Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Oakland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Oakland

Postby oaktown on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Click image to enlarge.

As I was driving through downtown around midnight, I got this idea. Yes, I am that geek that sees a CC map where ever he goes. Anyway, the entire concept is purely speculative, but I was thinking of making my town look like a graphic novel.

Gameplay quirks:
45 territories right now (subject to change); 6 neutral starts. ($$)
The bonuses will be set up in a way that every region is of the same value to begin the game regardless of the region's size. Once you hold the dollar sign in any region, you can start collecting a bonus based on how many territories you have there. Obviously the larger regions will be worth more in the end, but they're also in the center of the map and are harder to hold.

Look:
Black and white. The file will be an animated gif, with fading and alternating images of the city in the top boxes. No animation on the playing area itself.

yes, it is sloppy and there are typos. The region borders are whatever patterns I had, and will change. I'm just looking for some general feedback at this point.
Captain oaktown

Re: Oakland - the graphic novel. ??

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:27 pm

I like the idea! But shouldn't you post this in the Drafts … ? or is it something different.

EDIT: also, I'm assuming a territory is a hood?

EDIT 2: you moved it.
Last edited by the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Qwert on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:29 pm

Now that i call,good coordinate work of CA, i hope that mine next map will go fast like these idea. :lol:
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby oaktown on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:34 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:I like the idea! But shouldn't you post this in the Drafts … ?

:oops: honest mistake. I really thought I had just been in drafts.
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:35 pm

oaktown wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:I like the idea! But shouldn't you post this in the Drafts … ?

:oops: honest mistake. I really thought I had just been in drafts.

No problem ;)
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MrBenn on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Personally I'd rather see your Route 66 map rise from the ashes ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:46 pm

MrBenn wrote:Personally I'd rather see your Route 66 map rise from the ashes ;-)

That.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:17 am

wow, and here I thought I had an original idea that would have mass-appeal. What, nobody at CC likes the graphic novel genre? :geek:

I so wanted to do something in the present.
Captain oaktown

Postby Incandenza on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:22 am

It's an interesting concept, but it's not like Oakland is a town that springs immediately to mind when one thinks about comic books, which could account for the tepid response.

But the way you have gameplay set up is kinda different, so I'd say it's worth pursuing, at least for the moment. Unlike MrB and Zeak, I had no great fondness for Route 66 (good concept, but I'm not a huge fan of vector-based gameplay), tho I wouldn't mind if you brought back the LA map. :lol:
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby oaktown on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:05 am

Incandenza wrote:It's an interesting concept, but it's not like Oakland is a town that springs immediately to mind when one thinks about comic books, which could account for the tepid response.

well, I figured if cairnswk can do cairnswk, oaktown can do oaktown. Seriously, is there nobody out there to back a brother up? I'm thinking that if I draw some cranes and a sideshow, the CC OGs are gonna get all hyphy about this miznap.

8-) (stunna shades)

(oh dear, I'm so setting myself for some regrettable signature quotes.)
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:19 am

oaktown wrote:
Incandenza wrote:It's an interesting concept, but it's not like Oakland is a town that springs immediately to mind when one thinks about comic books, which could account for the tepid response.

well, I figured if cairnswk can do cairnswk, oaktown can do oaktown. Seriously, is there nobody out there to back a brother up? I'm thinking that if I draw some cranes and a sideshow, the CC OGs are gonna get all hyphy about this miznap.

8-) (stunna shades)

kepp me out of your argument buddy...at least i've got CCC to go with Cairns Metro...strange ideas happen on full moons :lol: :lol:
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby bbqpenguin on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:30 am

whoa, wait. you can put gifs in maps? why hasn't anyone done this already?
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:59 am

love it! :lol:
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

Postby RjBeals on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:04 pm

bbqpenguin wrote:whoa, wait. you can put gifs in maps? why hasn't anyone done this already?
Conquerman is animated.

Oak - I like the idea. You've got a tough job ahead of you though. I'm thinking black/white style of Frank Miller? or Persepolis? Lots of heavy black areas - high contrast? I might suggest adding a little color? Like a camel/tan color maybe? Also - Maybe reference some Oakland rappers - like Too $hort, MC Hammer and Digital Underground :)
Private RjBeals

Postby Natewolfman on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 pm

I like it - and i love the graphic novels ;) keep going!
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:09 pm

oaktown wrote:

8-) (stunna shades)

so many questions/suggestions to ask.... here we go:
1. you should be able to ghostride your whip from one part of town to another.
2. i believe miznap should just be mizzap?... but i like you dropping hyphy into a sentence lol.
3. i personally don't think personifying the city of oakland as a "ghetto" area is really a good idea to push. people might get offended
4. if you really wanna make this oakland map ghetto, at least add some weed lol
5. the graphic novel thing is only going to be applied to the whole legend so far i feel like... how do you think you'll add the graphic novel flare to the map itself?
6. i also think you should have done rt 66 first...but whatevs
7. include something about the raiders and A's maybe... because errbody gotta rep their city with a fitted...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby oaktown on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 am

RjBeals wrote:Also - Maybe reference some Oakland rappers - like Too $hort, MC Hammer and Digital Underground :)

there will be no hammer pants or humpty dancin' on this map.

whitestazn88 wrote:3. i personally don't think personifying the city of oakland as a "ghetto" area is really a good idea to push. people might get offended

Not ghetto necessarily, but urban, perhaps with a touch of urban decay.

whitestazn88 wrote:1. you should be able to ghostride your whip from one part of town to another.

Now somebody's playin' along!

As for the Route 66 map, I like the idea and I will get back to it. But I won't have much time in the next three weeks for either map, and I'm just trying to figure out which ideas have the most promise.
Captain oaktown

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:56 am

can you explain more on how this is a graphic novel? or what you want from us? I love the idea of making a map into a graphic novel, but im kinda lost :lol:

such as, what do you want the top squares for? different possible comic based storylines?
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Natewolfman wrote:can you explain more on how this is a graphic novel? or what you want from us? I love the idea of making a map into a graphic novel, but im kinda lost :lol:

such as, what do you want the top squares for? different possible comic based storylines?

yeah, i think in the first post he said he wanted to put in gifs of different drawings of the city or something to show the bonuses. like the "hoods" would flash in and out or something like that... but don't quote me on that.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby gimil on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:04 pm

oaktown wrote:wow, and here I thought I had an original idea that would have mass-appeal. What, nobody at CC likes the graphic novel genre? :geek:

I smell a modern Berlin map. Similar gamepaly concept.

p.s. I support a brother, I have high hopes for a unique graphics style coming out of this one.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby oaktown on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:02 pm

I won't be at my computer until the new year, so I'm vacationing all of these half-assed projects. I'll figure out which ones have promise when I return.
Captain oaktown

Return to Recycling Box