Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Zodiac Map

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Zodiac Map(v6.4.5 on First post and page 16)

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am

The first one is marked "free for personal use" so you can't use it here...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: Zodiac Map(v6.4.5 on First post and page 16)

Postby rsacheli on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:01 am

i changed the font and now need to adjust the glows on them to make them more readable... update coming very soon!
Private rsacheli

Location: Im your neighbor... I have 100 armies with me... What are you going to do?

Re: Zodiac Map(v7 on First post and page 18)

Postby rsacheli on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Private rsacheli

Location: Im your neighbor... I have 100 armies with me... What are you going to do?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:24 am

Well, this map got a whole lot sexier. Maybe use a secondary font for the smaller text, it's a tad hard to read. And the Spring/Summer/Winter/Fall thing at the top-right is really squished, see if you can make it less. And maybe explore new background images, this one doesn't have really anything distinguishable. Also, change your signature font.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:42 am

If you are no longer doing the elements and the seasons, then maybe the colours need to be unified. I mean, if Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces are all winter blue in the legend, shouldn't they be the same on the map?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Victor Sullivan on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:10 pm

ender516 wrote:If you are no longer doing the elements and the seasons, then maybe the colours need to be unified. I mean, if Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces are all winter blue in the legend, shouldn't they be the same on the map?

Well, the issue there is they're all adjacent bonus areas, so it'd be hard to distinguish between them.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:13 pm

Then change the legend to use the proper colours. The seasons are denoted by the symbols on the troop circles. Of course, those will be hidden by the numbers, which is why I originally suggested (I think) that the symbols surround the circles, so that they would be more visible.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:54 am

ender516 wrote:Then change the legend to use the proper colours. The seasons are denoted by the symbols on the troop circles. Of course, those will be hidden by the numbers, which is why I originally suggested (I think) that the symbols surround the circles, so that they would be more visible.

Which is another reason we are allowing this to go supersize a tad bit to make it clearer.

rsacheli, are you working on a slightly larger version to help with the clarity issues? If so can we please see the larger sizes?
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby rsacheli on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I havent started making a larger version... yet... I want to try to keep this size if I can...
I will change the glows to make it more readable...
Ill also play with expanding the season markings beyond the circles...

As for my signature font, whats wrong with that? It should be different from the main font so that its not confused with the rest of the map text?
Private rsacheli

Postby rsacheli on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Private rsacheli

Re: Zodiac Map(v7.1 on First post and page 18)

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:58 pm

Well those few changes look better. But you are going to have to make this small bigger so that the 888's don't overlap each other in a few spots. Upsize this to 700x670 for the small and put the 888's on it so we can see them please. I don't think you will have to go any larger than this for the small, as for the large you probably won't have to go any bigger, but I'll let my other carto's give their opinion as well.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby rsacheli on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:34 pm

when did it switch to 888? it used to be just 88 and if it went triple digits then it remained centered on the circle and that was that...
Private rsacheli

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 pm

rsacheli wrote:when did it switch to 888? it used to be just 88 and if it went triple digits then it remained centered on the circle and that was that...

Actually, just the fist 2 8's are centered.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby rsacheli on Sat May 07, 2011 6:14 pm

on vacation next two weeks, no updates will be posted, but i might get a chance to work on it a bit...
Private rsacheli

Postby OliverFA on Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Hello! Don't know if that's been asked before. So forgive me if I am repeating the question. But I wonder why the sign shapes are not present in the map. Having such a clear and definite theme, it seems natural that the signs can be seen in the map. At least the outlines of the constellations. Also, shouldn't the stars in the map mirror the real stars in the sky?
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri May 13, 2011 12:31 am

Hey you dropped Papyrus! Good decision.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby isaiah40 on Fri May 13, 2011 10:09 am

To start with, the few changes you have done have improved this map in some respects. This map has lots of potential, though as it stands right now, this map just does not say Zodiac. I would go back to page 17 and read what some others have suggested, which you have turned down for no good reason. Use the larger size for the small map and incorporate those suggestions. For example, do the outline of the constellations - this will add to the theme of the map - and then you can space out the constellations a bit more for CLARITY reasons. It's fine that you want to try and keep the size you have for the small map, but it just isn't going to work. It will be way too crowded.

Take off the season names in the legend, and then you can add a little more space between the letters to make them easier to read. The Black Hole - use the sun or earth instead, again these go with the theme. I would personally go with the sun, because for all intensive purposes, the sun is a star. You mentioned this:
I will not use someone elses drawings.

You don't have to use someone elses drawings, you can trace them and then they will be your own. The point is, you really need to incorporate these ideas into this map because THEY FIT THE THEME!

On another note, you will need to make the large map before we can send you to the forge.

So to recap here are the list of things needing to be done (with a couple extra things to do):

1 - Incorporate those ideas from page 17 into the map
2 - Make the small map 700x670 so that everything will be clearer and easy to read
3 - Change the Black Hole to either the Sun or the Earth
4 - Trace the outlines of the constellation pictures if need be and place them on the map
5 - Remove the season names from the legend and increase the spacing between the letters
6 - Make the large map
7 - Do a color blind test by going to Vischeck, and post the results here
8 - Post both large and your new supersize small map with the 888's on them
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby isaiah40 on Mon May 30, 2011 2:16 pm

okay rsacheli, are you getting an update ready? I will be back in a couple of weeks for a review of what you have posted.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby rsacheli on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:07 am

isaiah40 wrote:
So to recap here are the list of things needing to be done (with a couple extra things to do):

1 - Incorporate those ideas from page 17 into the map
2 - Make the small map 700x670 so that everything will be clearer and easy to read
3 - Change the Black Hole to either the Sun or the Earth
4 - Trace the outlines of the constellation pictures if need be and place them on the map
5 - Remove the season names from the legend and increase the spacing between the letters
6 - Make the large map
7 - Do a color blind test by going to Vischeck, and post the results here
8 - Post both large and your new supersize small map with the 888's on them

the sun or earth dont make any more sense than the black hole... nor would any explination as to why the earth would reset and decay those around it... the sun I can see but not for the worm-holes...
constellation pictures would clutter this map too much even in a larger more spread out version... and I am not that great an artist to create the images myself...
Private rsacheli

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:06 pm

rsacheli wrote:the sun or earth dont make any more sense than the black hole... nor would any explination as to why the earth would reset and decay those around it... the sun I can see but not for the worm-holes...
constellation pictures would clutter this map too much even in a larger more spread out version... and I am not that great an artist to create the images myself...

So put the sun in place of the Black Hole.

Have you made the supersize small map with the constellation outlines? If not how do you know that it would still be cluttered?

If you can't do the outlines yourself, ask around for help. I'm sure there is someone that would be willing to help you with them.

This map does have potential, it just needs the tweaks I have mentioned (not to mention others have as well) to raise it up a couple of notches. So that being said, go back and reread page 17, and my remarks about what needs to be done to get this map moved on into the Final Forge.

You do these things, and we'll get it moved up for you.

Isaiah40
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby RedBaron0 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 pm

I said a lot of these same things a very long time ago. It's just so difficult to see a map of the Zodiac without seeing the zodiac! Lets pump this puppy up, you've got a great concept lets get the graphics to match!
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby rsacheli on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 am

working on it... but its slow going... life is very busy right now
Private rsacheli

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:44 pm

rsacheli, hi.
I have long been a student of the zodiac.
2 things i feel would enhance the map...
1. if you're going to have the seasons on the map, then you need to rename the map "Zodiac - Northern Hemisphere". We in the south celebrate Taurus in Autum - i am an autumn birth.
2. I would prefer to see the zodiac symbols somehow on the map, for traditional assocation. You can take basic images from the internet and re-draw over them. it would give the map that extra finish.
Perhaps something like this
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:53 pm

cairnswk wrote:rsacheli, hi.
I have long been a student of the zodiac.
2 things i feel would enhance the map...
1. if you're going to have the seasons on the map, then you need to rename the map "Zodiac - Northern Hemisphere". We in the south celebrate Taurus in Autum - i am an autumn birth.
2. I would prefer to see the zodiac symbols somehow on the map, for traditional assocation. You can take basic images from the internet and re-draw over them. it would give the map that extra finish.
Perhaps something like this

I definitely agree with this. It would add a little more umpth to the theme. I also feel that the background a far to washed out and doesn't add to the the overall theme of the map. I think something more fitting would be a picture of the milky way with the the black whole in the picture aligned with the black hole on the map.

Click image to enlarge.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RedBaron0 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:33 am

That'd work pretty well too since the Milky Way is a barred spiral...
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box