Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - New Zealand

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 2 - p1 & p9 - Permanent Vaction

Postby azezzo on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:16 am

reggie_mac thanks for your efforts so far, hope you can finish the new zealand map before it gets forgoten about,i think its a good map.
Captain azezzo

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 2 - p1 & p9 - Permanent Vaction

Postby reggie_mac on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:07 pm

Righty, getting this back on the go now.

As i'm so busy with work LED ZEPPELINER has offered to take over as the cartographer, but i'll still be doing the XML.

So stay tuned for some updates soon!
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 2 - p1 & p9 - NEW CARTO

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:17 pm

ok, so this is version 2. Me and reggie are bringing this back. i got rid of the outer islands. changed water connections. updated some of the info on the side. added a flag. added actuall Āŗ of longitude and lattitude. fit more names into their territories. as far as i am informed, this map was aiming towards gameplay, so i think that this new gameplay that i set up should fix some of the bottleneck problems. without further ado, here it is:

v2
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 2 - p1 & p9 - NEW CARTO

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:40 pm

ohhhh.. shiny.

Led - you the man, why the hell didn't i just think of trying that earlier.. DOH!
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Re: New Zealand Map [I] Ver 2 - p1 & p11 - NEW CARTO

Postby sailorseal on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 pm

The flag is out of place but I love everything else! I would just get rid of the flag, maybe a shark?
Cook sailorseal

Postby MrBenn on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Welcome back to the Foundry ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby el-presidente on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Was this in the main foundery before it left? It is good though, but version 2 it should still be in drafting room. Do the bonus regions have names?
It is a good map, and I hope it does far!

< el-presidente >
Private el-presidente

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 pm

el-presidente wrote:Was this in the main foundery before it left? It is good though, but version 2 it should still be in drafting room. Do the bonus regions have names?

< el-presidente >

it was in the main foundry, and trying to get gameplay stamp. for the bonus regions. they could just be called north top, north middle, north bottom, south top, south middle, south bottom.
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

sailorseal wrote:The flag is out of place but I love everything else! I would just get rid of the flag, maybe a shark?

No big sharks in NZ bro. Whales yes, sharks no.
el-presidente wrote:Was this in the main foundery before it left? It is good though, but version 2 it should still be in drafting room. Do the bonus regions have names?
< el-presidente >

Bonus region names were removed untill the gameplay was going to be sorted, but there are many names for each region that could be used. its mostly due to how the map started, from a sporting side.
Also, Ver 2 is ver 2 in teh foundry, the drafting was done through 15 initial concepts (please see post number 1)

We'll start to work the names out at a later stage im sure.

MrBenn wrote:Welcome back to the Foundry ;-)

Thanks MrBenn
Captain reggie_mac

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:21 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote: they could just be called north top, north middle, north bottom, south top, south middle, south bottom.

this image can help you, for a better map (specially for continents borders ) ;)
show: NZ

Find out something to emprove the gameplay, or you 're going for a classic one?

i'm with sailorseal about the flag, but i suggest you only to wave it (don't remove). Image
Then, try to do the flag a little bigger and add some trasparency.
The sea names are a little to flat, and a different layout,font, placements could fill the too empty water space.

TNBDS
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby reggie_mac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Just so you guys know, i am a Kiwi (New Zealander) so we wont have any issues coming up with names for the regions. I also have some pretty sweet flags floating around somewhere too.... if i can find them.

So everyone has an idea, the general names for the areas within NZ (what we call them).

Northern most area - The Far North
Next Area down - The Waikato (where ythe mighty waikato river flows)
Then - Central Districts
Followed buy - Canterbury
Southern most area - The Deep South
Captain reggie_mac

Postby sailorseal on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:58 pm

I would change the assault routes so that it evens out the GP between the top and bottom of the map. The top is so concentrated and has so many assault routes but the way bottom only has one
Cook sailorseal

Postby gho on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:26 am

Good to see this is back. I'm not a fan of the NZ flag and think it would be better if you put the coat of arms instead.

Gameplay wise maybe you could do something with wellington, maybe make it a +1 bonus (either dropped on the territory or a normal bonus). This would make red and yellow more worth taking. Otherwise you could make Wellington able to attack all the provincial capitals. Northland is also worth too much and i think you should either drop its bonus or connect kaitaia to something.
Lieutenant gho

Postby reggie_mac on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:48 pm

sailorseal wrote:I would change the assault routes so that it evens out the GP between the top and bottom of the map. The top is so concentrated and has so many assault routes but the way bottom only has one

Sorry bro, not getting what you mean here, there are 3 routes into/out of the SI, can you give us an example?

gho wrote:Good to see this is back. I'm not a fan of the NZ flag and think it would be better if you put the coat of arms instead.

Gameplay wise maybe you could do something with wellington, maybe make it a +1 bonus (either dropped on the territory or a normal bonus). This would make red and yellow more worth taking. Otherwise you could make Wellington able to attack all the provincial capitals. Northland is also worth too much and i think you should either drop its bonus or connect kaitaia to something.

