Conquer Club

Thailand

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Thailand

Postby grifftron on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Ok, the big things holding this map from moving on are:

Tentative bonus values.
The four corner border in the pink region
More names need to fit onto the territories they represent, if only partially fit on there
I'd like to get an idea of how well the small map is going to look and whether things will likely fit or not

Things I'd like to see but not necessary to move this map on:
Ditch the cultural icons. This map is tough to comprehend already with the unfamiliar names and the cultural icons unnecessarily complicate things.

That is not a four corner, i worked on it but clearly it is not clear enough, i will make it clearer :lol:

More names need to fit... OK, we have been trying to get more and more names to fit, some might not fit tho, which is why we must use the abr.

And I had a small map on the first post, 640x640... i can always re-post an updated version too.

thanks IH.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 pm

You would have a much easier time of it, if you were to adjust the kerning on the text. Your settings now, are very spread apart. You could reduce the width of some, or all of the labels, if you work on that (k e r n i n g) a bit. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby grifftron on Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 pm

porkenbeans wrote:You would have a much easier time of it, if you were to adjust the kerning on the text. Your settings now, are very spread apart. You could reduce the width of some, or all of the labels, if you work on that (k e r n i n g) a bit. ;)

What text do you suggest porken?
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:00 am

grifftron wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:You would have a much easier time of it, if you were to adjust the kerning on the text. Your settings now, are very spread apart. You could reduce the width of some, or all of the labels, if you work on that (k e r n i n g) a bit. ;)

kerning
k e r n i n g

You are having a hard time because of two things. One, The names are unusualy long, and two, your territs are on the small side.

You need to thin out the kerning. this will allow you fit the labels into the small territs. This will also allow you more space, so as to use the full names, instead of abbreviations.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:03 am

porkenbeans wrote:
grifftron wrote:

kerning
k e r n i n g

You are having a hard time because of two things. One, The names are unusualy long, and two, your territs are on the small side.

You need to thin out the kerning. this will allow you fit the labels into the small territs. This will also allow you more space, so as to use the full names, instead of abbreviations.

I will see what I can do about the kerning, i am working on it right now.

griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:05 am

I can help you if you are using photoshop.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 am

porkenbeans wrote:I can help you if you are using photoshop.

I am, whats the trick to kerning, i am your grasshopper
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:16 am

small (640x640)
Click image to enlarge.

large (800x800)
Click image to enlarge.

Just to clarify, all territories are spelled out full except for those in the Khorat Basin (light green area) which consists of 6 states NOT spelled out. And there are 5 terts in the lower north that are not spelt out, and 1 tert in the upper north not spelt out. so all together 12 terts that are not spelt out full. If porken gets back on the "kerning" then I can try to see if i can get more names in.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:44 am

Industrial Helix wrote:This map is becoming way too overburdened with symbols and icons. Can't we all be happy with a standard map?
Yeah, I have to agree with IH. The icons are kinda cluttering up your pretty map. I like how the Crescent and moon icon look. What other predominant religions are there in Thailand ? Maybe if you just used 4 or 5 total icons on the map, that maybe represent religious influences or something. I know that Islam is the dominate one, but aren't there a couple others like Buddhist and Hindu or ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:26 am

porkenbeans wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:This map is becoming way too overburdened with symbols and icons. Can't we all be happy with a standard map?
Yeah, I have to agree with IH. The icons are kinda cluttering up your pretty map. I like how the Crescent and moon icon look. What other predominant religions are there in Thailand ? Maybe if you just used 4 or 5 total icons on the map, that maybe represent religious influences or something. I know that Islam is the dominate one, but aren't there a couple others like Buddhist and Hindu or ?

Buddhism is the dominate religion in Thailand, Islam is very dominate in the far south (close to Malaysia), and it seems like its becoming more and more popular of a religion as it continues to rise in numbers from the south coming up to the central parts. I have heard the north be called the "bible belt" as there are many Christian Thai people up north. But I don't think we want this to become a religious map. Lets see what Farang says about the icons.

Here is the the map after porken helped me with fitting the names in, thank you chief lion. I am humbled grasshopper. I was able to spell out ALL but 3 terts now =D> (Mah. - Khorat Basin, Phr. - Upper North and BKK - Bangkok). I also was able to fit some names into the terts instead of having them hang off in the waters. Thanks porken

large (800x800)
Click image to enlarge.

small (640x640)
Click image to enlarge.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 am

grifftron wrote:I am humbled grasshopper.

2010-09-10 11:12:22 - Tennisie [team]: (Confucius voice) You have already taken rice grain from my hand, grasshopper, and have proven yourself worthy. Now, BE FEROCIOUS TIGER!

