Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which path is better?

Total votes : 0

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:45 am

The map is a great concept. And very well presented. It would be a shame to let it die.

I could keep lobbing stuff at you all day if I though the map would stay alive.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf (Poll - should I continue?)

Postby Androidz on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:14 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Okey, but i never asked about the golfcart depot:O why did you mention that?

Yea sorry, I just felt like mentioning it.

hehe
Private Androidz

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf - Poll: should I continue?

Postby Ethitts on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi everyone, I have created a poll for this thread, but as you can see, it's not working correctly. Please don't vote until this issue is resolved.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby edbeard on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:08 pm

I think it's come a long way but there's a few things I don't like

Gameplay

1. Almost every hole is a one-way track. It'll get kinda boring. Add more things like 3,4 on the 8th hole (Cairns Coral Cart)

2. tees bombard the fairway but they obviously can't bombard the territory that touches the tee. But, if you make the map more interesting by taking away the linear nature, this'll add more places that can't be bombarded. The whole bombarded thing doesn't make much sense to me. Try to figure out something else that the tees can do. Maybe they can hit the fairway anywhere up to 300 yards or whatever a realistic yardage should be for a tee shot.

3. the legend isn't very clear on what the bonuses are. if it's for holding a whole hole, then you need to make what is part of one hold easy to distinguish. maybe a bonus for holding all the beach. maybe for holding all the greens or all the bunkers or something.

Graphics

1. The holes are boring for the most part. The bend on the fourth hole should be sharper so that it matters. Right now players can just shoot straight for the flag. Make them have to lay up straight so that curve is utilized.

2. similar to the first point, make bunkers and water hazards etc.. part of the course. put them in places players will be hitting their balls. Where the tee shot will hit. Right around the green.

3. Overall, you just have to make the whole course more interesting. Make it something a golfer will find challenging and interesting. I'm no golfer but I'm sure there's plenty on here. Find someone to help design your holes.

4. shouldn't there be a path from the 9th hole to the clubhouse? make the connections from greens to the next hole's tees more visible. A few are hardly noticeable.

5. maybe put some houses on the course. It'll be a nice change from the green which dominate the map.

6. try putting some thick brush on the map. it'll add some yellow/brown to the map.

good luck
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby laci_mae on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:27 am

I would be slightly less confused if the holes were numbered as they would be on the course. The territories could be "Hole 1 tee", "Hole 1 a", "Hole 1 b", and so on to "Hole 1 green". Bunkers and water hazards could have the number of their hole as well.

Some cart paths would be nice as well.

Just a thought.

Best,
L
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 am

edbeard wrote:I think it's come a long way but there's a few things I don't like

Gameplay

1. Almost every hole is a one-way track. It'll get kinda boring. Add more things like 3,4 on the 8th hole (Cairns Coral Cart)

Will do.

edbeard wrote:2. tees bombard the fairway but they obviously can't bombard the territory that touches the tee. But, if you make the map more interesting by taking away the linear nature, this'll add more places that can't be bombarded. The whole bombarded thing doesn't make much sense to me. Try to figure out something else that the tees can do. Maybe they can hit the fairway anywhere up to 300 yards or whatever a realistic yardage should be for a tee shot.

I did ask a while back what the tee's should do, but I didn't get much of a response. I will change them from bombard to attack and work out some kind of distance.

edbeard wrote:3. the legend isn't very clear on what the bonuses are. if it's for holding a whole hole, then you need to make what is part of one hold easy to distinguish. maybe a bonus for holding all the beach. maybe for holding all the greens or all the bunkers or something.

The legend was last on my to-do-list. It will be changed once I have sorted everything else out.

edbeard wrote:Graphics

1. The holes are boring for the most part. The bend on the fourth hole should be sharper so that it matters. Right now players can just shoot straight for the flag. Make them have to lay up straight so that curve is utilized.

I'll look into spicing things up a bit.

edbeard wrote:2. similar to the first point, make bunkers and water hazards etc.. part of the course. put them in places players will be hitting their balls. Where the tee shot will hit. Right around the green.

