. Surely this is enough to warrant an idea stamp?

The beach is just like bunkers, your messing up your game if you hit onto the beach. It's also there to make the game play a little more interesting, provide different strategies etc. I'm not too sure you know what it is I want to accomplish. My main idea is too create a fun, interesting map to play on. A good golf course is far from my mind, as we won't exactly be playing golf on it :D

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm taking all these hole sizes into account and hopefully everyone will then be satisfied on the next update.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby laci_mae on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:28 pm

I don't know what warrants a stamp. It sure seems like a solid map idea to me.

As for the other: I'm not totally opposed to the beach. It just seems to dominate the map due to its bright color and large size. It might tie in better if the water were closer to some of the holes. The current set up has the course laid out, then a large tree buffer, then the beach. This results in a seeming disconnection between the course and the beach.

I understand that you would like to create a fun map. But I agree that we have one main perceptual gap. I think, to create a good map, you have to embrace the idea of a golf course and turn every detail into a gameplay feature. I believe you think you'll come up with the desired gameplay and then alter the graphics to make it work. Bottom line for me is if you're not head-long into wanting this to be a golf course, the map will never make it. I'm not trying to offend or put down your vision. I actually see an extremely high potential for this map, and hope you see it through.

L
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby Ethitts on Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 am

laci_mae wrote:I don't know what warrants a stamp. It sure seems like a solid map idea to me.

As for the other: I'm not totally opposed to the beach. It just seems to dominate the map due to its bright color and large size. It might tie in better if the water were closer to some of the holes. The current set up has the course laid out, then a large tree buffer, then the beach. This results in a seeming disconnection between the course and the beach.

I understand that you would like to create a fun map. But I agree that we have one main perceptual gap. I think, to create a good map, you have to embrace the idea of a golf course and turn every detail into a gameplay feature. I believe you think you'll come up with the desired gameplay and then alter the graphics to make it work. Bottom line for me is if you're not head-long into wanting this to be a golf course, the map will never make it. I'm not trying to offend or put down your vision. I actually see an extremely high potential for this map, and hope you see it through.

L

I'll see what I can do for my next update. I'll change things round a bit and see what people think.

As for the beach, for me it's in the corner of my eye and doesn't stand out at all. As a lot of people have said, the green dominates this map, so I can't understand where your coming from. Or maybe your just the first person to mention it.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:02 am

Can you put the page number of your latest update in the title please?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf - update pg 7

Postby Ethitts on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:23 am

Ver 6:
Click image to enlarge.

Version 6:
1. Made Classic! hole shorter (well, similar length, but now the green can be reached by the tee).
2. Classic is shorter in distance, but it now also has more territories.
2. Changed Feudal Fairway hole layout a little. Made it connect with Bambogey Jack's tee.
3. Made Dust Bowl more challenging, only the tee can reach over the trees.
4. Made Cairns Coral Cart green in range of the tee.
5. Classic's bunker and Age of Realms green now connect.

Hopefully these changes are for the better!
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf - update pg 7

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:57 pm

Ethitts wrote:Version 6:
1. Made Classic! hole shorter (well, similar length, but now the green can be reached by the tee).
2. Classic is shorter in distance, but it now also has more territories.
2. Changed Feudal Fairway hole layout a little. Made it connect with Bambogey Jack's tee.
3. Made Dust Bowl more challenging, only the tee can reach over the trees.
4. Made Cairns Coral Cart green in range of the tee.
5. Classic's bunker and Age of Realms green now connect.

Hopefully these changes are for the better!

It looks good. Great Update.

I have suggestion on it though. I think that the layout of the Bambogey Jack tee territory looks ugly. Why don't you make little dirt paths to connect the territories between the different holes. This would make the holes look a bit more realistic (oval shaped) yet you could still keep the same attack routes.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf - update pg 8

Postby bryguy on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:35 am

Looking great!

1) Could you maybe make area of water next to the beach a little darker? it hurts my eyes right now
2) Like the golf cart thing! but maybe could you make it revert back to neutral 6-8?
3) I like the thing about the tees attacking any territory within the 300 yards, but maybe could you have it that the tees can bombard any areas past it? just throwing out an idea =D
4) Maybe reword "reverts back to 5 neutral" to "reverts back to neutral 5"?
5) could u make the tee in the title more visible? (the white dot on it)
6) heres an idea, maybe instead of the 'f' on the end of Golf, put in a golf club? (so that the part you hit the ball with is on the top and pointing that way -> )
7) are you aloud to attack from the 7 beach to cairns coral area, AOE tee, and east wing?
8) maybe make it obvious if you can attack along the paths? (the concrete paths, right now you dont know if u can or cant)
9) are u gonna rename the sand things on the course? cause having them all named 'b' isnt gonna work [-X

keep up the good work!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Ethitts on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:It looks good. Great Update.

I have suggestion on it though. I think that the layout of the Bambogey Jack tee territory looks ugly. Why don't you make little dirt paths to connect the territories between the different holes. This would make the holes look a bit more realistic (oval shaped) yet you could still keep the same attack routes.

I'll try tidy it up a bit. I agree Bambogey Jack Tee looks ugly. As for the paths, I gave it a go but it looked even worse. I'll give it another try and see if I can come up with something better.

bryguy wrote:Looking great!

1) Could you maybe make area of water next to the beach a little darker? it hurts my eyes right now

Can do.
bryguy wrote:2) Like the golf cart thing! but maybe could you make it revert back to neutral 6-8?

Easy thing to change, will do. I think 8 might be too high though so I'll go with 6.
bryguy wrote:3) I like the thing about the tees attacking any territory within the 300 yards, but maybe could you have it that the tees can bombard any areas past it? just throwing out an idea =D

We had decided on a certain distance earlier. This is because on a golf course some greens just can't be reached by the tee.
bryguy wrote:4) Maybe reword "reverts back to 5 neutral" to "reverts back to neutral 5"?

Hmm, not sure about this one. I don't know what would be better. Anyone else think it should be changed?
bryguy wrote:5) could u make the tee in the title more visible? (the white dot on it)

Can do.
bryguy wrote:6) heres an idea, maybe instead of the 'f' on the end of Golf, put in a golf club? (so that the part you hit the ball with is on the top and pointing that way -> )

I'll change it and see what it look like, but it might look really weird.
bryguy wrote:7) are you aloud to attack from the 7 beach to cairns coral area, AOE tee, and east wing?

Yes. I'll put something in the legend that explains the use of those paths.
bryguy wrote:8) maybe make it obvious if you can attack along the paths? (the concrete paths, right now you dont know if u can or cant)

Can do.
bryguy wrote:9) are u gonna rename the sand things on the course? cause having them all named 'b' isnt gonna work [-X

Yea, will have to. I'm not too keen on the B's either.

bryguy wrote:keep up the good work!

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Click image to enlarge.

A small update.
Version 7:
1. Tidied up the Bambogey Jack tee.
2. Gave the sand bunkers names relative to their hole name.
3. Added to the legend the fact that the gray paths are attack routes.
4. Changed golf cart depot to revert back to 6 neutral, not 5.
5. Darkened the ocean a little.
6. Made the golf ball on the tee up the top (next to Conquer CLUB Golf) more visible.
7. Made the loss of 1 army on bunkers more clear in the legend.
Last edited by Ethitts on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:39 pm

is each bunker worth -1? and isn't that kinda unfair for someone on the drop?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Ethitts on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:41 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:is each bunker worth -1? and isn't that kinda unfair for someone on the drop?

Yes each bunker is -1. Isn't that the case for many other maps? Otherwise, it could just be made that you can't get a bunker on the drop.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:43 pm

lol, if you can't get a bunker on the drop, why go after it? unless the bunkers are part of each hole...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Ethitts on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:49 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:lol, if you can't get a bunker on the drop, why go after it? unless the bunkers are part of each hole...

They are part of each hole and they're are on the border, which means you have to hold it but it's hard to defend (think Dust Bowl).
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:50 pm

ok, so each bunker is part of each hole, but you get a -1 to your overall bonus, or is it a depreciating value on that territory, because those are two different things...

example:

player x gets 2 armies for holding classic! hole
player x loses 1 army for holding classic! hole bunker

or

player x loses 1 army on classic! hole bunker
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Ethitts on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:53 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:ok, so each bunker is part of each hole, but you get a -1 to your overall bonus, or is it a depreciating value on that territory, because those are two different things...

example:

player x loses 1 army for holding classic! hole bunker

or

player x loses 1 army on classic! hole bunker

The one in bold.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:01 pm

ok, then the legend needs to be reworked to make that more clear