Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Ship Battle

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Ship Battle

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:04 am

One of the first posts in the Bombs Away thread was this:

lomonster wrote:For some reason I'm picturing the classic boardgame Battleship... LOL.

I thought this was a pretty good idea, so I roughed something out... this is a ten minute-job, so please don't pass judgement on the graphics. I just want to know if this looks like something that might work.

Basics: 100 territories, A1 through J10. Ships are starting neutrals, which leaves 76 starting positions.
Bonuses: hold ships. I don't know if we should add more ships, or what the bonuses should be.
Victory condition: I don't know, maybe it's not necessary.
Design: if I move ahead with this I'm sure we can come up with something... I'm thinking animated gif with occasional explosions. :D

Original image (version 1):
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/ ... ship01.jpg
Captain oaktown

Re: Battle At Sea (after popular boardgame)

Postby edbeard on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:16 am

I'd say that none of the other maps based on games are that good. If you include Conqueropoly in this (which I would) then you've quite the list of not so good maps.

chinese checkers
conquer 4
conquer man
crossword
poker club

but hey how good are any of the maps we make? I mean if you want to make it, I'm sure people will play it and some will even like it quite a bit (like the ones above). It won't be that hard to make really and the gameplay is actually probably simpler and easier than any of the others I've listed. would anybody really say what you have now is "bad" in terms of gameplay? probably not.

how much does the ship placement matter really? not much. as long as they aren't bunched up, you're ok.

the bonuses seem ok.

all the map needs is a making sure that the starting counts are good and a graphics sprucing up which won't be hard really.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:39 am

I would have thought there would be two sides...
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:54 am

I think the idea is great... and don't listen to Ed - Conquer 4, Poker & Chinese Checkers are great maps.

Also - I think the Win condition is a good one - hard enough to get - but also actually feasible.

C.

PS - could call it "Ship Battle"?
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:58 am

Conquer 4 and Conquer Man are two of my favourite maps.

But back to the subject at hand. Yes I think it could work, but having both sides would be better. You could have 2 boards, and say C4 on one connects to C4 on the other.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby yeti_c on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:01 am

e_i_pi wrote:Conquer 4 and Conquer Man are two of my favourite maps.

But back to the subject at hand. Yes I think it could work, but having both sides would be better. You could have 2 boards, and say C4 on one connects to C4 on the other.

I disagree on the 2 sides thing...

a) a 200 territory map won't fit.
b) Too many portals would make the map impossible to hold anything
c) 200 territories would mean those bonuses should be increased (Possible comment for 100 territories)
d) The "other" side of Battleship was your targetting screen - which was always empty - so it would just be a collection of territories with no real purpose? (Should there be 4 grids?)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm

My favourite thing to say during a game of Battleship was/is "I1"
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:10 pm

Okay i thought maybe there could be an Arms Race! style dual maps, with red and blue ships would improve this map, plus make it more like the game and more challenging.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:55 pm

The other thought I had was to make it more like the Archery Range map - each player has a pile or armies and attacks the board - no take-outs, just a victory condition of sinking (holding) all ships. But that's an entirely different game, and could be extremely frustrating under certain game conditions.

If we're going to preserve the classic gameplay that most of us signed on to CC to play, it kinda has to be fairly straightforward, as is the case here.

As is, this map has 100 territories - not small - but the trick will be making it play significantly different from Conquer4.

What if all ship territories could bombard all other ship territories?
Captain oaktown

Postby The Neon Peon on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 pm

I personally think that such a large block of territories is too much, but there are not real gameplay problems that come with one, I just do not personally like the gameplay for one.

I am leaning towards putting "Go back to making real maps." in the poll, seeing as your maps are getting better and better with each next one, but I will see how this one goes after the first few drafts. :)

Looking forward to it.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Added some ships - even with the new ships all starting neutral we're looking at a whopping 76 starting territories - that's a big ass map. I think I've kept at least two spaces between each ship.

