Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Era of the Three Kingdoms

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 2

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Wei was the biggest at the time, why is Wu bigger?

Because its the best I can do with the geography.

Ans ill make the sea route curved :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 25, 2008 1:34 pm

I think that sea-line should be an arrow... like the one-way attack arrow between Tiang Shui and Yong
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 1:37 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I think that sea-line should be an arrow... like the one-way attack arrow between Tiang Shui and Yong

Its not a one way attack though.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 25, 2008 1:38 pm

gimil wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I think that sea-line should be an arrow... like the one-way attack arrow between Tiang Shui and Yong

A double-headed arrow, maybe? Or curve it. Or do both.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby InkL0sed on Sun May 25, 2008 1:39 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
gimil wrote:

A double-headed arrow, maybe? Or curve it. Or do both.

I was thinking both.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 2:17 pm

I would prefer a dotted curved line.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Sun May 25, 2008 3:10 pm

Cruved line :D

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 3

Postby t-o-m on Sun May 25, 2008 4:16 pm

is that the same font as the one you used for the fuedal title?
i think it needs changing slightly, although i think it suits this better than feudal.

the terit names are a tad hard to read, maybe add a tiny stroke on there at a lower ocpacity?
i think that more theme in this map would be great - so this is like chinese so maybe add some of those cool east-asian castles or something of a bhudist religion theme?
the terit boarder from Bei Ping West to bei ping port isnt very visible, that needs a lil work
is the grey on the outside changing slightly?

also ide like to make this an [adv. idea] ;)
lol
Major t-o-m

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun May 25, 2008 5:29 pm

The dotted line is fine, though I think slightly longer dashes might look better, maybe?

I think the middle part of Wei needs to have a larger bonus. It has 9 territories with 6 borders for a bonus of 5 right now. The west part of Wu gets the same bonus, but only have 5 territories and 5 borders. I'd bump the center part of Wei up to 6 or maybe even 7?

Or maybe split it into two continents? You could make Yong part of the west Wei bonus. I'd keep that as a +1, though, as it's totally linear and only needs to be defended by one territory. You could then make Bing, Ji, and Ben Hai part of north Wei and change that bonus to, say, a +3 (similar to east Wu, the other +3, which has one less territory and the same number of borders). This leaves Chang An, Jei Ting, Xu Change, He Fei, and Xia Pi as a 5 territory continent with 5 borders, identical to west Wu and deserving of its current +5.

Or something like that. Unless your current subcontinent divisions are based on some historical reality that I don't know about. Then your best bet is to just make center Wei a higher bonus.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 26, 2008 8:38 pm

The graphics of this map oddly remind me of Portugal...:) I think it's the general color choice for the continents and the nonplayable area.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 am

i THINK nan is jing nan and but sum confirmation would be great, im pretty sure tung an is wuxing and im pretty sure jian ling is yu zhang meanwhile Lin - Ch'uan is Lin Hai.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue May 27, 2008 11:56 am

Api-Yai is Yong Chang, yueh sui is Yunnan and Jianti divided into two. Tsang-ke is Zhuti.

pa-tung is Han Zhong, wu-tu is yin ping and Fu lin is Baxi and Ba dong (left-right) divided straight down. Yong-an is Ba.

i can provide maps if needed.

Postby gimil on Tue May 27, 2008 12:10 pm

An image speaks a thousand words :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 27, 2008 12:19 pm

gimil wrote:An image speaks a thousand words :)

yeh i was going to say - did anyone get any of that!?
other than terit names, gimil, what have you planned?
Major t-o-m

Postby RjBeals on Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 pm

The territ names are a bit hard to read, especially green. I suggest either putting some sort of outer glow on the text, or darkening it some. The smooth borders look great. And you your rivers do as well. I would suggest to keep this from feeling so flat, put some sort of outer glow on the land areas to the sea. Doesn't have to be much. But maybe make the outer glow a deeper blue, or a dark color. Also your non-playable land areas (gray) look very dull. Are there any mountains or textures you could add? Maybe add some monochromatic noise, then use an artistic filter to give some sort of cool texture. Mountains are okay - they get the point across. A little cartoony, but will do.

But I like the map - classic gameplay and very easy to follow gameplay.
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Tue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Rewroked alot of stuff.

1. Added a shadow around alot of stuff
2. darkened the water colour
3. New font on the terr names
4. Rearranged a bunch of stuff.
5. New texture to the dead land.

Probably other stuff I have missed out.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue May 27, 2008 9:59 pm

I like the crisp border between Wu, Wei, and the sea. Could you try to replicate that darkness/crispness in the border between Shu and the unplayable land? Same with Wu and the unplayable area. Wei's border with the unplayable land looks nice.

Also, I think you missed this, from earlier:
ZeakCytho wrote:I think the middle part of Wei needs to have a larger bonus. It has 9 territories with 6 borders for a bonus of 5 right now. The west part of Wu gets the same bonus, but only have 5 territories and 5 borders. I'd bump the center part of Wei up to 6 or maybe even 7?

Or maybe split it into two continents? You could make Yong part of the west Wei bonus. I'd keep that as a +1, though, as it's totally linear and only needs to be defended by one territory. You could then make Bing, Ji, and Ben Hai part of north Wei and change that bonus to, say, a +3 (similar to east Wu, the other +3, which has one less territory and the same number of borders). This leaves Chang An, Jei Ting, Xu Change, He Fei, and Xia Pi as a 5 territory continent with 5 borders, identical to west Wu and deserving of its current +5.

Or something like that. Unless your current subcontinent divisions are based on some historical reality that I don't know about. Then your best bet is to just make center Wei a higher bonus.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby edbeard on Tue May 27, 2008 10:09 pm

I dunno. Presumably you're holding at least East Wei at the same time as South Wei. This is a 3 border continent of 11 territories and a +6. Seems fine to me.

Most of those borders you're talking about come from East Wei and I think it's pretty safe to assume you'll almost never hold South Wei and not East Wei.

I'm more concerned about how if you hold all of Wu, you have 6 borders and only get a +12 whilst Wei has 3 borders and gives a +9. You can also hold Shu with 3 territories (if you take Wuling) and get a +8.

I think the bonuses for individual continents are fine but when combined I think they become skewed. How often will this come into play though? South Wei will presumably be held very rarely. While East and West Wei will be held 99.5% of the time.

I think looking at changing the Wei continents to have more realistically held continents is a good idea. But if it's not historically accurate then I think what we have currently is pretty decent.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby gimil on Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 am

The two smaller wei contients are historical regions. The larger one is jsut the left overs of wei. I would rather not split the large continent for graphics regions. Right now I have light, dark and midtone for the continent colors. If I gave wei an extra color I may upset the balance I currently have. I may be more open to expanding one of the smaler wei contients. But if its not much of an issue I could rather keep it the way ti is :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed May 28, 2008 11:36 am

Is the image you posted going to be the actual size of the small version of the map?

Some of the text is a bit hard to read. Can you make the text on the Green regions a bit darker? I know that you want to keep the text a different shade of the regions' colour but Bei Ping West would look much better if it was a lighter colour...perhaps a lighter shade of blue. The Western red region's text would be more legible if you used the dark red colour used for the East side as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby sam_levi_11 on Wed May 28, 2008 12:08 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:Api-Yai is Yong Chang, yueh sui is Yunnan and Jianti divided into two. Tsang-ke is Zhuti.

pa-tung is Han Zhong, wu-tu is yin ping and Fu lin is Baxi and Ba dong (left-right) divided straight down. Yong-an is Ba.

i can provide maps if needed.

ok the prob with this map is that it only has the names of them not the borders of their provinces so u have to compare with your map

sam_levi_11 wrote:i THINK nan is jing nan and but sum confirmation would be great, im pretty sure tung an is wuxing and im pretty sure jian ling is yu zhang meanwhile Lin - Ch'uan is Lin Hai.

so i dunno how u split yeuh sui but its two

Re: The Era of the Three Kingdoms - Page 4

Postby gimil on Fri May 30, 2008 10:26 am

Change the darkness of some terr names and tried to make black borders more crisp.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Out of curiosity, what do blue army numbers look like on the dark Wei territories?

Also, this seems like an advanced idea to me now.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:11 pm

Wow, CC mapmakers love making maps of China! I like the escalating bonuses on this one - classic gameplay with a twist.'

My initial thought is that overall the map seems a bit cluttered right now... main map, three inset maps, chinese characters, region names, and major bonus legend under the title; elements need to be set apart somehow.

Anyhow, consider yourself stickied. :)
Captain oaktown

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:23 pm

There are some weirdnesses in the text that im noticing now... for example, Jian Ling has a pretty big space. Also Tsang- K'e...

The quote is a good idea, but i like:
Zhuge Liang wrote:Do the unexpected, attack the unprepared.

Just nitpicking, the mini-map for Northern Shu has a strange little line coming out of the right side...

Congratz on Idea Passed :) Cant wait to play this one!

edit: Oaktown, shouldn't this be moved... :?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box