For quite a while I've been meaning to move the bunkers, right now they're in places that don't really add to the game play at all. That will be one of the first changes.

edbeard wrote:3. Overall, you just have to make the whole course more interesting. Make it something a golfer will find challenging and interesting. I'm no golfer but I'm sure there's plenty on here. Find someone to help design your holes.

With the suggestions you have made it should become more interesting.

edbeard wrote:4. shouldn't there be a path from the 9th hole to the clubhouse? make the connections from greens to the next hole's tees more visible. A few are hardly noticeable.

Yes. There is meant to be one, just hadn't put it in yet. I will work on making them more visible also.

edbeard wrote:5. maybe put some houses on the course. It'll be a nice change from the green which dominate the map.

6. try putting some thick brush on the map. it'll add some yellow/brown to the map.

good luck

Don't think I'll do houses, but I'll put some shrubbery in and add some colour.

Thankyou for your suggestions!
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:35 am

laci_mae wrote:I would be slightly less confused if the holes were numbered as they would be on the course. The territories could be "Hole 1 tee", "Hole 1 a", "Hole 1 b", and so on to "Hole 1 green". Bunkers and water hazards could have the number of their hole as well.

Some cart paths would be nice as well.

Just a thought.

Best,
L

I originally had the holes just 'hole 1', 'hole 2', 'hole 3' etc. That was shot down early on as golf-courses have named holes, usually to a theme also. I have gone with Conquer Club maps as my theme, with a golfing term spin-off.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby edbeard on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:38 am

paths are a good idea.

make the course itself look like a real course and one that golfers would say, "hey I want to play on that course". once that happens, everything else will follow.

possibly add some more depth and height to some of the holes. I'm not a golfer, but I don't think a totally flat course would be as challenging or fun as one with uphill and downhill. It'd only show slightly from this view but it'd still show in some spots.

I thought of a way to do the special attack from the tees graphically. Have a marker on each hole that lists 300 yards or something. Anything territory up to and including this point can be attacked from the tee.

Maybe make your legend into a scorecard?
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:42 am

edbeard wrote:paths are a good idea.

make the course itself look like a real course and one that golfers would say, "hey I want to play on that course". once that happens, everything else will follow.

possibly add some more depth and height to some of the holes. I'm not a golfer, but I don't think a totally flat course would be as challenging or fun as one with uphill and downhill. It'd only show slightly from this view but it'd still show in some spots.

I thought of a way to do the special attack from the tees graphically. Have a marker on each hole that lists 300 yards or something. Anything territory up to and including this point can be attacked from the tee.

Maybe make your legend into a scorecard?

Great ideas! Especially loving the scorecard idea. The hilly fairway as you have suggested might be a challenge for me graphically, but I'll give it a try. I'll incorporate your idea for the tee as well and see what kind of response I get. Thanks for idea's, keep em coming.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 am

Wonderful!

Postby bryguy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:59 am

uh.... the polls messed up!!

there is only no's.....

i want to vote yes!
Corporal bryguy

Postby laci_mae on Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:12 pm

I like the theme naming more as I look at it. It threw me at first, but no biggie.

It seems like the next update will be a major one. Possibly even starting from scratch and implementing the new ideas like cart paths, depth, and scorecard legend? If so, this might be a good time to fit the large (or small) map dimension criteria.

Maybe one of the fairways should get really narrow in the middle? That always makes for a challenging hole.

Sorry for all the random thoughts. I'm on board with this map, and can't wait to see it develop.

Best,
Laci

Postby mibi on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:26 pm

I like the graphics on this one.... it has a nice late 1980's VGA vibe to it.
Captain mibi

Postby oaktown on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey ethitts, just stumbled in and saw the poll... either I'm not sure if I should laugh at how funny it is that we can only vote no (and in so many ways) or if this is one of those cases of a user trying to delete/change a poll after somebody had already voted, which always has unintended results.

