Conquer Club

Looking for some tips on Nuclear spoils

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Looking for some tips on Nuclear spoils

Postby insomniacdude on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 am

Hey everybody! Long-time player, I don't necessarily need general gameplay help. I am, however, trying out for the first time the "Nuclear" spoils option and I am having a difficult time using it in any sort of effective strategic way. I was wondering if anybody could offer any decent tips on how to approach the spoils, because I don't feel like I'm making any progress (unless Nuclear games are supposed to feel like that lol).

It's game No. Game 8389463 if anybody wants to take a look.
Cadet insomniacdude

Re: Looking for some tips on Nuclear spoils

Postby catnipdreams on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:54 am

I'm not an expert on nuclear spoils, but I like the element of randomness they put into what is essentially a no spoils game. And that has been my experience - randomness - sometimes you get lucky, and can nuke something vital to your opponent, sometimes you end up nuking yourself... There are the obvious things to do - move off of places you might have to nuke, have a recovery plan if you have to nuke something that breaks your own bonus, maybe even be super sneaky and try to lure your opponent onto a spot that you can nuke... And stop taking cards if need be, although that might mess up major elements of your game... I'd love to find out if there is any other strategy associated with nukes, too! Good luck with your game =)

Edit: And of course large stacks are very dangerous - if you nuke someone else's large stack, and can swoop in, awesome! If someone nukes YOUR large stack - not quite so awesome... I often keep stacks until other players can start cashing, then spread out with a lot of 2's everywhere, but then if someone else keeps their stack, I am vulnerable... That element of randomness =)
Major catnipdreams

Postby QoH on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

If you have a card that is one of your territs, build a huge stack on it but DO NOT CARD! Since you have the card for it, its safe from being nuked. THen just go and rape everyone with that stack.
Major QoH

Postby catnipdreams on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Interesting - what happens if you have an 8 player game on a very small map, and everyone has 4 cards - that is 32 cards - there are small maps with less than 32 terts - so.... Must be some chance of duplication???
Major catnipdreams

Postby macbone on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:47 am

It's been confirmed that cards can be duplicated. Two players can hold the same spoil, apparently.

I am not an expert on nuclear games by any stretch, but I've found that it helps to spread out your forces. As cat said, treat it like a No Spoils game in that you don't need to get a card every time and you definitely should go for bonuses. Don't build up big stacks, and instead, focus on building evenly across your territory.

Check out [url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=104760]this thread[/thread].
Colonel macbone

Return to SoC Training Grounds