Wellington being the capital, it could almost be made a stand alone bonus (ie Luxembourg?)

Northland is right at +2, if you put it through a bonus calculator thats what it would come out as.
Captain reggie_mac

Postby Joodoo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 pm

suggestion:add an additional bonus for holding the entire North Island or South Island
Last edited by Joodoo on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby davidmcc on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 am

reggie_mac wrote:Just so you guys know, i am a Kiwi (New Zealander) so we wont have any issues coming up with names for the regions. I also have some pretty sweet flags floating around somewhere too.... if i can find them.

So everyone has an idea, the general names for the areas within NZ (what we call them).

Northern most area - The Far North
Next Area down - The Waikato (where ythe mighty waikato river flows)
Then - Central Districts
Followed buy - Canterbury
Southern most area - The Deep South

most of those sound good, but central districts seems a bit off if you're including Wellington in it. Can't think of anything else though at the moment...

as for the flag, maybe try a silver fern instead? still very NZ, but might look a bit nicer.

oh and you might want to fix 'Tauop' ;)
Sergeant 1st Class davidmcc

Postby Moneymatt on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 am

love the idea. go kiwi's

but......i have the idesa that the waiarapa isnt quite directly to the right. wellington takes the whole of the bottom part of the island.
Major Moneymatt

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:42 am

Joodoo wrote:suggestion:add an additional bonus for holding the entire North Island or South Island

I like that idea
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:10 am

but should both of the bonuses be the same?
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby reggie_mac on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:49 pm

Moneymatt wrote:love the idea. go kiwi's

but......i have the idesa that the waiarapa isnt quite directly to the right. wellington takes the whole of the bottom part of the island.

Yeah, the lines for the territories are a mixture of council, Conservation and sporting regions, its quite amazing how much they differ between sports groups and government areas, they have ended up how they are so that they can fit the numbers into them and still be discernible.

Joodoo wrote:suggestion:add an additional bonus for holding the entire North Island or South Island

That could possibly work now, how i had it earlier it skewed the game play way to much, as for the bonus amounts i think it needs to be worked in such a way to not favor the North Island too much, as it is if you hold the entire north island your getting 10 armies compared to 7 for the south island. i think the map may be a bit small for that to really work well.
Captain reggie_mac

Postby gimil on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:49 am

Hi led,

It is nice to see an attempt being made on a newzeland map again. It isn't the easiest place in the world to make playable. On the comment of your graphical theme. Right now you have what appears to be a primary/elemetary geography textbook (don't' mean that in a bad way ;)) type graphics on the ocean while you have what looks like a highly detailed satalite image for the land. These are both fine in there own way but I don't think they work together. I believe you have have to decide to go with one style of the other. That just may be personal opinion thou so I would like to hear what others think.

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:42 am

gimil wrote:Hi led,

It is nice to see an attempt being made on a newzeland map again. It isn't the easiest place in the world to make playable. On the comment of your graphical theme. Right now you have what appears to be a primary/elemetary geography textbook (don't' mean that in a bad way ;)) type graphics on the ocean while you have what looks like a highly detailed satalite image for the land. These are both fine in there own way but I don't think they work together. I believe you have have to decide to go with one style of the other. That just may be personal opinion thou so I would like to hear what others think.

Cheers,
gimil

ok, thanks. I will try to pick a style, maybe come up with two styles, and see which one people prefer.
AndyDufresne wrote:
--Andy
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:59 pm

What about Christchurch? And Chatham island?
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby sailorseal on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:46 pm

Now the flag seems out of place but a compass rose would not. I see problems a head with people starting with North Island.

I would like to see the map play more two the two part split. I would make a feature, replacing the inter-island assault routes that will add something. Maybe so the player would have to break a neutral to go across?
Graphically I would like to see the assault routes tuned up a notch. I am not sure how but they seem out of place on a map with a geographical feel. I like the "on a map" idea you have with the latitude and longitude marks. Maybe use Nautical markers as assault routes?
Here to big to fit on CC
Look at a few Nautical Maps
Great Map!
Cook sailorseal

Postby Incandenza on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 am

I'm glad to see this map back in the foundry... Of course, that being said...

The overall level of connectivity is pretty high, which is impressive in so linear a geographical subject, but the bonuses are still really brutal. In a way I'm kinda bummed the outlying islands were lost, as they provided the only other really plausible bonus along with the northern +2.

Let me put it another way: you've got one easily-attainable bonus with 2 borders. The next one down has 4, then 6, 5, and finally 4 (working south). It'd be nice to find a way for a southern bonus to only have 3 borders and provide some sort of counterpoint to the northern +2. I'm not 100% sure how best that would be accomplished, it could be as simple as moving the Canterbury sealane from Otago to North Otago (tho I imagine there's a better way). If not, then you might want to think about reducing that +2 to a +1.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box