Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Colisevm

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v18)

Postby PepeAtila on Sun May 23, 2010 2:45 pm

I have been working on these images and I took some "experiences".
I would like to continue the same line I was doing but changing the perspective "a little".
this is a image as "landscape" could be used ...
Click image to enlarge.

and I dont know if it is possible for CC just to use it, drawing on it.

if I make a floor for it ... it is more clear it looks like going down...
Click image to enlarge.

when I try to make it flat, it is clear what is the problem in the perspective ... just looking the grandstand
Click image to enlarge.

It is not possible to give a good perspective with elipses since our view is more like hyperbola.

This would make me to begin again. So I guess for the "aim" of making a CC game, I think I should try to "manipulate the ellipses in the grandstand (this I can still working on it (with the different sizes (I didnt finish yet that is why I didnt create a new version already:

Click image to enlarge.

I think it is the way to go ... what do you think??
PepeAtila
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Sun May 23, 2010 4:33 pm

I don't really understand what you're trying to say... but I would say the best option would be tracing the photo of the coliseum, then drawing your new image accordingly.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby PepeAtila on Tue May 25, 2010 2:30 pm

natty_dread wrote:I don't really understand what you're trying to say... but I would say the best option would be tracing the photo of the coliseum, then drawing your new image accordingly.

I mean I will do it, but changing the image to fix the map I did... because in other case I should do everything again.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v19.2)

Postby PepeAtila on Sun May 30, 2010 6:31 am

Begining version 19 .... changing grandstand...
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 am

The walls of the arena seem odd... they seem to twist when they go to the back.

Also now the playable area is very small...

Postby PepeAtila on Sun May 30, 2010 3:06 pm

natty_dread wrote:The walls of the arena seem odd... they seem to twist when they go to the back.
I changed them... I know I should still improving the details in the map, I would like to know if this is the way.
Also now the playable area is very small...

To show it and upload the "intermediate versions" I reduce the image ... should I make it 840x800? or do you mean eliminate more "grandstand details"?? ... from the beginning I was thinking just to show the Arena ... just the playable area
This is 19.3
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v19.3)

Postby natty dread on Sun May 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Well this looks better... There's still some funkyness in the perspective, but it's getting there.

Look at the inner part of the arena wall... It doesn't seem to be consistent on the sides, when you look at the same spot on the left side and right side, it's thicker on one side and thinner on one side. The right side looks better IMO. Sorry I don't know how to explain it better.

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v19.3)

Postby PepeAtila on Mon May 31, 2010 5:52 pm

natty_dread wrote:Well this looks better... There's still some funkyness in the perspective, but it's getting there.

Look at the inner part of the arena wall... It doesn't seem to be consistent on the sides, when you look at the same spot on the left side and right side, it's thicker on one side and thinner on one side. The right side looks better IMO. Sorry I don't know how to explain it better.

Little by little improving ... I hope
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v19.4)

Postby natty dread on Mon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Getting there... but not quite.

Tell you what... I'll try to draw an example of how I think it should look. I'll try to get it posted soon.

Postby natty dread on Mon May 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Ok here's an example, I made it blue for clarity.

Click image to enlarge.

Ok look at the wall around the "arena". The flat (horizontal) part goes as a simple circle around the arena... but it is elevated, since it is the top surface of the wall, and the gap that it leaves when it is elevated from the rest of the arena, that is the part of the side surface of the wall that shows.

Then look at the circles of the arena floor... note that part of the arena (in the lower edge) is obscured by the wall. That's why I made the outer circle of the arena floor (the outermost territory circle) thicker than the others, because it is partly obscured at the lower part, so it must be thicker to compensate.

I hope this helps.

Postby PepeAtila on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:40 am

natty_dread wrote:Ok here's an example, I made it blue for clarity.

Click image to enlarge.

Ok look at the wall around the "arena". The flat (horizontal) part goes as a simple circle around the arena... but it is elevated, since it is the top surface of the wall, and the gap that it leaves when it is elevated from the rest of the arena, that is the part of the side surface of the wall that shows.

Then look at the circles of the arena floor... note that part of the arena (in the lower edge) is obscured by the wall. That's why I made the outer circle of the arena floor (the outermost territory circle) thicker than the others, because it is partly obscured at the lower part, so it must be thicker to compensate.

I hope this helps.

It helps, but I dont see my picture so different than yours, just I dont think it is a good idea to change the playable area. Decreasing the playable down area would make a best perspective, also perhaps changing the texture in the wall you would see not so different. Another different issue is in the rings on the map, they are not in different levels, so to understand what I mean you can see a bullfighter stadium.... perhaps to do the thicker down part I should make a bigger upper part, but the problem will become the space for the real playable zone. The idea about why the circular movement comes from where is the gladiator looking at. However I think I am closer to compromise the game and the perspective, I will continue working the weekend. Thank you very much,
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v19.5)

Postby PepeAtila on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Improved
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v20)

Postby PepeAtila on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:14 am

this is another grandstand...
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:35 am

Starting to look real good. Now the only thing that bothers me is that brown wall in the back, it doesn't seem to go in the same perspective as the other wall and the seats...

Postby PepeAtila on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:36 pm

natty_dread wrote:Starting to look real good.thank you. Now the only thing that bothers me is that brown wall in the back, it doesn't seem to go in the same perspective as the other wall and the seats... :) I changed it because I dont want you to feel bothered :) ... I guess it is going closer.

This is the last I made - v 20.2
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v20.2)

Postby natty dread on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Uh... forgive me, but now it looks even weirder. ;)

Can you not try to make it similar to the inner wall? That one seems to match to the seats pretty well.

Postby PepeAtila on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:25 pm

natty_dread wrote:Uh... forgive me, but now it looks even weirder. ;)

Can you not try to make it similar to the inner wall? That one seems to match to the seats pretty well.

but something more similar to this??
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby natty dread on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Well, it's better, but the edges on the sides still look funny... the top surface gets narrower towards the sides, when it should stay the same or get slightly wider...

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:13 am

I'm a little late to the party, but in my opinion, that inner wall is the one that has a weird perspective. The wall margins and the gates curve properly, but the mortar lines between the stone blocks don't curve with the wall. The verticals remain vertical, which is fine, but the horizontals should curve with the wall. As they are, they go from roughly parallel to the wall top and base (as seen at the back of the curve) to apparently running at a 45 degree angle (as seen at either side of the stadium).
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

natty_dread wrote:Well, it's better, but the edges on the sides still look funny... the top surface gets narrower towards the sides, when it should stay the same or get slightly wider...

ender516 wrote:I'm a little late to the party, welcome :)but in my opinion, that inner wall is the one that has a weird perspective. The wall margins and the gates curve properly, but the mortar lines between the stone blocks don't curve with the wall. yes, you are right, The verticals remain vertical, which is fine, but the horizontals should curve with the wall.yes, but I should do the curves one by one ... again :) I mean my first idea is to make "round stones" (rolling stones :) ) As they are, they go from roughly parallel to the wall top and base (as seen at the back of the curve) to apparently running at a 45 degree angle (as seen at either side of the stadium). Perhaps I will do some try next weekend. Thank you very much.

I dont understand very well, but ...
Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:32 pm

The perspective is much better. But the first thing that i notice is that the map looks like a sort of puzzle, try to create more "equilibrium" in the map, "blending" the various parts.
A question, are you still using the same graphic program? Honestly i start to think that some of the graphics problems of the map are due to the limits of the program or its use. :-k
Now it's a bit late, i'll leave more comments tomorrow ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby PepeAtila on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 am

thenobodies80 wrote:The perspective is much better. But the first thing that i notice is that the map looks like a sort of puzzle, It is :) try to create more "equilibrium" in the map, "blending" the various parts I will try.
A question, are you still using the same graphic program? yes :) super-powerful MS-Powerpoint :) Honestly i start to think that some of the graphics problems of the map are due to the limits of the program or its use. :-k
In somehow, because I do it from very elemental figures. Now it's a bit late, i'll leave more comments tomorrow ;) thank you. also I have no lot of time now.

Click image to enlarge.
Captain PepeAtila

Postby PepeAtila on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:17 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:The perspective is much better. But the first thing that i notice is that the map looks like a sort of puzzle, try to create more "equilibrium" in the map, "blending" the various parts. I will try, though I don't understand very well the fact that "the arround" become more important than "the playable zone"
A question, are you still using the same graphic program? Honestly i start to think that some of the graphics problems of the map are due to the limits of the program or its use. :-k
Now it's a bit late, i'll leave more comments tomorrow ;) I know perhaps is easier with some other tools however everything can be do it !!
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v21.1)

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:22 pm

I don't understand very well the fact that "the arround" become more important than "the playable zone"

It is not exactly more important, but it is equally important in a way. You have to look at the graphics as a whole. All of it is important - all elements of the map must contribute to the theme. The playable area is most important when it comes to legibility & clarity of gameplay, but the non-playable areas are important when it comes to creating the right mood to fit the theme of the map.

Re: Colisevm [D,Gp] (Arena for Gladiators v21.1)

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 am

natty_dread wrote:
I don't understand very well the fact that "the arround" become more important than "the playable zone"

It is not exactly more important, but it is equally important in a way. You have to look at the graphics as a whole. All of it is important - all elements of the map must contribute to the theme. The playable area is most important when it comes to legibility & clarity of gameplay, but the non-playable areas are important when it comes to creating the right mood to fit the theme of the map.

:D yes, I know, and I am learning a lot while I am working ... really this weekend I found some "mistakes" in my super-graphical program ... that is why I cannot "exhibit" a new one. I am also trying to improve the bonus-flag ...
I have an idea about football(soccer) game ... but not yet :D

Thank you very much for your comments.
Captain PepeAtila

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box