Conquer Club

Re: RAIL ASIA [1.11.12] QUENCHED

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RAIL ASIA [12.3.12] V31-P28 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:12 am

natty dread wrote:What I mean is, export the image from Coreldraw into a PNG, without the stations... the same way you originally saved the image directly from coreldraw. Then import that PNG as a regular layer in photoshop. Then just add the stations in photoshop like you did before. That way, the background should look the same way as originally, when you only used coreldraw.

I am already doing your suggestion...are you not seeing the deterioration in the image when it is exported from CD to a png?
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [12.3.12] V31-P28 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:14 am

ender516 wrote:Could ImageMagick be of any assistance here? I understand that it is quite the image file converter.

Thanks ender516. i'll have a look at this.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:12 pm

cairnswk wrote:
natty dread wrote:What I mean is, export the image from Coreldraw into a PNG, without the stations... the same way you originally saved the image directly from coreldraw. Then import that PNG as a regular layer in photoshop. Then just add the stations in photoshop like you did before. That way, the background should look the same way as originally, when you only used coreldraw.

I am already doing your suggestion...are you not seeing the deterioration in the image when it is exported from CD to a png?

Ok, I really don't see how that is possible.

How did you originally save your map, when you only used Coreldraw? Why didn't it deteriorate then?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:38 pm

natty dread wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Ok, I really don't see how that is possible.

How did you originally save your map, when you only used Coreldraw? Why didn't it deteriorate then?

CD saves as .cdr. CD can export as a png/jpg/gif/psd/ai...i exported as a .png which you have often told me in the past is the best. It did deteriorate then...but that is part of what i am saying. It deterioraites enough when saving from CD to .png. importing that png into program and then exporting it again only deteriorates it further.
Now, please enought of this one, i know you're only trying to help, but let's move on.
Private cairnswk

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

cairnswk wrote:It deterioraites enough when saving from CD to .png. importing that png into program and then exporting it again only deteriorates it further.

Ok, that shouldn't be possible.

I get it that you lose some quality when you save as PNG from CD, since CD is a vector software. But when you import that PNG to photoshop, it should stay the same. PNG is a lossless format. If I import a PNG image as a layer in GIMP, then save that image again as PNG, it stays exactly the same. The same should apply to photoshop by all logic.

I can see a couple of possible explanations here:

- maybe you are saving the image as an 8-bit indexed png instead of a 24 bit RGB png? PNG supports both 24-bit and 8-bit colour modes, so if you're saving as an 8-bit PNG, you'll obviously lose some detail and colour depth. You could check the settings in both softwares and see if there are options to how the PNG:s are exported.

- another explanation is that you have some sort of filters or adjustment layers active in photoshop which modify the original PNG somehow.

- or maybe you're not working in rgb mode in photoshop? if you're working in some other colourspace, like cmyk or ycbcr, it can modify the image.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P28 Final adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Version 31.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

http://www.peeje.com/files/360857598/Ra ... inal_6.xml
Attachments
Rail_Asia_Final_6.xml
(31.29 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P29 Final adjustments

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:11 pm

[Moved] back to the final forge.

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Thank god for that. Great job cairnswk. Lets hope that is the last of the delays.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ender516 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 pm

The stations look rock solid now.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P29 BETA Ready

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Good work cairsnwk! =D>

Time for the last call:

Last Call

The map has passed through rigorous gameplay and graphics examinations and all major concerns have been addressed. If you have any other concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be stamped and submitted for the Beta period.

Please, post questions and concerns if any.

thenobodies80

Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P29 BETA Ready

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Beta - Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Rail Asia Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Beta Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for BETA Play. After an extended period of time in BETA and once all quirks and issues have been resolved, the map will be put into Full Play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

While the map is in BETA Play, there are a couple of administrative tasks that are required of the mapmaker(s) in addition to the initial gameplay testing:
    1. Please ensure that the first post of the thread contains all the necessary information to help future visitors to the development thread; it's particularly important to ensure the most recent images are there, along with any helpful guides (such as gameplay quirks/nuances or the location/size of any starting neutrals etc.)
    2. Finally, it is the responsibility of the mapmaker(s) to ensure that they respond to further feedback in a timely and constructive manner.

thenobodies80

Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P29 BETA Ready

Postby Gilligan on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Cool beans times two :)
Captain Gilligan

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:18 am

Superb. Great work cairns.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:37 pm

koontz1973 wrote:Superb. Great work cairns.

Thanks koontz :)
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P29 BETA Live!

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm

I just tried a 1v1 speed game 1 min limit on this....connections work well...but i was done by the tryanny of distance getting the message to my computer and lack of fast internet connection...what a disaster for me!
Private cairnswk

Re: Re: RAIL ASIA [15.3.12] V31-P29 BETA Live!

Postby onbekende on Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:39 pm

Its cairnswk with trains o/
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 pm

onbekende wrote:Its cairnswk with trains o/

Private cairnswk

Postby xman5151 on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:04 pm

I never venture into these forums - but I must say I really like this one, I think it is very easy to understand how everything connects in comparison to older rail maps (Granted I have no idea who made the old rail maps, but still :)). Great job on it, I like the presentation!!!
Private xman5151

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:17 pm

xman5151 wrote:I never venture into these forums - but I must say I really like this one, I think it is very easy to understand how everything connects in comparison to older rail maps (Granted I have no idea who made the old rail maps, but still :)). Great job on it, I like the presentation!!!

Thanks xman5151...glad to hear you're pleased with it...ah, i made the older rail maps expect for Rail USA (although my idea)
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:50 pm

cairnswk is the trainman :D

lets start a game on this one :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:13 pm

onbekende wrote:cairnswk is the trainman :D

lets start a game on this one :D

Done!
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Tue May 01, 2012 11:16 am

MHD can not attack DSH B. That wasn't very clear to me when playing.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 01, 2012 3:02 pm

chapcrap wrote:MHD can not attack DSH B. That wasn't very clear to me when playing.

Mmm. think it is quite clear given there is a brown line running from MHD to DSH.
Private cairnswk

Postby chapcrap on Tue May 01, 2012 5:43 pm

cairnswk wrote:
chapcrap wrote:MHD can not attack DSH B. That wasn't very clear to me when playing.

Mmm. think it is quite clear given there is a brown line running from MHD to DSH.

It's not that clear. The shades aren't very distinguishable, IMO. And it's odd that the connection isn't there anyway, given the fact that both terts are connected and the B line is on both of them. I don't remember seeing that happen in any of the other rail maps.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 01, 2012 9:44 pm

chapcrap wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

It's not that clear. The shades aren't very distinguishable, IMO. And it's odd that the connection isn't there anyway, given the fact that both terts are connected and the B line is on both of them. I don't remember seeing that happen in any of the other rail maps.

chapcrap, just because it doesn't happen on any other rail map, doesn't mean it can't happen on this one. So there are three of these stations on this map. It's not odd, just designed that way...as tnb80 said to me just recently..."get used to it" - it part of gameplay designed in this map.
Yes, stations like MHD are on Rail Africa and in that case all lines running throught those stations are indicated on the map.
There are several station like MHD on Rail Australia and in each case, lines end at those stations because of the state system we have in Australia.
Rail Europe is much like Rail Africa as is Rail USA - but there is no double line running from MHD to DSH - surely that yould have alerted you to something different going on here if you were playing on the premise of this being similar to what you thought happened on other rail maps.
All it means on this map is that MHD only has one terminus which serves both rail lines instead of having two lines running to DSH which does not happen here, consequently you can't assault from MHD to DSH B along the brown line.
You'll know better for next game you play.
As for the shades, and no offense but are you colour-blind?
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas