Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which path is better?

Total votes : 0

Re: Conquer CLUB Golf - New paths - poll

Postby MrBenn on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:04 pm

The consensus seems to be that the graphics need a bit of work... Here are some pictures from google:

More importantly than the graphics however, is the gameplay... I'm still not convinced by the way that everything is set up and laid out at the moment... get the structure right first, and then let the graphics improve ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:16 pm

I research this thing for the Newsletter and I get my name invoked. Geez, people expect me to lurk in threads or something. ;)

So on the trees. Here's the basis that DiM gave me for how to change the brush. You end up with what I term an "inconsistent brush", giving you half-tones of the original color all over the place.

DiM wrote:shape dynamics>
> size jitter 100%
> minimum diameter 0%
> angle jitter 0%
> roundness jitter 68%
> min roundness 25%

scatter> adjust as you please dependng on what you need

colour dynamics>
>fore/back 100%
> saturation 50%
the rest at 0%

and check smoothing.

I made my brush color straight black and used a decent size of this brush preset above. Then I painted around in what I considered a tree to look like, varying the shapes as much as I felt like (I was able to come up with 21 or so different trees on The Citadel, so it's do-able). Then I adjusted the tree layer's hue to be some shade of green. To complete the effect, I would switch to a smaller and more consistent brush, keep the black, and add in random specks of black to make it look more like a tree with some shadow on it. Note that all the trees I made were made at a scale 4-5 times larger than the version that actually appeared on the map. That way I could reduce their size to Small and Large and experience no quality loss at all.

Best of luck on it, and look for my write-up on your map tomorrow in the 8th Issue.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby laci_mae on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:38 pm

So sorry Tac. I meant to copy you on that comment, but I got busy and forgot.

I stand behind the sentiment though. You had several trials with your trees, and they turned out fantastic.

Best,
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby mibi on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:12 pm

I have no idea how the gameplay will turn out, but graphically, this is one of the most cohesive maps out there. Well done.

The title needs sprucing up though.
Captain mibi

Postby Ethitts on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:54 pm

mibi wrote:I have no idea how the gameplay will turn out, but graphically, this is one of the most cohesive maps out there. Well done.

Cheers mibi. It's comments like that, mixed with others on the opposite perspective, that confuse me as to where I should go with this map (graphics-wise). Looks like the wooden paths were most popular, so I will incorporate those in certain places. I think a new poll may be needed though - Stating: "Are the graphics on the right track? Or is a complete revamp needed?"

EDIT: Of course the tree's need replacing though.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby mibi on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:54 am

Ethitts wrote:
mibi wrote:I have no idea how the gameplay will turn out, but graphically, this is one of the most cohesive maps out there. Well done.

Cheers mibi. It's comments like that, mixed with others on the opposite perspective, that confuse me as to where I should go with this map (graphics-wise). Looks like the wooden paths were most popular, so I will incorporate those in certain places. I think a new poll may be needed though - Stating: "Are the graphics on the right track? Or is a complete revamp needed?"

EDIT: Of course the tree's need replacing though.

The graphics are fine. They have a 80's pastel, pixelated feel, and it fits perfectly with the map. Golf courses are for relaxation and leisure, this maps says that.

I am not sure who your detractors are but they may be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
Captain mibi

Postby e_i_pi on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:12 pm

First time I've posted in this thread I believe.

I don't like golf, but I like this map. The gameplay would be really good, I don't think we have a map with attack routes like the tees, so that would make for interesting gameplay and tactics. The name of the holes are fantastic.

I think the trees need some work, maybe just more types of trees. The tree stamps themselves look fine, but there's only two types that I can see, need a fair few more if you're going to use 150-200 trees.

I think the fairway texture could use a bit of work, maybe a new texture completely. You do get the feel for it being grassy, but it all runs in a WNW-ESE direction, which doesn't give each hole a sense of being a continent by itself.

The beaches and docks looks great, as well as the club house. It's a nice style, very laid back and neat.

The concrete path leading from the Golf Cart Depot to Classic Tee almost looks bevelled, but I think thats from the trees and shadows. Maybe shift those trees out the way of the path a tiny bit to give the path the same aesthetic as the other paths?

Some of the bunkers and beaches look a little bit pixelly, but that's because of the colours dark green and bone/cream being next to each other. I've had this very same problem myself, I've had to use completely different layer styles and blur filters to resolve it due to the big difference in hue.

Keep going with this. I haven't seen it move forward much lately which is a shame. This is the sort of map I could see myself playing again and again.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Natewolfman on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm

definately wooden
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:27 pm

I am an avid golfer and have been for more than 30 years. I love this idea and hope to be able to play it someday.
Cook dolomite13

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:23 pm

MrBenn, why is this thread still stickied?
Ethitt's most recent post was on September 26th....
Almost a month without the mapmaker commenting, shouldn't this be going to the Scrap Heap?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby MrBenn on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:43 pm

This map has been moved into retirement.

It would appear that development of this map has stalled, as there have not been any updates for some time.

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the CAs will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system ;-)

Mr B
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby phantomzero on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:35 pm

It's too bad this map has been stalled for nearly a year. A Golf Map seems like a great idea.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Previous

Return to Recycling Box