Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Calabria

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

is the new background better

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] - Calabria

Postby shadowsteel9 on Fri May 16, 2008 10:32 pm

I decided to make a map very close to my heart, and share a piece of myself with the rest of CC. Here is a map of my family's homeland, a region of Italy called Calabria.

Alright here's Version 3, I completely redid the background and a few other things, hope you enjoy.

Click image to enlarge.

Done-
fixed the reversed vineyard
redid the background
moved terit. names around to fit better
To Do-
Add compass rose
clear up legend
what ever else is suggested

Version 1 http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/shadowsteel9/Calabria.jpg
Version 2
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll39/shadowsteel9/Calabria3.jpg
Name- Calabria
Number of Territs-35
Number of Continents-5

Game play- Regular as of now, new ideas are welcome.
Last edited by shadowsteel9 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Corporal shadowsteel9

Re: Calabria- A region of Italy

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 16, 2008 10:54 pm

A decent start, graphics-wise. It'll need to come up a significant bit, but you'll be able to smooth out the "rough edges" that ARE present on the map. Right now it's Indochina-style bottlenecking. I would suggest connecting the north and the south parts of the map by some ocean routes of some sort.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby edbeard on Sat May 17, 2008 12:53 am

shadowsteel9 wrote:(Disclaimer- This map is not and does not claim to be geographically accurate)

How off is it? It's one thing to bend and stretch. Another entirely just to make stuff up all around. I'd assume the territories are based on city names in those regions. But, how were continent borders and territory borders formed?

I don't see the point of a geographical map that doesn't attempt to be true to life. So when I see you say that it makes me wonder why is this map being made.

Again, I don't know how much is made up and how much is real. I think that's important to know up front.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat May 17, 2008 5:19 am

You have to make it as geographically accurate as possible.

Change one of the Italian flags and use the Regione Calabria flag. I am sure you will find it online.

I don't know if Gimp is enough to make a decent looking map but good luck!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby steve monkey on Sat May 17, 2008 6:25 am

I think that there are too many territories for the map to work. This is a very 'niche' map. Ask yourself, will this map get played by the wider cc community? What is unique with this map?
As it stands therefore, I think that if you want this to move forward, you will have to put a bit more thought into it.
Best of luck.

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby shadowsteel9 on Sat May 17, 2008 8:53 am

edbeard wrote:
shadowsteel9 wrote:(Disclaimer- This map is not and does not claim to be geographically accurate)

How off is it? It's one thing to bend and stretch. Another entirely just to make stuff up all around. I'd assume the territories are based on city names in those regions. But, how were continent borders and territory borders formed?

I don't see the point of a geographical map that doesn't attempt to be true to life. So when I see you say that it makes me wonder why is this map being made.

Again, I don't know how much is made up and how much is real. I think that's important to know up front.

Every calabria map i find is different, and none of them have shown actual boarders, just dots where the city name is, i will though try to make it more accurate
Corporal shadowsteel9

Postby RjBeals on Sat May 17, 2008 5:17 pm

shadow - nice first draft for just starting to use gimp for this map. You've already surpassed many idea's that come through here. I use photoshop, but I'm sure gimp is basically the same - remember to always keep as much as you can on separate layers. It will help you tons when you need to revise. And Ruben is a neighbour from Malta - so he will be a good resource.

As far as the map - I like what you did with the oceans, but I think you over did it. soften / blur that a bit and I think you'll be good there.

Your colour choices look good - nothing too similar. Very clear regions.

You'll find that people here are very picky about smooth good looking borders. It's a key to get map approval. You'll need to practice with your borders. I personally don't mind pixilated borders (ala Marvaddin & Brazil) - but they'll never pass now. Marv was one of the first map makers for this site.

Also you've got a rather large non-playable map area. You may need to look at rotating the map a bit to put it on an angle. Like Italy is. Then just add a compass to show true north.

Anyway - Good Luck. try not to abandon this. I'll offer whatever support I can. My family (grandparents) also came to the US from Sicily. I created the Italy map.
Private RjBeals

Postby shadowsteel9 on Sat May 17, 2008 10:15 pm

A have begun work on draft 2, which will be more geographically correct, as well as a few other suggestions
Corporal shadowsteel9

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri May 23, 2008 7:16 pm

i dont think theres much bottle necking... as the bottom most continent and top most continent are separated by 2 territs....

you could make it work. zoom in more on the area, make it bigger, make it more accurate, maybe use some geographically relevant flags and colors. you could lessen bottlenecking with some isles, as i know there are many in that mediterranean region
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby shadowsteel9 on Sun May 25, 2008 2:26 pm

workin on version 2 but can't find a font that works well, ne suggestions
Corporal shadowsteel9

Postby seamusk on Sun May 25, 2008 3:36 pm

I like maps that are based on folks home regions. I would like to see more that represents what is unique or neat about this region of Italy. Whether its topography that affects gameplay or features of national significance or whatever. Bring out the character of the area if you can. I look forward to it.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby RjBeals on Tue May 27, 2008 7:58 am

Try here:

http://www.1001freefonts.com/old-english-fonts.htm

Lots of fonts you can download for free.
Private RjBeals

Re: Calabria- A region of Italy Version 2

Postby shadowsteel9 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:06 pm

I experimented with the font for the cities, and am still having a hard time. I hope you enjoy Version 2.
Corporal shadowsteel9

Postby rocky mountain on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:13 pm

i like it.
just a few things though:
maybe use a different texture for the ocean? they look like bubbles right now...
the Borgia vineyard is flipped.
i think Amantea could fit inside its terit. the way it is right now it gets mixed in with Lamenzia Tenme. if Amantea goes up it will look less confusing
what is that thing in Cantazaro and S.G. in Fiore?
i think Reggio di Calabria should be +3 not +4
i like it. glad you incorperated the vineyards
good job and good luck! :D
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby shadowsteel9 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:29 pm

[quote="rocky mountain"]i like it.
just a few things though:

maybe use a different texture for the ocean? they look like bubbles right now...
*Will Do, was thinking about making it look like parchment, or maybe putting it all behind the calabrian flag, and eliminating it from that corner

the Borgia vineyard is flipped.
*That was meant to fit it better in the area, if you say it will look better, i'll flip it

i think Amantea could fit inside its terit. the way it is right now it gets mixed in with Lamenzia Tenme. if Amantea goes up it will look less confusing
* considered

what is that thing in Cantazaro and S.G. in Fiore?
*A mountain, but for some reason it didn't come out like the others even though i created them the same way. it's 2 small to really make a difference, so i'll probabally delete it for next update

i think Reggio di Calabria should be +3 not +4
* Let's see what the rest of CC thinks

Thanks for the tips, most of which will be incorporated in next update
Corporal shadowsteel9

Re: Calabria VERSION 3, pg 1 Updated 6-11-08

Postby shadowsteel9 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:58 am

Here's version 3, I followed alot of your suggestions rocky mountain, with the exception of changing the bonus #s.
Corporal shadowsteel9

Return to Recycling Box