Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Pirates

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Pirates v1 p2

Postby babinecz on Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 am

your maps always suck
Sergeant babinecz

Postby WidowMakers on Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 am

babinecz wrote:your maps always suck
WOW. Thanks. I hope all my future maps continue to suck for everyone's Conquer Club enjoyment.
Major WidowMakers

Postby barterer2002 on Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am

The E and B in edbeard need the larger font to be consistent with the other ships (also I'd like to see ed on the opposite side of the map from WM. Personal preference to reflect two mapmakers meeting in the middle.

The legend reads -At the start of your turn hold at least one: ship, eyepatch, parrot, peg leg, hook buried treasure. as being a winning turn. Doesn't everyone start with a ship? And if holding the parrot is a winning condition then why is it a +1 (same with all the others as well of course). I'm assuming that either I'm reading the legend wrong or that it doesn't say what its supposed to.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby mibi on Fri May 22, 2009 10:00 am

Edbeard and WidowMakers are both decent pirate names. Though I don't think Capt' Crunch should be in there. He isn't a pirate.
Captain mibi

Postby edbeard on Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 am

the E in edbeard will be lowercase

the legend is correct, bart. you start with ONE ship and ONE resource. you have to acquire everything else on the objective. And, yes, some things have multiple functions in having a bonus and being part of the objective.

I agree on Crunch. I'll put together my list of 8 (or 8+) which I think are the best and we can see the reaction. This weekend sometime.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri May 22, 2009 12:31 pm

maybe captain planet? lol, just to f*ck with everyone
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby barterer2002 on Sat May 23, 2009 5:21 pm

edbeard wrote:
the legend is correct, bart. you start with ONE ship and ONE resource. you have to acquire everything else on the objective. And, yes, some things have multiple functions in having a bonus and being part of the objective.

Ed, I'm not reading the legend as saying that you start with one ship and one resource. I'm reading it as saying that if you hold a ship or one of the resources that you win

I think it needs to have

Ship + and then a listing of the resources with an & between the last two.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby edbeard on Sat May 23, 2009 7:47 pm

yea. your post didn't make sense to me the first time.

I think "One of each: ..." will solve it
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby WidowMakers on Sat May 23, 2009 8:22 pm

barterer2002 wrote:
edbeard wrote:

Ed, I'm not reading the legend as saying that you start with one ship and one resource. I'm reading it as saying that if you hold a ship or one of the resources that you win

I think it needs to have

The legend says hold at least one of each....

I think that is pretty clear.
Major WidowMakers

Postby sailorseal on Sat May 23, 2009 8:26 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
babinecz wrote:your maps always suck
WOW. Thanks. I hope all my future maps continue to suck for everyone's Conquer Club enjoyment.

I do too. Window Makers sucktastic maps are my favs.

Great map guys
Cook sailorseal

Postby edbeard on Sat May 23, 2009 11:42 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
barterer2002 wrote:
edbeard wrote:

I think it needs to have

The legend says hold at least one of each....

I think that is pretty clear.

actually I think it just says "hold at least one". of each would definitely clear it up though
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun May 24, 2009 11:10 am

Perhaps just an "of" without the "each" at the end would satisfy?

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby edbeard on Mon May 25, 2009 10:57 pm

"of" doesn't imply anything different than not having "each"

putting "each" on the end is the right choice

as far as big ship names, since we're going with a somewhat "silly" pirate theme in a way then the names from the territories of "The Anachronists" continent would fit well (which is mostly what we already have)

edbeard, WidowMaker we already know. my submissions are

Long John Silver
Captain Hook
Dread Pirate Roberts
Captain Morgan
One-Eyed Willie
Patchy the Pirate

alternates:

Steve the Pirate
Jean LaFoote
Jolly Roger
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 27, 2009 1:44 pm

I was working on a project a year ago where I was coming up with interesting Pirate names. Here are a few of the better ones I think:

ā€œBloodgumā€
ā€œLady Killinyeā€
ā€œCutlass Jackā€
ā€œMeathookā€
ā€œNo-Armsā€
ā€œThomas Toothrotā€
ā€œRum-Drum Rogersā€
ā€œPegleg Percyā€
ā€œRed Stacheā€
ā€œThe Foreignerā€ (this was meant to be an Asian Pirate)
ā€œCastillaā€
ā€œLady Maladyā€

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby edbeard on Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 pm

the command ships can be named after our fictional folk since they're more notable. the other ships can be a la Andy's names (which I like) where we just create fake pirate names
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 am

I like the four stores and their names, and the idea of some tongue-in-cheek gameplay and names. For the pirate command ships, I like using the idea of the names of pirates to keep edbeard and WidowMaker in there. I like the ones that edbeard posted (I had to google Patchy so that one is a stretch, but the rest are well known from pop culture). I don't like the user names as names for the other boats - I like Andy's list of silly pirate names to go along with the whimsical nature of this map. I think that if you use pirate names (instead of boat names) for the command ships, the rest of the ships should also have pirate names, not ship names.

I agree with the idea of doing an archipelago in the shape of the skull and crossbones - I think that would improve gameplay. Once you do that I think the rowboats will be more important for getting to the different islands. Would you be able to get to more than one island from some of the rowboats? What about island to island - I'm assuming you'd have to have the permission of a pirate ship to go from one island to another, so they shouldn't directly connect.

Are the standard ships more on the line of merchant ships or would they be other ships in the pirate armada? If they are merchant ships, maybe they wouldn't bombard other ships - just your command ship can do the bombarding? If you take a merchant ship and add it to your armada, it wouldn't be able to bombard like your command ship, it probably wouldn't have the firepower. It would be good at sending boarding parties or going landside.

I like that none of the command ships are connected to docks, I think it's important that you'd have to go through other ships to get to the docks. Maybe keep this up when the archipelago is implemented, so you can't go directly from a command ship to one of the islands? Maybe I'm thinking too much like Fuedal War, where you have a strategic central "base" for lack of a better term.

I think that this map should have no more than two starting positions programmed per player. I like the idea of just starting on a command ship (or two in smaller games) than also having a store already. I think you should have to go out and conquer from your command ship.

Are five of each "store" too many for a game with not too many players? It would be a race to get the closest four stores and the "X" for the win before the other person got there. In a 1v1 I see this as too much luck-related. The map also needs to be adjusted to make sure that no starting position has an advantage or disadvantage.

I agree with the change to "at least one of each" in the legend.

That's it for now ;)

Jake
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby edbeard on Sun May 31, 2009 11:19 pm

I've already sent my thoughts on recent posts to WM but here's a couple responses to some of the latest post (from jake)

Command Ships being the only ones able to bombard is an interesting idea. This would definitely make holding ships easier since they're only attackable from their own rowboat. if you combine this with resetting neutrals, it might make everything too slow. something to think about.

a lot of your post seemed to just be long-winded ways of agreeing with things that were already decided (names of territories, command ships location in relation to land, starting positions)

One thing I disagree with is the "too many resources". It allows multiple people to gain one of each resource. It makes gaining all of one resource a bit more difficult.

on a different note, I'm more inclined to NOT have resetting neutrals on the rowboats. it seems like it'll limit movement quite a bit in early goings. it would also lead to people unfamiliar with the map attacking and leaving their armies on rowboats and losing them. this isn't a "final" decision by any means and I haven't talked to WM about it but that's the way I'm leaning so I'll need to be convinced otherwise
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Hopscotcher on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:56 pm

This map looks really super ok. I'm beyond words. I love pretty much everything about it.

Do you have rights to use Jack Sparrow? might want to check. Disney is pretty much notorious for making grown ups cry over things like that.

I have one gameplay note you might want to consider:

I'm not sure how strong you are planning on making the neutral ships. Obviously, the King Pirate (for lack of a better word) ships should be stronger than the normal ones. However, I would shy away from making the smaller ships very strong at all.
Basically, If opponents have been fighting it out on land and one gets eliminated from that arena, they should be able to make it back to shore without too much difficulty
Or perhaps take over another King Pirates' ship to block them winning the game.

I'm imagining HUGE armies on the King Ships in late game.

Reminds me a little of New World, but this looks more balanced upon first inspection.

BRAVO!

oh yeah.... and...

ARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Hopscotcher wrote:Do you have rights to use Jack Sparrow? might want to check. Disney is pretty much notorious for making grown ups cry over things like that.

I did some research into the use of fictional character names a while back...

MrBenn wrote:
pamoa wrote:I'm pretty sure all names in Tolkien books are copyright protected, so I think it's better to avoid any problem in this revamp for copyright issue.

I can't believe that I've just looked this up...
Media Law wrote:In relation to character names, the general position is that there is no copyright in a name (whether invented or not). The courts have accordingly denied copyright protection to the names 'Kojak', 'James Bond' and 'Burberry'.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Danyael on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:17 pm

yes you cannot copyright a name or word but you can trademark it

and i'm sure that some big companies might sue but probably would not hold in court
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby 00iCon on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:09 am

Love the rowboats idea! How about the island starts neutral and you get 1 command ship and 2 ships? It'll be like you arrive at the indigenous populated (neutrals) island and have to battle the other pirates for it.
How about caves connecting ends of the island too? Or a cave network as an insert/minimap?
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:02 pm

00iCon wrote:Love the rowboats idea! How about the island starts neutral and you get 1 command ship and 2 ships? It'll be like you arrive at the indigenous populated (neutrals) island and have to battle the other pirates for it.
How about caves connecting ends of the island too? Or a cave network as an insert/minimap?
Glad you like the rowboats.

This map has been very slow because of my recent move. I have been in contact with edbeard and I am moving forward with version #2. There will be tweaked sets of rules to make it easier to understand and play. Stay tuned.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby mattosaurus on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:33 am

I like the theme and the gameplay. Graphics could use a bit of sprucing, but I like the whole idea.
Check out my map in the making: Testosterone VS Estrogen
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=85196
Sergeant 1st Class mattosaurus

Postby BoganGod on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:45 am

Can't believe ya forgot blue beard!
Corporal BoganGod

Postby sinctheassasin on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Way to bump a dead post. :roll:

No offence, but this doesn't look too great, I have a sneaking suspision that most of the coomunity won't approve...

Sorry if I'm being blunt
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box