Conquer Club

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.11.12] QUENCHED

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RAIL ASIA [14.1.12] V22-P15 Stn Texture applied

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 pm

cairnswk wrote:Guys, i'm pretty happy with this title font where and as it is now...i've grown accustomed to it.

I think you should experiment anyway. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something you like better.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby gimil on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Guys, i'm pretty happy with this title font where and as it is now...i've grown accustomed to it.
I don't want it curved, i don't want to put fireworks on it, i want it as is.

Tut tut cairns...you know better than that. If a reasonable concern has come up you have to address it. Simply claiming 'I like it and don't want to change it' doesn't work [-X
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:15 pm

gimil wrote:
Guys, i'm pretty happy with this title font where and as it is now...i've grown accustomed to it.

Tut tut cairns...you know better than that. If a reasonable concern has come up you have to address it. Simply claiming 'I like it and don't want to change it' doesn't work [-X

gimil, i don't care what you say about tut tut...I have to forgive your absence simply because there is a snow storm in scotland and you have shit internet connections.

So after addressing absolutley everything else in this map, i want 5% of it for myself and that is this title.
I really don't understand why you're being so pig headed about a bloody title.
It does what it does, i like the font used and the way it is. I don't see it as being a reasonable concern either. It isn't as though it is blurry, out of place, illegible, and doesn't identify what the map is.

This is my map, and once again, to the foundry, if this one little piece of a map can't be mine, then let it sit here forever until it is moved back to the bin, and that will be that.

You should know by now gimil, not to challenge me on things that i don't want changed because i am willing to do what i did with Poison Rome and Trafalagar, and all you're really doing is delaying the progress of a map simply because you don't like one aspect of it, and won't let the mapmaker retain some aspect of the map that he thinks is appropriate.

There are many maps in this foundry that have gone through to Quench that have had far less graphical standards on them that this one.

So you be the one to choose, gimil.
Last edited by cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:...
I think you should experiment anyway. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something you like better.
-Sully

Aw shuks sully, i didn't know you cared...good ole Nat. Actually i prefer Rex's version from the movie. In fact if it were possible i'd do a Pygmalion map.
Stet. i still prefer the current title!
Private cairnswk

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:55 pm

cairnswk wrote:
-Sully

Aw shuks sully, i didn't know you cared...good ole Nat. Actually i prefer Rex's version from the movie. In fact if it were possible i'd do a Pygmalion map.

Lol, yes, good ol' Nat :P One of the consistent substitute teachers at the school I work at is related to him ;)

Anyway, I think it's erroneous thinking to say:
cairnswk wrote:So after addressing absolutely everything else in this map, i want 5% of it for myself and that is this title.

All of this map is yours, cairns; don't let anyone tell you any different - including yourself!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
-Sully

Lol, yes, good ol' Nat :P One of the consistent substitute teachers at the school I work at is related to him ;)

cairnswk wrote:So after addressing absolutely everything else in this map, i want 5% of it for myself and that is this title.

All of this map is yours, cairns; don't let anyone tell you any different - including yourself!

-Sully

Sully, i was referring to the fact that you can do a map but after everyone puts their two-bobs worth in,it is no longer you're design after changing everything to accommodate what everyone wants or suggets.
If there is an element that i wish to be on the map, then i'll stick by it regardless of what policy guidelines gimil throws at me.
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL ASIA [14.1.12] V22-P15 Title Stays !!

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:13 am

Hey, wow! We mapmakers can do this now?

I'll just go over all my map threads and say "I'm not going to change this, now stamp this or this goes in the bin!"

Wow! Progress to the foundry process at last! :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:13 am

cairnswk wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
-Sully

-Sully

Sully, i was referring to the fact that you can do a map but after everyone puts their two-bobs worth in,it is no longer you're design after changing everything to accommodate what everyone wants or suggets.
If there is an element that i wish to be on the map, then i'll stick by it regardless of what policy guidelines gimil throws at me.

I still disagree. Everything on this map says "cairnswk" to me. You should look at early drafts of koontz's Rorke's Drift or 1982. Drastically different from what they are now, but there is no less "koontz" in those maps. On the contrary, I'd say there's more of him in them now!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:17 am

cairnswk wrote:If there is an element that i wish to be on the map, then i'll stick by it regardless of what policy guidelines gimil throws at me.

So you get to ignore foundry policies and guidelines, and if the foundry mods don't like it they can just bin your map?

Then I say they should just bin your map. No one should get any extra freedoms in the foundry, the rules should be the same for everyone, no matter if they've made 2 or 30 maps.

cairnswk wrote:There are many maps in this foundry that have gone through to Quench that have had far less graphical standards on them that this one.

You should also know by now that this is no excuse. That some crappy map got through at some point doesn't mean we should let every map be crappy... If standards were lower in the past, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't enforce higher standards now.

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 am

Cairns, you know I only mean well to you, I love a lot of your maps (and hate some of them) and we all get frustrated at the mapmaking process sometimes.