Lol
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:56 am

It's looking a lot better. But I think you really ought to fit more of the names at least partially onto the territories as I've haphazardly done in this example:

Click image to enlarge.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm

I agree, though Prachuap's label covers up the entire territory, so the troop numbers would then have to be out in the water.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

I'm not really sure why this isn't in gameplay yet? It seems like this should have passed already.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:It's looking a lot better. But I think you really ought to fit more of the names at least partially onto the territories as I've haphazardly done in this example:

OK here you go. I hope this is what you were looking for, I don't really like the look of them squeezed in but maybe we can figure something out later as we go along.

Click image to enlarge.

The Bison King wrote:I'm not really sure why this isn't in gameplay yet? It seems like this should have passed already.

Not a big deal BK. gotta make the standards first. Farang will be out for a week or so soon anyways.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Yeah, the labels being over top of the borders makes them hard to read... Idk how to fix it without putting the label completely in the water.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby porkenbeans on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:18 pm

scaled as in moved up / down a bit? And nudged as in moved to the right / left a bit?

edit: nvm porken, i found what you were talking about on the menu you showed me the other day, looks great, it will be on the next update. =D>

-griff
Last edited by grifftron on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:21 pm

The Bison King wrote:I'm not really sure why this isn't in gameplay yet? It seems like this should have passed already.

It is an unfortunate fact, that new mapmakers have a harder time getting their maps moved up the ladder. I guess I mean, when you already have at least one map under your belt, the community will be more willing to accept that whatever you draft, you will also be capable to finish - and the more you have map medals, the easier it is to get your ideas passed.

I remember when I was making my first map... back then we didn't have melting pot, we had drafting room, but my map stayed in it for months. I guess it's just, new mapmakers have something to prove, in a very literal sense. Once they have quenched their first map, and shown everyone that they are capable of taking a concept and sticking with it to the end, people tend to take further projects... well I wouldn't say more seriously, but more easily invest their time in them. Ideally, everyone should of course invest as much time as possible on all maps, new mapmakers or not, but the fact is, the majority of map projects stall, and it is a minority that actually makes it through... so ok, we don't live in a perfect world, and nothing is ideal, but I think we can all manage within this system.

And as to not further derail this thread, if anyone wants to debate and/or otherwise pursue this train of thought, let's do it in another thread ok ;)
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby grifftron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:59 pm

natty_dread wrote:

It is an unfortunate fact, that new mapmakers have a harder time getting their maps moved up the ladder. I guess I mean, when you already have at least one map under your belt, the community will be more willing to accept that whatever you draft, you will also be capable to finish - and the more you have map medals, the easier it is to get your ideas passed.

I remember when I was making my first map... back then we didn't have melting pot, we had drafting room, but my map stayed in it for months. I guess it's just, new mapmakers have something to prove, in a very literal sense. Once they have quenched their first map, and shown everyone that they are capable of taking a concept and sticking with it to the end, people tend to take further projects... well I wouldn't say more seriously, but more easily invest their time in them. Ideally, everyone should of course invest as much time as possible on all maps, new mapmakers or not, but the fact is, the majority of map projects stall, and it is a minority that actually makes it through... so ok, we don't live in a perfect world, and nothing is ideal, but I think we can all manage within this system.

And as to not further derail this thread, if anyone wants to debate and/or otherwise pursue this train of thought, let's do it in another thread ok ;)

OK, i said i didn't mind staying in here as Farang will be out for a while, but if i move into game play that would be nice too so i can get diff ideas going for game play ;) And I am not that new natty, i have been through the process before, i got a map all the way to the graphics forum before passing it on because of lack of time in RL. Anyways! back to THAILAND! :-$

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby grifftron on Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:04 am

Click image to enlarge.

Looks good porken, thanks for the suggestions, it helps a lot. I changed the Army symbol to the coat of arms symbol. Army symbol looked kinda funny to me... i dunno

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 am

Sorry, 1 quick question:
natty_dread wrote:I remember when I was making my first map... back then we didn't have melting pot, we had drafting room, but my map stayed in it for months.

Is that why they don't give draft stamps anymore?

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby grifftron on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:17 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:Sorry, 1 quick question:
natty_dread wrote:I remember when I was making my first map... back then we didn't have melting pot, we had drafting room, but my map stayed in it for months.

Is that why they don't give draft stamps anymore?

-Sully

Are you guys seriously gonna talk about this in my map thread? :roll:
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby The Bison King on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:27 am

I still feel like you should either pick the cultural icons or the royal army thing, but having both to me seems like over kill.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm

The Bison King wrote:I still feel like you should either pick the cultural icons or the royal army thing, but having both to me seems like over kill.
2nd.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas