Conquer Club

Looking for some advice

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Looking for some advice

Postby Yeoha on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 pm

I joined this site several days ago and am still learning the ropes. I have had a few wins, although those were the result of luck rather than a superior strategy.

One of the games I've played thoroughly confuses me. http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=7177126 For the first several turns, I struggled to maintain a region down south but never managed it. As I logged off, I was barely in second place based on units, and I had one small bonus. When I came back, I had more units than the two of them combined and only one space on the map had more than 1 guy on it. I don't know if it is possible to go back and see what happened, but any hypotheses as to what happened would be just as good.

In one of my games, I found a friendly opponent who shared some tips about the game with me. I have found these extremely useful and would be interested in hearing any more advice that others might have, no matter how basic.
Captain Yeoha

Re: Looking for some advice

Postby fruitcake♥ on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:10 am

They killed each other with spoils?

I don't know, just look at the log.
Private 1st Class fruitcake♥

Postby shocked439 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 am

what the log won't show you is when you unsuccessfully attack an opponent. I would guess the two other players each ran into large stacks from each other and brought themselves way down leaving the easy victory for you.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby GSP JR on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

shocked439 wrote:what the log won't show you is when you unsuccessfully attack an opponent. I would guess the two other players each ran into large stacks from each other and brought themselves way down leaving the easy victory for you.

That was my first guess, my second would be trying to over extend and having bad dice in the process.

Some really basic advice I would give you Yeoha is don't be in a hurry. While it sometimes makes sense to take over as much territory as possible, it is also just as likely the best strategy is to sit tight and go slowly. Taking a territory or two, or even none, sometimes pays off in the long run. Learning the board and watching what your opponents are doing will help a lot, because it's not uncommon to have to change strategy from one turn to the next.
Corporal 1st Class GSP JR

Postby Yeoha on Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:21 am

Thank you all for the responses. I'll try to keep a closer watch on what's going on in the future - looks like there's no real way to tell exactly what happened afterward.
Captain Yeoha

Return to SoC Training Grounds