But I think what you're doing now is a bit unfair. If you have a reasonable counter to a feedback, then it's ok to debate your point, but just saying "I want this to be like this, end of discussion" is really not how the foundry process is supposed to work. Every other mapmaker here has to abide by the guidelines, everyone here has to address all feedback in a reasonable manner. You should know by now how the foundry works, you've been here for a while now...

Furthermore, just because you accept advice and/or feedback from others doesn't make your map any less your map. Now, several people have pointed out that they have issues with the title, and you should try to do something to get those issues addressed. Maybe you'll be surprised, maybe you'll find something that even you will think is much better than what you have now. But it's never a good idea to dig in your heels and refuse to work further. That's just detrimental to the entire mapmaking process.

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:32 am

natty_dread wrote:Hey, wow! We mapmakers can do this now?

I'll just go over all my map threads and say "I'm not going to change this, now stamp this or this goes in the bin!"

Wow! Progress to the foundry process at last! :roll:

And you who have dished up minimalist attempts at Yugoslavia and London can shout all you like ...

Afterall, i get the same thing from you on some of my suggestions which is why i don't bnother commenting on your maps anymore.
Got the picture sunshine.

I didn't say i wasn't going to complete the map. I said i wanted to retain the font on the title, but if gimil has his guideline way, then "he" can bin the map. I am quite happy to complete other suggestions as to what might need doing on this map, but i refuse to change the title font, because i am happy with it and think it suits.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:35 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:....
I still disagree. Everything on this map says "cairnswk" to me. You should look at early drafts of koontz's Rorke's Drift or 1982. Drastically different from what they are now, but there is no less "koontz" in those maps. On the contrary, I'd say there's more of him in them now!
-Sully

Yes and so there should be, it was me who went through the tiresome process almost tearing my hair out with koontz1973 to get him to basically get this legend in Rorke's Drift correct and legible. And yes he has come a long way.
I still want the title font retained.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:35 am

cairnswk wrote:Afterall, i get the same thing from you on some of my suggestions which is why i don't bnother commenting on your maps anymore.
Got the picture sunshine.

Really Cairns?

Wow, I had no idea. Well, let's make it mutual, I won't be bothering your map threads anymore. Have a good day.

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:38 am

natty_dread wrote:Cairns, you know I only mean well to you, I love a lot of your maps (and hate some of them) and we all get frustrated at the mapmaking process sometimes.

But I think what you're doing now is a bit unfair. If you have a reasonable counter to a feedback, then it's ok to debate your point, but just saying "I want this to be like this, end of discussion" is really not how the foundry process is supposed to work. Every other mapmaker here has to abide by the guidelines, everyone here has to address all feedback in a reasonable manner. You should know by now how the foundry works, you've been here for a while now...

Furthermore, just because you accept advice and/or feedback from others doesn't make your map any less your map. Now, several people have pointed out that they have issues with the title, and you should try to do something to get those issues addressed. Maybe you'll be surprised, maybe you'll find something that even you will think is much better than what you have now. But it's never a good idea to dig in your heels and refuse to work further. That's just detrimental to the entire mapmaking process.

Addressed above.
And Natty, i don't hate your as person, but i also mean well to you too.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 am

And besides: no, you don't get "the same thing" from me on my map threads. I never turn down feedback on the grounds of "I want it this way", if I disagree with a suggestion I always give a good reason for it and am willing to debate the point, but I never just say "this is how I want it and if it's not good enough you can bin it".

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:24 am

It does what it does, i like the font used and the way it is. I don't see it as being a reasonable concern either. It isn't as though it is blurry, out of place, illegible, and doesn't identify what the map is.

I would have thought that the reasons supplied in these feedbacks were suitable enough...happy with it, accustomed to it, don't want it curved, don't want it with fireworks, it isn't blurry, it isn't out of place, it isn't illegiible, and oops does identify what the map is.

I think it is everyone else who is being obstinate as not accepting my decision. Sorry guys.
Title stays.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 am

natty_dread wrote:And besides: no, you don't get "the same thing" from me on my map threads. I never turn down feedback on the grounds of "I want it this way", if I disagree with a suggestion I always give a good reason for it and am willing to debate the point, but I never just say "this is how I want it and if it's not good enough you can bin it".

Response taken to PM :)
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL ASIA [19.1.12] V23-P15 Signatures

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Version 23
Gilligan added doing the XML...signatures and instructions adjusted,
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [19.1.12] V23-P15 Signatures

Postby natty dread on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 am

The title needs work. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the map and looks out of place.

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 am

Why is your sig smaller than gilligans? He got the easy part.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:34 am

koontz1973 wrote:Why is your sig smaller than gilligans? He got the easy part.

Because his font works better larger, and besides my name is on the map twice including the butterfly :-$
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 am

natty_dread wrote:The title needs work. It doesn't fit in with the rest of the map and looks out of place.

Thanks for your opinion natty.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:55 am

How about something like this?

Click image to enlarge.

The font I used is called "Rugamika". It can be downloaded here:

http://www.dafont.com/rugamika.font

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:36 am

Looks worse.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:45 am

koontz1973 wrote:Looks worse.

I agree, that's one font i won't be downloading. Sorry Natty.
I prefer the title font as is.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas