Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - New Zealand

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 2 - p1 & p11 - NEW CARTO

Postby sailorseal on Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:34 pm

Incandenza wrote:I'm glad to see this map back in the foundry... Of course, that being said...

The overall level of connectivity is pretty high, which is impressive in so linear a geographical subject, but the bonuses are still really brutal. In a way I'm kinda bummed the outlying islands were lost, as they provided the only other really plausible bonus along with the northern +2.
I whole heartily agree with this. I would also like to see outer islands returned. I am not sure about those being the only two "plausible" bonuses

Let me put it another way: you've got one easily-attainable bonus with 2 borders. The next one down has 4, then 6, 5, and finally 4 (working south). It'd be nice to find a way for a southern bonus to only have 3 borders and provide some sort of counterpoint to the northern +2. I'm not 100% sure how best that would be accomplished, it could be as simple as moving the Canterbury sealane from Otago to North Otago (tho I imagine there's a better way). If not, then you might want to think about reducing that +2 to a +1.

I think there are far to many dotted connections, look back at my comment before
Cook sailorseal

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05 pm

The New Zealand flag has a very slight distortion to it that makes me think you got a lower-pixel image off of Google Image search. Here's a bigger copy that shouldn't distort: CIA World Factbook
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:45 pm

Moneymatt wrote:love the idea. go kiwi's

but......i have the idesa that the waiarapa isnt quite directly to the right. wellington takes the whole of the bottom part of the island.

should i get rid of wairapa?
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:35 am

No, Wellington as a region takes the whole lower south island, but as a district stands as it is, Wairarapa is correct in being there.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun May 10, 2009 11:28 am

ok, v3
i changed the flag to a coat of arms
put in all of the bonus names
added a little glow to the ocean names
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 3 - p1 & p12 - NEW CARTO

Postby Incandenza on Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 am

Not to be a wet blanket, but while the new update certainly looks good, there remain gameplay issues that are as yet unresolved...
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby TaCktiX on Sun May 24, 2009 7:54 am

I don't see the need to put Canterbury on two lines. Nothing is in the way for it not to just keep on going over. If it looks bad without the hyphen, disregard. Also, "Population >4,000,000" would look better as "Population ~4,000,000". We don't know what the full population is, just approximately what it's at. At least, that's census-speak. ;)
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun May 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Let's have at it, shall we? I need a good graphics post :)

• The coat of arms is blurry. I like it better than the flag, though. Take the image from here, convert to smart object and scale to your will ;)
  • The title's rather plain. Though I know you're going for the textbook theme, I'd like to see it spruced up a bit. Make it really … New Zealandish.
  • You can fit the names in the terts. IMO, it doesn't matter if you override some borders — it's annoying to have the names floating in the sea. In some cases (Taranaki), you don't even need them in the sea to fit! I don't mind it in the minimap, but there's just such an excess of seaborne names it's annoying. In some areas you won't even need to!
  • A small note in the key: can you use colons instead of hyphens (i.e. Population: >4,173,460)
  • The routes are a bit … off: A couple things: first, I think reducing the size of the dots would help out; second they're not smooth. take the pen tool and trace the routes again, setting the brushes like you want them (I'd say it's x-1 px @ 200% spacing), then control click and "stroke path."
  • The sea names are too big and "out there." I'd reduce them in size a ton, putting them into one line and lowering the opacity, perhaps halving it.
  • The sea doesn't fit the land. I think it's been said before, but worth repeating. Your land terrain is exceptional — realistic, well-shown, etc. However, the land is minimalist, not really fitting that theme. I think if you were to find some good water images (Google Earth and the like), it would fly much better. Also, a water texture in really really low scale (adding to the zoomed-out feel) could work, though go with the first option. Just thinking out loud here, maybe you'd add a glow from the land, a gradient on the water, etc.
  • The borders are a little to integrated. They seem a bit too into the map — blended in. They're borders: you need them out there! A small outer glow would do the trick :)
  • Perhaps… you could add a representation in the dead lower-right area about where NZ is, not for educational purposes (per say), but rather for a nice image. Enclosed in the spoiler below is a nice example of what I was thinking, though you could zoom it out even more. There, also in the spoiler I included a map of what the scale I envisioned, without NZ highlighted. You could put it in a box with a title, color all the other land teal/gray, and NZ as blue, as that seems to suit the area.
    show: highlighted NZ
    show: scale example
  • And… you need your sigs somewhere ;)

This is looking very, very nice. I love the land textures, as I stated.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Per your request:

Click image to enlarge.

Play around with it :)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Pulinski on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 am

Just some thoughts.

Taupo is the correct spelling, you have it as 'Tauop'.

The coat of arms just isn't used here in New Zealand. The Flag, Kiwi & Sliver Fern are the most identifiable representations of New Zealand.

Paul Kemp
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

email: paul@bluedahlia.co.nz
Sergeant Pulinski

Postby iancanton on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:52 pm

i'm glad the outlying islands have disappeared, since they looked totally wrong for this map. the ferry routes don't make much sense though, so i'd like to suggest removing them (except for the one from wellington, which does make perfect sense) and putting airports inside the auckland, wellington and canterbury regions (with airports being able to assault each other).

are the bonus zones standard ones used by everyone in new zealand, or is a differently-arranged, less linear, set of bonus zones possible?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Blitzaholic on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 am

looking better, however, I wish it was a little bitter, the routes are a wince off, and if you could separate the colors some, tends to blend in some areas.

keep up the good work
General Blitzaholic

Postby reggie_mac on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 pm

So as you can all tell, this map has died in the water a bit, i will look at re-visiting it again during summer when i have more time for it.

And for the next person who is thinking about saying something about my satellite image... GO READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!!! its not a sat image, it is a rendered DEM, and will not be changed to a sat image.... as they may be free to use for you people in Europe or the States through your national space programs, we don't have one here in NZ. so technically if i were to use a sat image i would be in breach of international copyright law.

Please move this to recycling bin for now.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby iancanton on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:34 am

as requested, moved to the recycling bin. pm a CA when u've prepared an update and the map's ready to re-start its journey!

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Ah, this is a beautiful map that CC needs... someone Balkan Peninsula this map!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby NZHostel on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:46 am

Having spent 12+ years in the tourist trade in NZ I thought it would be a good theme for a map. Tons of National parks and loads of extreme activities unique to or (born in) NZ. IE; bungie jumping located in a number of locations, tandem skydiving, rafting, and the strange (but very popular) zorbing. Not many countries have as many "hostels" through-out their land as NZ.

It's just my take on this subject and I would love the opportunity to work with some of you in putting this together.

Feel free to contact me if you have any interest in pursuing my idea.

Thanks

Barry
Corporal NZHostel

Previous

Return to Recycling Box