The Neon Peon wrote:I am leaning towards putting "Go back to making real maps." in the poll, seeing as your maps are getting better and better with each next one, but I will see how this one goes after the first few drafts. :)

I kinda like the idea of making a map that isn't too taxing... the last two I did were a lot of work. Not that I'll skimp on this (if I end up making it) but the graphics and the gameplay seem pretty straightforward, and after the Eastern Hemisphere it would be fun to do something that requires a bit less brainpower.
Captain oaktown

Re: Ship Battle, ver 2 pg 1

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:50 am

Perhaps you could draw Cannons on each ship that could attack other ships? (not on every square of each ship of course)

Or you could differentiate...
Cannons on Destroyers/Battleships/Frigate that bombard other ships.
AirCraft/Choppers on the Carrier that can Bombard the Submarine
Torpedo Tubes on the Sub that can bombard the Carrier

(Why I hear you cry - well Gameplay wise - It would make the holders of the ships - fight each other - rather than attacking the people who are still "dead in the water" - which might mean that the game might be more balanced? - of course - it might make it more of a "first to hold a ship wins"?)

Or not!

C.

PS - like the new name!
Last edited by yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Incandenza on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:53 am

Weird gameplay concept that literally just occurred to me as I was looking for the Trafalgar thread:

what if you shaved off the terit bonus (say, 1/4 instead of 1/3), had larger bonuses on the ships, and jacked the neutral values on said ships up? Or make the bonuses multiply as a player accumulates more ships (tho balanced such so that the first person to grab the destroyed doesn't have a prohibitive advantage).
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:58 pm

you should turn this into 2 maps.
Same gameplay, but move the ships around to make comlpetely different play experience, representing the 2 sides of the game board (and im sure it wouldny be hard to do)

Call them Blue Ship Battle and Red Ship Battle (i know battle ship dosnt have colors normally... but the screens are outlined in red/blue sometimes)

Just a thought for tournament game play ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby oaktown on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Natewolfman wrote:you should turn this into 2 maps.
Same gameplay, but move the ships around to make comlpetely different play experience, representing the 2 sides of the game board (and im sure it wouldny be hard to do)

Call them Blue Ship Battle and Red Ship Battle (i know battle ship dosnt have colors normally... but the screens are outlined in red/blue sometimes)

I love this idea! Battleship map pack? =D>
Captain oaktown

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:18 pm

oaktown wrote:

exactly what i was thinking, im glad you like the idea :D
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby yeti_c on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:20 pm

oaktown wrote:

The Battleship I have (plastic non electronic version) has Blue or Red "Boards" in big plastic thingys!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby lostatlimbo on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:48 pm

i like game-themed maps (especially chinese checkers and poker), but i could see where this would get into the same trouble as ConquerMan with too many territories to manage.

still though, i like the idea and think it could be fun. i think having two sides and only use ships as territories is preferable to having 76 territories and ships that start as neutral.

another idea would be to have a handful of "empty spaces" used as territories that can attack the "opposite board". does that make sense? hard to explain with text.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby edbeard on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 am

I4, I5, and H9 have a slight advantage in that they can attack a ship territory that no one else can attack

does it matter? I don't know.
Lieutenant edbeard

Re: Ship Battle [vacation]

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:48 pm

I might come back to this, but as I'll be away for a while there's no reason to clutter up MrBenn's subforum with my junk.
Captain oaktown

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:12 am

yeti_c wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:Conquer 4 and Conquer Man are two of my favourite maps.

I disagree on the 2 sides thing...

a) a 200 territory map won't fit.
b) Too many portals would make the map impossible to hold anything
c) 200 territories would mean those bonuses should be increased (Possible comment for 100 territories)
d) The "other" side of Battleship was your targetting screen - which was always empty - so it would just be a collection of territories with no real purpose? (Should there be 4 grids?)

C.

I know this is vacationed, but I think I need to clarify what I meant by two sides.

Have two boards, both with ships on... player A's board and player B's. The portals would be too much though, maybe ships attacking ships? And I didn't think of the 200 territory thing hehe. That sure is a lot of territories.
Captain e_i_pi

Return to Recycling Box