PM me if you want me to remove the poll so you can start over.
Captain oaktown

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 am

oaktown wrote:Hey ethitts, just stumbled in and saw the poll... either I'm not sure if I should laugh at how funny it is that we can only vote no (and in so many ways) or if this is one of those cases of a user trying to delete/change a poll after somebody had already voted, which always has unintended results.

PM me if you want me to remove the poll so you can start over.

I sent a PM to gimil, he said he was looking into it but that it looked as though it was a PHP bug.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 am

I have decided to update this map a little at a time, rather than 1 big update.

Click image to enlarge.

1. Added a river/ditch. I have noticed some golf courses have these, hopefully this adds "difficulty" to the course and make it look more in-depth.
2. Made the top-left hole have a sharp curve at the end to create the feel of "difficulty" in the course.
3. Made many holes have more territories to take away the linear feel. More may need to be added.
4. The tee's now can attack any territory 300 yards in distance. That is what the line and 300 marker are for.
5. Hopefully made the paths between holes clearer.
6. Changed paths/bunkers so that they are actually a disadvantage on the map. Some are still in places that won't have any impact.
7. Created a track between the 9th hole and the club.

As you can see the territory names and legend have been taken away temporarily while I update the other aspects of the map.

To do list:
1. Add more colour to the map other than green.
2. Make the course have a more "difficult" feel.
3. Move some bunkers in places where they will impact the game play.
4. Create a nice-looking legend
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby bryguy on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:08 am

looking good! =D>

i love the river-thing to!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:12 am

A step forward for sure!

One quibble though. I think that the stream should move near at least one of the pins. To make it more of a hazard. Right now it moves throught the middle of three of greens. If you were actually golfing this place, these three would look like the same hole.

Otherwise, I'm loving this. The extra color really helped the map for me too! Good work!

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:31 pm

What do people think of the Tee's and 300 markers?
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby UCAbears on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:32 pm

I love golf and this map looks pretty good.
Cook UCAbears

Postby edbeard on Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:09 pm

I still think some of those waterfront areas could be used for houses (especially the 7 and 8 holes). Unless people really really hook their shots, they at least won't be affected from a practical we're building a real golf course point of view

how far is the average drive because shouldn't the par 3 green be within a normal one shot range? I think the tee should be able to hit anywhere on that hole. Is 300 long, short, or just right?

I know you haven't had the time but we still need brush/rough on here (helps get rid of all the green by adding a dark yellow / light brown)

I like the four hole. It seems really tough now. Probably a par 5 huh?

I still think the holes needs to have thicker borders than the regular territory borders. You want people to be able to tell where one hole ends and another begins.

all the other changes seem ok
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ethitts on Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 am

Click image to enlarge.

Version 3/4:
1. Made the borders of holes more visible.
2. Created a mini lake (pond) on the 3rd and 9th holes.
3. Added some different coloured trees. I know they are just a lighter shade of green, but if I put in browney/red trees it just looks weird!
4. Chucked on a legend. Tried to give it a Golf score card feel.
5. Added territory names.
Last edited by Ethitts on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:43 am

WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!

Are the spaces within the 300yrd markers attackable from the tee????? This is a big improvement, I think.

Did anyone else notice that the ponds are different colors? I'm not diggin on all the green, but I'm starting to not care.

GOOD JOB!!!

Postby laci_mae on Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:52 pm

No golf course is complete without the 19th hole!

L

Postby Androidz on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:11 pm

i like the 300 makers thing you made up but i think you should make diffrent markers. Like some hits Hole in one since its an easyer course, some dont hit as far. So make it Diffrent markers.

And im not so sure i like the lines clussing into the terretories, maybe you can add a golfball where the Tee hits? Well this is a small thing, and it might just look weird.

Also the bunkers, i cant see why any1 need to conquer the bunkers, their not in the way so they dont need that -1 bonus if you make them a part of the "Continent" then i see why the -.
Private Androidz

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box